1st grade themes

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by ready2teachintx, Jul 6, 2010.

1. ready2teachintx

ready2teachintx Companion

Jul 6, 2010

Does anyone recommend themes for 1st grade? If so, what have you used? Do you do it weekly or monthly or both?

I will be teaching 1st & 2nd combined resource next year. Most students are on 1st grade levels.

I am beginning thoughts, ideas and lessons for planning.

I appreciate any feedback from 1st grade teachers:)
    :thanks:

3. learningstill

learningstill Rookie

Jul 6, 2010

themes

I use a dog/puppy theme throughout the year. I have a friend who uses Suzy's Zoo, one who uses teddy bears and one who uses fish and a tropical theme.
    In September we somewhat use apples as a theme. In October we use pumpkins, November fall leaves and pilgrims, December Gingerbread Man, January penguins and snowmen, February hearts and friendship, March Dr Seuss and St. Patrick's Day, April baby animals and spring, May end of school.
    The monthly themes we follow are based on standards that we teach. Do you have your curriculum yet? Do you know what you have to teach?

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 6, 2010

I teach 1st, and I don't really use a theme. I do use a lot of tigers, though (our school mascot). I change displays and such seasonally or for holidays.

5. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2010

We don't really use themes.
    Sorry!

6. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2010

I don't use themes either.

7. ready2teachintx

Jul 8, 2010

I will teach ELA & Math. My room theme is wild animals. So, I guess I can go with that throughout the year. Thanks for the monthly ideas. I used to teach PRE-K, which was very theme-based.:):thanks:

8. ilovetoread

ilovetoread Rookie

Jul 8, 2010

Overall, my classroom theme is dogs as well ("Paws"itively Excited to Learn!). I guess I do themes throughout the rest of the year, but mainly all I do is just cluster some of my read-alouds and and some of my science activities (if possible) around the "theme" each week. I do a lot of "author study" themes where we read a whole bunch of books by the same author and then end the week with an "author celebration" where we have a snack that corresponds to one of the books and do a few fun activities that correspond as well. I normally change each "theme" weekly. Like I said, I use the word "theme' loosly as I generally don't go all out for it. I rarely redecorate the room around a theme. I'm sure I'm missing several, as I don't have my plan book at home for the summer, but here is as many as I can remember, in the order from beginning of the year to end of the year.

• Kevin Henkes
    • Black Lagoon (GREAT to have guest readers come in so the kids get familiar with the school support staff and UA staff)
    • Leo Leonni
    • Pirates\
    • Apples
    • Scarecrows
    • Pumpkins
    • Thanksgiving
    • Holidays around the world
    • Jan Brett
    • Penguins
    • Snow
    • Leprechaun Traps
    • Pets
    • Cinderella around the world
    • Eric Carle
    • Summer Camp

I know I am missing MANY weeks. Sometimes my read-aloud "themes" may last more than one week. I hope this helps!

9. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2010

I also change themes with the months, but have an overall theme this year of forest animals. Most of the things I got have owls or bears, so will add a few more animals later on. Have fun!

10. teacher112

teacher112 Companion

Jul 9, 2010

I try to have a different theme for each week. I find a poem and some activities to go with each theme. Some of mine are...

*back to school
    *apples
    *friendship
    *fall
    *pumpkin/scarecrow
    *halloween
    *Flat Stanley
    *more fall
    *turkey
    *thanksgiving
    *gingerbread
    *snowman
    *holiday
    *snow in general
    *MLK
    *mitten
    *groundhog
    *president
    *100th day
    *valentine
    *teeth
    *Leprechaun
    *Dr. Seuss
    *pets
    *spring
    *butterfly
    *ladybug
    *bunny
    *monkey
    *end of year

11. ready2teachintx

Jul 9, 2010

thanks all. You all ROCK:thanks::)

12. ready2teachintx

Jul 9, 2010

I think having a weekly theme will help me keep organized and build ideas for lesson planning. Now, I need to order some good books. I have The Adventures of Toad & Frog, 2 Junie B. books, 2 Ready Freddy, several Arthur's books. Anyone have any suggestions? I have heard alot about Jan Brett.