1st year advice

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by ajquiett, Jun 15, 2009.

1. ajquiett

ajquiett Rookie

Jun 15, 2009

What is the best advice you can give to a first year teacher that he or she did not learn while in college?

3. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

Jun 15, 2009

Classroom Management is key!! They can't teach you that in a college course. You have to experience it.

And BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!! If you don't, the kids, parents, or administration won't!

4. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Jun 16, 2009

The best planned lesson taught in the latest delivery system will have little effect on a bunch of kids goofing off and staring out the window. Discipline must always come before instruction.

5. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jun 16, 2009

I agree with the management part.

Also, take care of the paperwork as it comes up. Don't let it pile up or you will quickly be overwhelmed.

6. Irma

Irma Companion

Jun 16, 2009

Establish positive communication with parents at the beginning of the year. When a problem comes up, they will be easier to approach and talk with.

Look to your lead teachers with respect- if you have someone you're working with (mentor) or is your team lead, show them respect and offer to be flexible and part of a team.

7. K_luv30

K_luv30 Rookie

Jun 18, 2009

OMG there are so many! Like the others mentioned classroom management is key, and not just enforcing rules but have a set procedure for EVERYTHING and keeping it the SAME so each and every student can do it blindfolded! And spend as much time as you need in the beginning to practice. I mean practice until EVERY student does it correctly. You will feel bad because it will only be one or two students ruining it after the 25th time doing it, but trust me, stick to your guns so every student in the class knows you mean business!! It will pay off, trust me!

I can go on and on, but it's the 'behind the scenes' stuff that helps with classroom management like making sure you have all your copies, lessons, materials prepared for the day. You'd be amazed how a few seconds of fumbling around for a paper, or whatever, can cause you to lose a class! I can go on and on about this stuff because if you can't tell, I've had to learn the hard way, and still learning it!

Also, this is random, but be prepared for A LOT of interruptions...From people walking in and out, phone ringing, intercom announements, bugs, fire drills, etc., etc., but you learn quickly to become flexible and just go with the flow.

Hopefully this made sense, and was somewhat helpful! I know it's a lot, but DON'T WORRY, you'll be fine; if anything, they're learning experiences and will teach you A LOT about yourself! =)

8. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 18, 2009

Welcome to the site, ajquiett! This past year was my first year of teaching and I found the New Teachers forum here very useful with getting through my first year.

These are some threads from that forum you should check out that I think will help answer your question...
    Beginning Teacher Checklist
    If I had only known... [New Teacher Tips]
    Wong's First Day Script
    Are you using anything you learned in college?
    What books on teaching should a newbie teacher read?

Hope this helps! There's some amazing threads full of wisdom where ever you go on this site :)