1st to 3rd

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by EagleTeacher, Jul 2, 2009.

1. EagleTeacher

EagleTeacher Rookie

Jul 2, 2009

I may be moving from first to third grade. What are some things that will be different? What should I expect? I really want to be prepared for the transition.

3. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

Jul 21, 2009

I am making the same move this year as well...however I've taught 3rd before. Things that I am looking forward to is the fact that you can have more in depth conversations. I felt I had way more teachable moments in 3rd grade. They are also able to work more independently which will give you more time to assist struggling students. I still did reading groups everyday but instead of a set grouping, I chose to work on certain objectives each week and pull the students that need assistance with that skill. Sometimes the skills required more time so I may continue with that group and add smaller/less time consuming skills as needed to effectively use independent work time to my advantage. My back definitely didn't hurt as much teaching 3rd as it did with little 1st graders. I didn't have to bend over to tie shoes, help hold a pencil correctly, etc. I'm interested in what differences other teachers mention for you.

4. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 30, 2009

Would like more info if anyone has any?

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 30, 2009

Well Eagle, when you ask students to read independently, they (generally) won't be saying the words outloud as they do in 1st grade. Third graders have typically transitioned to silent reading. Most will have transitioned to chapter books. Third grade is a year when you move from the concrete into the abstract. While you still use manipulatives to teach, you will find students need the abiity to solve problems without manipulatives as well.

It is often said that in 1st and 2nd, you learn to read, but in 3rd and 4th, you read to learn. The actual process of reading is no longer the focus (except for struggling students). Reading is a means of exploring ideas, gaining knowledge, and exploring other views of the world.

Students in 3rd are beginning to recognize that authors have a purpose in writing. There is very little use of invented spellling, and basic mechanics of capitalizing each sentence and using ending puctuation should now be routine.

Students are being to understand the concepts of paragraphs (they explore them in 2nd, but the deeper understanding tends to come in 3rd.) The clustering of thoughs and ideas begins to "make sense." Sequencing and transitions begin to flow.

6. teacher114

teacher114 New Member

Aug 1, 2009

I am also moving from 1st to 3rd. I am also switching schools, so it will be a big transition. I have questions about the basics. What do your bulletin boards look like? Do you use name tags with information on them like letters/numbers/shapes or just a sentence strip with their name? Are they writing and reading cursive, so should their name tags and objectives be written in cursive? Any other info about classroom setup would be great! Thanks.

7. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

Aug 5, 2009

I teach cursive in 3rd so nothing is in cursive until after it has been taught.