1st graders flipping letters

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by LakeSophie, Nov 16, 2006.

1. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Nov 16, 2006

I know that students writing their letters in a mirror image is common, yet something you need to watch. Lately I am having a lot of students start to flip letters that have never done it before. The common ones are b/d, p/q and S.

When do I need to start worrying about this? They don't realize they are doing it, until I point it out. If I point it out, they correct it. They don't always flip the letters either. This isn't just one student, it's like 4-5 students who are now doing it on a regular basis, but not ALWAYS. I don't want to ignore this.

3. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Nov 16, 2006

My daughter (a kindergartener) does this! I have been telling myself that this isn't anything to worry about. I'm interested to hear what all of you have to say to LakeSophie.

4. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Nov 17, 2006

A lot of kinders and 1st do this in the beginning. I even have some do it later in 1st. Remember they are still learning how to form these letters and sometimes get a little confused. I tell mine about oct-nov that if they do this on a spelling test then its wrong and I am constantly telling them to check their b/d p/q. I even tell my parents thats the rule. They usually get it-eventually! When a child has dyslexia number and letter reversal isn't the only factor (most who have dyslexia don't even reverse numbers)

5. ad65shorty

ad65shorty Companion

Nov 17, 2006

I noticed this happening even in 2nd grade sometimes. It's a developmental thing for most kids. I believe it corrects itself when they learn cursive. You really can't flip a b or a d when writing cursive!

6. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Nov 17, 2006

Thanks for the comments! I'm a new teacher and I was getting afraid that I was missing something. I always correct them, and the parents do too, but I wanted to be assured that I wasn't missing anything. :thanks:

7. becky

becky Enthusiast

Nov 17, 2006

My first grader flips b's and d's alot. I'm hoping that learning cursive will make her more aware of it when she prints.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 17, 2006

They do it in our class too. We have handwriting sheets that they practice from time to time and we correct it on the spot when we see it. We correct it on the homework (so parents can reinforce it). Otherwise we view it as normal for that age. We do prompt them to LOOK at the alphabet line on the wall and see if they can figure out how to make those letters. It takes time.

9. jazzminjoy

jazzminjoy Comrade

Nov 17, 2006

Huh? Oh! That's what you mean. Ha ha, sorry, this is off topic, but the first thing I thought of when I read the headline of this thread (First graders flipping letters) was Vanna White on Wheel of Fortune. It just didn't make sense.

Ok, back to the discussion.

10. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Nov 17, 2006

yikes...my 3rd graders do this, but only on b's and d's. In my area, it's developmental...they literally come in to PreK knowing nothing.

11. MissaG

MissaG Companion

Nov 18, 2006

I have 6th graders that do this. My students also form their letters from the bottom up. It has worried me since I got to the school and I just don't know how to fix it at such a late age.

12. eslguru

eslguru New Member

Nov 18, 2006

Vision Problems

The nurse at my school said that it could be vision problem if they are still reversing letters and/or numbers by the 3rd grade. She tests lower grades as well, but typically only if a teacher or parent requests it.

13. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Nov 18, 2006

It's difficult to fix even by the time they are in 1st grade.. They fight it. I had one scream at me yesterday that they couldn't do it that way. It's rather frustrating.

14. bawilliams

bawilliams Rookie

Nov 22, 2006

It is totally normal to flip those letters in kindergarten and even on into the first part of first grade. However, you might try giving them some opportunities to practice the letter formation other than on a worksheet. Cut the letters out of sandpaper or felt, glue bumpy objects to the outlines, something to give them texture, and let them run their fingers over it. This way they can FEEL, rather than just SEE, how they are different. After they have done this a few times, you could even try blindfolding a child and have them see if they can recognize the letter by the shape they feel. I hope this makes sense!

15. herins

herins Companion

Nov 22, 2006

If you're wondering why they just started doing it, when they didn't before. I find it's because they are looking at letters to copy less, and writing automatically more. After a while, they start to notice their own mistakes. I make them change it if it's a printing activity, otherwise I ignore it. In spelling tests, I also expect it to be right. I don't start "worrying" about it until around April, and even then, some kids still do it occasionally.

As for children printing from the bottom, up --sooo frustrating! I sent home a letter begging parents to spend 5 minutes a day watching their children print properly. The occupational therapist said that even 5 minutes a day would help break bad habits (but good luck watching 25 kids print all at the same time!)

16. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Nov 22, 2006

That's what I thought too! I had to read the post because I was intrigued! Then I realised she meant reversing letters...ooohhh, I get it!!!

17. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Nov 22, 2006

I've told mine---b see's d--b c d. For some reason that has worked with most. And lots of pratice.

18. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Nov 22, 2006

Sometimes I hand work back and ask them if they can "find the 3 letters that need to be turned around." Usually they can. I don't worry about this in first grade, unless I see mirror writing or they are reversing letters like k and lower case h, etc. I wouldn't worry too much about it until second grade. I agree that mostly it is a developmental issue.