1st observation tomorrow!!! HELP :)

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by classemom, Oct 15, 2007.

1. classemom

classemom Rookie

Oct 15, 2007

My first observation is tomorrow....the principal is suppose to come in during our reading centers time....one thing I know he will be looking for is to see if we state the objectives and that the kids know what they are....I guess my objectives would be that they read independently at whisper phones, sort the letter/sound buckets correctly, read independtly at teacher table, pair items correctly at pocket chart & listen at listening center. Am i right? These don't seem higher level enough do they? That is also a biggee....the higher level thinking. Any thoughts would greatly be appreciated...I am a first year teacher...so this is my first observation, besides student teaching. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

3. smgreen78

smgreen78 Rookie

Oct 15, 2007

I would think the objective for silent reading would be that they increase fluency and phrasing, practice retell, increase rate, etc...

The objective for sorting letter/sound buckets correctly would be that they know that phonemes are interchangeable, letters make sounds, sounds make words, etc...

Listening center objective would be listening to fluency, picking out the author's main idea/theme, etc...

This is how it is at my school. First graders should know the "why" behind what they are doing.

As for you observation tomorrow, relax. It is your FIRST observation and it is too early in the year to expect perfection (if it is ever expected). They worst thing you could do is run around telling them objectives, hoping they can remember them in one day (and confusing them). I know this from experience! haha

Remember, you got hired for a reason!

4. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Oct 15, 2007

http://www.glc.k12.ga.us/passwd/trc/ttools/attach/bckgrnd/sep/qthigh.pdf

This has some easy and quick examples of how to use higher level thinking questions in your small reading group. (It may not be the best, but it is a quick solution!)

If you are nervous about remembering to tell the students why... and might forget the objectives. You can write the objectives in kid friendly terms on sentence strips and post them on the board/ etc. I had to do this for my Praxis 3 exam last year. I posted the objectives for each day (for a month) on a bulletin board so my kids would get used to it. Then on that day I would remember to tell them what the goal for them to learn was!
    I know school districts that are required to do this daily! I am lucky and have to tally the standard I meet and do not have to write the long standard or display it in the room! It does take time or I would love to have it in writing as well as me verbally telling them!

Also I agree with the last poster... she had a terrific way of stating the objectives!

Relax! You will be fine! ;) I am always still nervous but I LOVE getting the constuctive criticism. There are always things that I don't see or notice and it is nice to get another perspective!

5. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2007

Good Luck tomorrow......

Personally (for what it is worth), I do not belive in the whole idea of kids needing to know what the standards are what your objectives are...There are better ways to show student learning!

You are going to do great!!!!! Best of luck!!!

6. classemom

classemom Rookie

Oct 15, 2007

Thanks so much...I will let you know how it goes!

7. classemom

classemom Rookie

Oct 17, 2007

You guys wont believe this....my principal forgot, I had to reschedule...now its next Tues.
    uugh

8. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Oct 17, 2007

That is terrible! Now the waiting starts all over again. Well, I am sure you will do fine!