1st to 3rd

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by Musicalgator, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Musicalgator

Musicalgator Companion

Mar 22, 2009

I've pretty much gotten the heads up that I'll be making the move from first grade to 3rd! I'm very excited about the move. What's a few things that you would recommend for my new grade level. I have a huge picture book library....can you give me recommendations of chapter books (both for kids to read or for me to read aloud). What is your must have in your classroom? What about music in the classroom?

Thank you and I look forward to any advice!

3. tgim

tgim Habitué

Apr 3, 2009

I absolutely LOVE anything by Tom Chapin, as far as music goes! Try him, you will love him, especially with Earth Day coming up.

Picture books are still loved by 8/9 year olds, but chapter books are a must...Judy Moody, Bailey School Kids, Magic Treehouse, Wayside School, Spiderwick Chronicles, Flat Stanley, Junie B. Jones, Hank Zipzer (? - I know it is written by Henry Winkler, aka the Fonz!) - all are great series full of high-interest stories.

I taught 3rd for several years and LOVE grades 2/3/4 - so enjoy!

4. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Apr 5, 2009

When I first started teaching third grade, I was surprised by how much my students still enjoy picture books. They seemed so grown up...at first...:p

I start every year reading Sideways Stories from Wayside School out loud. This book is definitely my must have. This year we ended up reading all three! Students in the past have also enjoyed Holes, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, Coraline, A Dog's Life (careful - I cried!) and anything by Roald Dahl.

Tgim has some great suggestions. Other series I would add are Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Sister Magic, Stink (Judy Moody's little brother), Goosebumps, and Clementine.

I have lots of Putumayo CDs on hand for background music when appropriate.

I'm excited for you - third graders are terrific! :thumb:

5. teachtech

teachtech Rookie

Apr 6, 2009

I will be watching this tread as I too am moving from 1st to 3rd next year. I am glad to hear that they still like the picture books because most of my library consists of them! Thanks for the suggestions so far!

6. FootballGal

FootballGal Companion

May 21, 2009

I too found out I'll be moving from 1st to 3rd next year. Not too happy about it. Hopefully I can get some ideas from here.

7. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

May 24, 2009

me too!

I am moving to third next year too, from first! I am so excited! I taught third two years ago, and I missed it so much! I am ready for a change! :)