1st Grader Blurting Out

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Super2ndGrade, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Super2ndGrade

Super2ndGrade Rookie

Sep 25, 2010

1st Grader Blurting Out and Not Working

I have a first grader who will never raise her hand. When I ask a qusetion, she just yells the answer, and the other kids never get a chance to answer. I sit her out sometimes when I ask questions, but I'm afraid she won't learn as well when she can't proticipate. I also cant let her always yell out answers. Worksheets won't help, she always yells, "I need help!" and I come over and reluctantly help her with the question. I don't tell her the answer, I just give her a hint. She answers the question correctly, and I leave. What do I hear next? "Teacher! Teacher!". I need advice on thes kid!:help:

3. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Sep 25, 2010

Ignore her. Even if she shouts out the right answer... call on someone who is raising their hand nicely, as if you never even heard her. Saying something like "I'll pick Johnny, because he's sitting nice and quietly with his hand up... Johnny?" can start to get their attention, but it will take a little while for it to click in... consistency is key.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 25, 2010

Yes, ignore her. That's what I do. I will also raise my own hand silently so that the student remembers what he or she should do instead, and that almost always gets the child to raise his or her hand, and only then do I acknowledge the child.

5. texteacher

texteacher Companion

Sep 25, 2010

I ignore the students. Sometimes if they don't get it I might say "I'm going to call on students who are quietly raising their hands." And then they get it. If they are yelling out my name for my to come by and help them, I won't do it. I give out a simple class reminder that they must raise their hands and wait for me to come by if they need help. This usually solves the problem. If you go to her everytime she yells out your name, she'll never learn.

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 25, 2010

Exactly. If you continue to acknowledge her when she calls out, then she won't learn that only by raising her hand she will get your attention.

7. ami6880

ami6880 Companion

Sep 25, 2010

One thing that might help is to put a post it on her desk and cover it with clear tape. Give her a expo and let her tally the times that she knows the answer, but doesn't get called on. This sometimes help satisfy their need for answering a question. I also ignore them and call on another student, praising them for quietly raising their hand.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 25, 2010

You could put her on some kind of system. Give her tokens or cards that she keeps at her desk. In order to answer, she must hold up the token. If you call on her, and she answers, she gives you the token. Each day, see if she has used up her tokens. Give praise daily if she has and a reward at the end of the week if you use them. At least this will give her something to think about which will cause her to delay her response time. Right now, she is in a bad habit and obviously hasn't responded to verbal reminders.

9. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Sep 25, 2010

One thing I do is to do a lot of sharing with their neighbor....then the blurters have the opportunity to share. I will ask them to whisper yell their answer to me so the have the opportunity to share then too..
    I use the part of whole brain teaching Teach, ok, where they have to teach their neighbor the right answer.
    We have a discussion about blurt-itis and how when you do that you take away someones chance to share and they get their feelings hurt and no one wants to hurt feelings...I point out that they do have lots of opportunities to share, so they don't have to worry about not being able to show me what they know....

10. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 25, 2010

I trained my older students (high school) how to answer questions. We still get blurters at this age! One way you can train yours is to use very easy questions to teach her that she will be ignored if she continues to blurt out.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2010

She is seeking your attention. Give her attention for doing the right thing. Praise students who raise their hands and give the same right answer that she did- she'll complain and you just keep saying you will only call on students who do the right thing. She'll eventually 'get it'.

12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 25, 2010

Here's what I do in my classroom to minimize "blurting out":

Students raise their hand when they have a question, comment, or want to answer a question. BUT...they must always put their index finger over their lips with the hand that isn't being raised. By putting their finger over their mouth, they're reminded that they cannot shout out.

I'm sure I must sound picky, but I like for my classroom to run like a well-oiled machine.

13. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Oct 6, 2010

I teach my students simple sign language/hand signals. One of them is my "I'm ignoring you" sign. Basically, just put your hand in front of your face in a "stop" gesture. :) Then, I simply ignore and move on!

14. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 8, 2010

Sounds like we have the answer! Just remember, first grade is a lot different than Kinder and she is really still a Kindergartener, for another month or so. Be patient and consistent.

I find when a student asks for help with a paper, what works best is to ask her questions that will help her answer her own question.