1st year--6th grade math

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by tb71, Aug 7, 2009.

1. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Aug 7, 2009

Help! I will be teaching 6th grade math and am feeling a bit overwhelmed. I don't know where to start....
    **I know elementary teachers contact the students with a post card or phone call b/f school--do you do this in intermediate? I will be having 1 homeroom +2 other classes.
    **Do you assign seats or let them choose the first week?
    **I'm thinking the standard "stop light" behavior system is a little too young for this age--what do you use?
    Thanks!!!

3. Ms. T

Ms. T Rookie

Aug 7, 2009

I do not contact students before school starts. I do not get a students list until a couple of days before school starts. I assign seats the first day. After a couple of weeks I will rearrange the seating based on need and observation. I agree that the stoplight system is too young for 6th graders. I use positive reinforcement and start teaching procedures/routines the first day. Hope this helps.

4. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Aug 8, 2009

That helps a lot--Thanks Ms. T!

5. newtothis2006

newtothis2006 Rookie

Aug 16, 2009

We do not contact the parents/students before the start of school but we have a meet the teacher night the week before. Students and parents flow in and out of classrooms informally meeting the teachers. Depending on the number of students you have, you could send a generic letter to each introducing yourself and sharing your enthusiasm. For classroom seats, I have let them choose in the past but this year I am going to try something different because they will always sit next to their friends. I am going to number index cards with all the periods 1-6 and place the students name next to the period. I will put them in alphabetical order for night now. I want them to get to know those students and then as soon as they're comfortable I will switch it up. Yes, I agree the stop light system is too young. I use a social contact (capturing kids hearts) to manage classroom behavior. With this students come up with the classroom behavior expectations and self check themselves and others daily. Hope you have a great year!