1st week of 3rd grade

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by AZKinderTchr, Jun 24, 2006.

1. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jun 24, 2006

I will be teaching 3rd grade in a new school in a new state this year. I am really starting to get nervous. I spent a year and a half in kindergarten and finally feel comfy with that. Ah well.....

My question is, what to do week 1. In kinder, I started the first day of school with the Kissing Hand. Then we did a good morning song in a circle and some other name activities to try to learn each other's names. During the week we revisit the Kissing Hand and connected activities.

This is too young I think for 3rd graders. How should I start out??

3. Iteachtwo

Iteachtwo Companion

Jun 24, 2006

Maybe a name activity the first two days. Most students know each other from 1st/2nd grades so they really just need to become familiar w/transfer ins. I teach 2nd and I think the good morning song in a circle may have been a little too premature for them. But the book w/activities for a 2-3 days sounds like a good idea. I did it Stellaluna the first week of school.

4. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jun 24, 2006

Oh geesh....I hadn't even thought about how they will know each other I will be the NEW one. Oh boy, this is going to be a challenge.

5. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 24, 2006

First Day Jitters by Julie Danneberg. I love this book. Buy Beyond the Ridge. Put in away, when you have a student, parent or somebody that effects the class. Get it out and read it to the class. It is the best I have ever read. Short, simple and good. You will use it someday and will be glad you have it.

A cute way to introduce yourself. A paper bag with stuff. A picture of yourself, picture of your family, a picture of your pet or a stuff animal that looks like your pet. and etc.

6. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jun 24, 2006

Ooooh I love the idea of the paper bag! I could make mine, show them on the first day and send home bags for them to put together at home and bring back to share with the class the next day! I KNEW I could count on this board for good ideas.

7. PegL

PegL New Member

Jun 24, 2006

Regarding the first week of third grade....
    I have been teaching 3rd grade for several years. Each year I choose a theme to begin my year. If it's the year of the Olympics, that might be my theme. I've used camping where we set up "tents". One summer my husband and I went to Hawaii and so that was my theme and we even tie-dyed t-shirts. This year we are going to use the Magic Treehouse books and kick off the year that way.
    I meet the kids that first day with a token from my theme..Hawaii...a Hawaiian flip/flop necklace...pencils with sails for a beach theme, etc. Kids are excited that they are getting a gift and are part of the group. All activities are centered around this theme..getting to know you...a bit of math and all content areas. I decorate the room a bit and put THEIR decorated activities up so that THEY are part of the room. Last year I used Charlie and the Chocolate factory as my theme and found so much out there for this theme. Kids come back, year after year, and say, "I remember when we camped and went on a scavenger hunt (to get to know the school), etc." It's a time they remember and also a way to ease them in to the first week of school. It's worked for me. Good luck!;)

8. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 24, 2006

http://www.graves.k12.ky.us/powerpoints/elementary/
    There a lots of power points at this site ready to use.

Books lots of books. I think every classroom needs a library in the classroom. Leveling books.
    www.renlearn.com AR click on quizzes. In the blank type in author or use the arrow button and go to author and type in author. Tells the points the books is worth, grade level and etc.
    All AR books are kept together and other books are together along the other wall. First and Second grade room books are kept in plastic baskets. 3rd , 4th, 5tth, 6th and etc are on shelves. In the reading room K or emergent readers and first, second and third levels are kept in baskets and others on shelves. There are only AR books in the reading room. We have a reading room and reading teacher, she gives extra reading help. This is like a library. Students Star test in the reading room (4 computers) and in their classrooms. All the classrooms have three or four computers. AR dots. Green=1.0 to 1.5, Blue 1.6 to 2.0, Red 2..1 to 2.5, Yellow 2.6 to 3.0, Orange 3.1 to 4.0, I can’t remember until I go back to school the other colors. We use the same colors for all classrooms for that level. Reading room, LD room and classrooms all have the same color for the same level. All books have the wrap around AR label with the book number, level and points it is worth. And the dot is just above this label along the edge, so you can see the level at a quick glance. Use clear shipping tape to cover and protect the labels. And keep the dots from popping off. *****buy the wrap around labels at the AR site. www.renlearn.com 3 ¾ by 1 ½ , click on On Line Store---yellow spot, the green box, next click on reading, next click on AR and go down to the AR Handwritten book labels, Pack of 100……
    *******If you have lots of books than divide the levels into more baskets. And this will depend on how many books you have for each subject. Mice, Earth, Birthday, Jobs, Christmas, Filmstrip, Fairy Tales, Curious George, Bears, Eggs, Mystery, Dinosaurs and Monsters, Animals, Cats and Dogs, Holidays, Eric Carle, (Clifford, Amelia Bedilla, Arthur) Birds, Horses, Pond, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Rain forest, and etc….. If you have more questions let me know…. I don’t think there is any right way or wrong way. Just whatever works for you….

* Teach them www.bookadventure.com. Some students love to read the books and then take the bookadventure.com reading comprehension test. It tracks points earned and some kids really like this. If you have an accelerated reader program in your school it works the same way.

There is a place on AtoZ that tells about leveling books also. Somebody please guide her to it.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

10. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Jun 24, 2006

This is my first day book too! The kids LOVE it!

11. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jun 25, 2006

Here's another question for you all. I have an addiction to children's pictures books so even though I have only been teaching for a year and a half I have a ton! Are the kids going to think these are baby books? I have maybe 10 or so chapter books that are old enough for them and I will buy alot more once I start getting paid again, but have not been able to spend money b/c of the expense of my move. Are all these wonderful books going to end up in a closet?

12. Dee452

Dee452 Comrade

Jun 25, 2006

You could use the picture books for writing. They could compare and contrast the authors writing style, different genres, illustrators. Just an idea if you have different books around the same theme they could make up a different form of the story for a readers theater. They could use your books as read aloud books to pre-school and kindergarten students.

13. ctopher

ctopher Comrade

Jun 25, 2006

They will still love the picture books, even though they might not admit it! I've heard students ooooo and ahhhhh over books they remember other teachers reading in past grades or favorites their parents used to read to them. I agree though there are great activities you can use them for like writing etc.

How about starting the year with the Black Lagoon series? It might be especially appropriate for you this year because they won't have heard very much about you since you are moving there. It might be a fun way to see what kind of preconceived ideas they had about what you would be like. The series is also a great way to get students to think about and appreciate all of the other teachers and staff members in the building. My second graders beg me to read the whole series to them once I start. Third graders would be able to read the books on their own or let each student pick 1 (there are many) and have them read it outloud to the class. I've also invited a staff member into the room to read the book like the principal for The Principal From the Black Lagoon etc.

14. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Jun 25, 2006

I teach 3rd and also use First Day Jitters on the 1st day. :)

As Dee said, use your picture books for writing lessons. I do this a lot. Many of the books that we use they have already read, but they enjoy hearing them again. :)

15. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 25, 2006

You will have some students that are lower and need the picture books. Buy used books at garage sales, thrift shops, Salvation Army Stores, and etc. Scholastic Books have good prices and earn free books. Book It by Pizza Hut is an extra reading project that we do. Students earn free pizza. This is not required. Don't make the requirements are hard as they suggest. it is more important that students read and not give up when they get behind. Make a bunch of bookmarks, use clip art and print on colored paper. We laminate ours. Buy a few. A pad of sticky notes. Put them in a big basket in your library area.
    Be sure to level your books. Some pictures books are higher levels.

16. stacye

stacye Rookie

Jun 25, 2006

Don't worry about using the picture books. I used them with 4th and 5th graders, especially with writing.

Best of luck to you!!