1st or 2nd????

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by undecided, Jul 20, 2009.

1. undecided

undecided New Member

Jul 20, 2009

I am currently in the position of deciding whether to teach 1st or 2nd grade. I am coming from 5th grade.

Please post if you've taught 1st or 2nd and tell me your opinion, pros/cons of the grade to help me make my choice.

Thanks!!!

3. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Jul 20, 2009

I teach 2nd currently, and taught 5th right before. I will say this - there is a HUGE difference between 1st and 2nd. First graders are just getting used to a full day and tend to be much more needy and much less independent. Second graders can be more independent and are used to a full day of school. I still found it to be quite an adjustment moving down to 2nd, but anytime I'm in a first grade classroom, I'm always stunned by how different they are! If you really enjoy the little ones, go for first! But if you'd prefer to have more independent kids, go for second. First grade is also such a different curriculum - the basics of phonics and handwriting and letters. Second graders have the basics down and just need fine tuning and improvement. Good luck, and I guarantee that no matter which one you pick, you'll love it!

4. JoviHawk

JoviHawk Rookie

Jul 20, 2009

2nd grade for sure!! I've taught both. Second graders are fabulous! You'll love it. First graders are very needy. Second graders are little more independent.

5. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 20, 2009

I much prefer second graders (though I would take either right now!) and I assume you may be more comfortable coming from grade five to grade two than grade one...

6. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2009

I have taught both for several years each and Grade 2 without a doubt.
    First graders are needy, expect EVERYTHING to be fun, and parents expect that too.

7. gab

gab Comrade

Jul 20, 2009

I've taught both, as well as K. Currently teaching 2nd but thought about going back to 1st because I miss it...I miss seeing the amount of growth a 1st grader makes, which is significant.

8. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Jul 20, 2009

2nd is much easier. I've taught K, 1, and 2. When I say it is much easier, that's all around, curriculum, maturity, your sanity. I like all three grades, but the easiest of the three in my opinion is 2nd.

9. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2009

Many of my friends have taught 2nd and say it's probably the easiest of all the grades to teach. (They said this, not me!!) I've never taught younger than 4th so I really don't know. Maybe you could look at your district's curriculum for both 1st and 2nd, compare, and then make a decision.

10. Bridiecakes

Bridiecakes Companion

Jul 20, 2009

I have heard that 2nd is easier too. I taught first for three years and now teach K. There is a LOT of growth in first grade though, and that can be rewarding. I have never taught 2nd, but they do seem much more independent.

11. prek176

prek176 Companion

Jul 20, 2009

I'm coming down from 5th to 1st so appreciate the insight into the neediness. I do have quite a bit of experience with preschool but it was nice to have independent kids in 5th. I could talk to them about a lot of current events etc. I am preparing myself for a huge change! Good luck to you!!

12. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 20, 2009

I love 2nd. First graders are too "needy" for my taste. They are so little! I love the way 2nd graders are just starting to discover their independence.

13. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2009

2nd 2nd 2nd!