1st interview of the season...ROCKED it!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by EZLN1, May 3, 2010.

1. EZLN1

EZLN1 Companion

May 3, 2010

I hate to get my hopes high, but man, my preliminary interview went well. It was at a small charter school, a school that I've had contact in the past but nothing ever opened up. I got a call back last week after again making contact with them at a job fair.
    I showed up to the school, and as I took a seat, I could see an interview taking place. Around the table, were a large group of about 6 students along with staff. I tensed up a bit, because it's already nerve racking being with 1-2, let alone with 6 students. I LOVE having students interview though because they show their emotions and I get a pretty good read off of them as I am going thru the process. For the 45 or so minutes, they ran the show, minus 2 questions from the principal, and I felt an obvious connection with the students. Made the group laugh in a few occasions, and the main student rep kept shaking her head in approval as she fired questions left and right. At the end, 2 students eagerly took me around campus and we chatted a bit before heading back to the office. I spoke to the P who thanked me again for coming out to the school, and told me he was glad to make connections with someone of a like minded philosophy (referring to my mentor and his work). They have since set up a demo and will be able to talk to the VP & P in private following the demo.

In many ways, this would be an ideal position. I would be teaching the subject I want, working with students from the same background (and inherent cultural connection) as myself, and working with folks trying to make a change in one of the roughest cities and neighborhoods in the bay area. I've been to many schools before, but never felt at ease as I did during my visit to this school. I try not to get too worked up about interviews, but I feel like I am definitely in the hunt. Now, just working on a demo and after being stuck, got a few ideas that would be culturally relevant and interesting to students.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 3, 2010

Fantastic!!

4. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

May 3, 2010

Sounds awesome! Fingers crossed for you.

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 3, 2010

Sounds great! Good luck!