1st Observation by Principal :/

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by happythots, Sep 27, 2008.

1. happythots

happythots Rookie

Sep 27, 2008

Tuesday I have my principal will be in my room for my first formal observation. I'm really nervous. I've heard horror stories from the other teachers. And, of course, I can't think of anything good to teach for my 45min. lesson. Sigh. I'm sure it wont be that bad, but it still isn't fun.

my biggest problem is writing appropriate 'learning goals' - My students IEP goals are things like - allow hand over hand, use a school tool for a specific purpose, activate a switch - things like that. So, I always incdorporate IEP goals, but my students are so low its hard to know what to do for 'learning goals'. we do activities, but I don't really know if they understand any of it, or retain it.

any words of advice or encouragement would we more than welcomed.

3. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Sep 27, 2008

Happythots, refresh my memory... what grade level do you teach? Sorry, I forgot. :) And I'm assuming you teach students with severe/profound intellectual disabilities?

Don't worry, you will do fine. Are you sure your principal will be observing for 45 minutes? Wow, mine barely stays for 5! Either way, just continue with your normal schedule and do your best. What are the 'learning goals' you are referring to? Are these like 'Essential Questions' you're supposed to have posted or something? Honestly, most principals don't have a clue how to teach students with significant disabilities, so they'll be impressed with anything the students can do. lol Seriously! Or at least that's been my experience. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

4. krisaustin

krisaustin Companion

Sep 28, 2008

I agree with inhisgrip20. Most principals have no clue on how to teach students with significant disabilities. Stick with your routine. If you try something new, to impress your principal, it may back fire, because the students are not use to that type of lesson. I usually reteach a lesson that I taught before. I have to teach lessons multiple times for my students to understand the concept.

5. happythots

happythots Rookie

Sep 28, 2008

Thanks for the encouraging words -

Heres a little more background info - first off I teach at a very special school - our whole school age program is made up of severe/profound special needs students who are also medically fragile. My principal has been at the school 8 years. So, although she doesn't know everything about this population, she knows a good deal. She also loves to ask - "how do you know the students learned what you were trying to teach them?" - which is frustrating, becuase- unless I BS something - I don't always know if they learned the academic part of the lesson.

I think I know what I'm going to do, but not really. At least I have one more day to Iron out the details.