1st year teacher and pregnant?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Geologygirl, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Nov 30, 2014

So I am a first year teacher at a good school. I recently found out I am pregnant and due in mid-july and I have some questions and concerns. Since school starts early-mid Aug I think I may need to miss at least 2-3 weeks of school at the beginning of the year ( in order for the kid to be 6 weeks old and able to go into daycare).

Do you think that I will get rehired for next year when they find out I am pregnant and have to miss 2-3 weeks of school?

Since I would be employed a year at the beginning of Aug can I get FMLA time off for being pregnant or will the summer off time not count towards the year of employment you need to get FMLA?

How did you guys deal with morning sickness while teaching? So far its only nausea for me, and I have medication, but I am still scared I may need to vomit at some point when I am teaching.

How long should I wait to tell people at school? I am scared to say anything yet because I am so new, plus also there is still the chance of miscarriage.

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 30, 2014

Wait until at least after the first trimester to tell anyone. I wouldn't worry too much about your pregnancy being a factor in contract renewal. My guess is that you would not qualify for FMLA, but if you're only thinking of taking two weeks, you can probably sneak yourself through without needing FMLA.

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 30, 2014

They cannot NOT hire you back because you are pregnant.

First and foremost, congratulations on your baby!

Please, listen to this-you won't get this opportunity back again. Your health, your baby's health, and your family's happiness must be most important right now. You can tell people whenever you want. Personally, we didn't wait to tell anyone, and wouldn't again, even if something tragic did happen-God forbid, if I was hurting, I would want to be able to lean on my family. But that's me-you have to make that decision based on your family's needs. Also, I went into my interview 7 months pregnant, and had my baby on the second day of school during my first year-it was hard, but I survived, and so did the kids.

Think of it this way-if a school fires you because you are bringing a child into the world, do you really want to work for them?

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Nov 30, 2014

Tell whenever you feel comfortable. With my second, I had to tell my P at 5 weeks because I had horrible morning sickness and taught in a portable, it was a bit of a safety concern if I had to run out.

It shouldn't be an issue with missing 2-3 weeks. Teachers do it all the time. I'm not sure about summer time counting toward your FMLA, I would contact your HR department about that.

If it makes you feel any better, both my pregnancies were also during my first year in new schools. Neither P had an issue.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 30, 2014

Set another alarm for about two hours before you have to get up and have a protein snack on the nightstand. That should help keep morning sickness at bay. Or at least make it more bearable.

7. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Nov 30, 2014

I was pregnant during my first year, with my baby due the first day of workdays (August 19th, 2013), and I was renewed with the intention of taking off months. The district I worked for allowed any teacher, regardless of time in the job, up to one year off unpaid for maternity leave. But your "exact position" was not guaranteed. For example, if you are a 4th grade teacher and you were out a year, you might come back the next year as a Kindergarten teacher, 1st grade teacher, ISS Teacher, whatever... but you would be renewed.

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 30, 2014

I'll speak for myself, but I'm sure most administrators will echo my sentiments: I base renewal/non-renewal on teacher performance--not on whether or not they're pregnant.

Last year, we had three teachers on leave at the same time! It wasn't ideal, but we made it work. We were so happy when they finally came back, though! One (of the three) ended up taking off the entire year.

Congrats and hugs!

9. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Dec 3, 2014

They cannot rehire someone based on whether you are pregnant or not… my wife got pregnant her first year. There were a couple of days that she took off because of morning sickness etc.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 3, 2014

It's true that employers can't use pregnancy as a factor in the decision to rehire, but there are ways around that. If you believe that your admin might hold your pregnancy against you, I would recommend not saying a word about it. You're not ever obligated to share your personal medical information with your employer, and that includes pregnancy.

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Dec 3, 2014

FMLA is based on a calendar date of hiring, or becoming an active teacher. It will all depend on what HR has as your hire date. Hope all will be good for you. As someone with multiple miscarriages right at the end of the first trimester, I tend to go with waiting until after that time, but that never includes closest family members, if that is comfortable to you.

12. Topsy

Topsy Rookie

Dec 3, 2014

Congratulations!

On both the pregnancy AND your job!

While I don't have the experience with managing FMLA with teaching, I do have morning sickness advice:

The suggestion to have a high protein snack ready at your bedside will help ENORMOUSLY with nausea. An empty stomach is an invitation to queasiness, so I carried snacks with me at all times. Nuts are great, as are peanut butter or cheese crackers, cheese sticks, dried fruit, granola bar or cereal.

Likewise, a very full stomach was also an invitation for queasiness for me.

Every pregnancy is different. You might not even get morning sickness (which, don't be fooled, can happen at any time!). You might hone in on something you MUST have (for me, it was cashews and pineapple), or there might be certain tastes or smells that set you off.