1st grade

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by SKJ222, Jul 14, 2005.

1. SKJ222

SKJ222 Rookie

Jul 14, 2005

Hi!
    I just got hired for a 1st grade position. Most of them are ELL. My question is that my ration isn't 20-1 but 30-1. :(
    Has anyone worked with this ration that has any sort of tips?

Thanks

3. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 14, 2005

THIRTY TO ONE ? our class size cap is 23 when classes get the 24th student they have to open another segment.

4. SKJ222

SKJ222 Rookie

Jul 14, 2005

yeah, thirty to one!! Pretty large group for such little one

5. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Jul 14, 2005

I have no suggestions for you, sorry. We also cap our classes at 23 and then they open another class or we even have a few rooms with team teaching. Those are the only rooms with over 30 students.

I guess I would say to really stress and practice your behavior plan from day one!! Be structured and consitant.

6. veg_guy

veg_guy Rookie

Jul 15, 2005

I'm surprised to hear that you have a class size of 30 1st graders. CA is supposed to have class size limitations at that level.

7. herins

herins Companion

Jul 15, 2005

I'm sorry to have to ask this. What is ELL? I had 25 grade 1 students last year, so I'll try to offer you some ideas. But first, I'd like to know what ELL stands for. I'm assuming it's English as a second language, but I'm not positive.

8. veg_guy

veg_guy Rookie

Jul 15, 2005

It's a CA acronym that stands for English Language Learners. Comparable to English as a 2nd Language.

9. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 15, 2005

I will be teaching a 1/2 ELL classroom this coming fall. My plans are to label things in both English and Spanish (since that's what most of my students are going to be). To be consistent from day one, here are the rules, here are the consequences for breaking these rules, here are the rewards if you DON'T break them. To have open communication with the parents, and to make sure this is the best year these kids have had so far, while covering the standards that I have to for state testing.

10. SKJ222

SKJ222 Rookie

Jul 15, 2005

yeah, i thought CA was no more than 20 for a class. The way the school "makes up" for it is by having a helper who comes to the class for reading and math. Since she is there the school said they can have that larger ratio....

11. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Jul 15, 2005

Hi!

I teach first grade also and am at a ratio of 30/1 for half the day (the other half I am at 20/1). The best thing that worked for me was structure, structure, and more structure. The environment will become chaotic if the kids become confused, do not understand what is happening, etc. It will be important to find a routine that you can stick to so that they kids will know what to expect throughout the day.

For me, I love structure but I also love for my students to make their own decisions and choices. If the routine is too rigid, I begin to go insane. To help balance the class size with the opportunity to be self-sufficient students, I try to choose times when 4-5 students can go off and work independently. I change this group daily and base it on students who I feel can work successfully without causing a disruption. I have some educational manipulatives (I taught Montessori for 2 years and have continued it at home with my youngest daughter)that I really want the children to use. The students who get "work time" (as I call it) are free to go use these manipulatives. I have a few very responsible first graders who give lessons on manipulatives that other students would like to use.

This routine has helped me to keep the entire class on task while still providing opportunities for individual interests and freedom. Hope this helps some.

TiffanyL