1st grade teacher, 37 weeks pregnant w/ my 1st

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by lotusblossom, Nov 3, 2008.

1. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Nov 3, 2008

For those of you who have taught (especially primary) through a pregnancy, can you give me tips on how to make it through the day?

It has been a grueling year even for someone who isn't expecting, but it's been especially tough for me.

My planning time is booked w/ meetings most days of the week, and my Wednesdays start at 7 and go until 5, and it takes me the rest of the week just to recover.

Everything is achy, I feel grouchy and like I am not doing my best teaching.

What would you suggest?

3. sieraama

sieraama New Member

Nov 3, 2008

I taught 1st grade up until the weekend I delivered my son. Some days I felt the same as you do. I tried to share my experience with my class. I would tell them I am tired and I would sit and they would come to me with things instead of me going to them. When you get home in the evening put your feet up and relax, have your husband help you out. Go for a walk, this helped me. It is such a short time that you are pregnant, enjoy it. Soon the baby will be born and they grow so fast.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2008

I taught (high school) on the day I went into labor with my older daughter. (Then had a meeting, took Brian to the pediatrician, went to CVS for the prescription for his ear infection, made dinner, and went to the chiropractor. THEN I went into labor.)

OK, I'm done whining.

While those meetings are a pain (and are they really necessary?) at least they're with adults. So you can hit the bathroom and be a minute or two late if need be.

Be SURE to stay hydrated. It's important. So drink as much as you can, particularly during those meetings when you don't need to explain why you're drinking.

At 37 weeks, you could go any time. So rest when you can.

You have probably fewer than 3 of those brutal Wednesdays left-- can you cut them short now??

Either way, hang in there. You're close to the finish line!

Best wishes!!

5. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Nov 3, 2008

Kudos to you ladies for working up until delivery day!

I can maybe cut the meetings short - I hate looking like a "slacker' though so I am reluctant to do that.

Thanks for the support, I think that's what I need most right now :)

6. gmer22

gmer22 Rookie

Nov 4, 2008

WOW for all you ladies working up to delivery. I am pregnant with my frist child and also teach 1st grade. I am only 7 weeks along though and I don't know how I will survive the rest of the year. I am so tired, it is such a battle to get out of bed everyday and make it through the day. I stay at school until 5 Monday through Thursday and it is sooooo hard to stay alive. LOL.....

7. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Nov 4, 2008

I worked up until the day before I delivered my second son. I was 39weeks and 6 days. I got out of work at 4:15, and was at the hospital at 6:30. I delivered at 1:11 the next morning. It was kind of neat knowing that less than 12 hours earlier I was teaching 6 and 7 year olds. I do remember feeling so exhausted at times, and coming home practically in tears because I wasn't sure how I'd make it through. However, working up to delivery allowed me to spend the maximum amount of time home with my baby once he was born. I also think that being on my feet all day long, and constantly on the go really helped me have an easy delivery. He was born in literally two pushes. One for his head and another for the rest of his body :) Hang in there and just enjoy these last few weeks of sharing this special bond with your little one.

8. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Nov 4, 2008

Like someone else said, tell your kids your tired and have little patience. They will be more willing to help you and will do what they can to make you feel better. I teach middle school and went through two pregnancies with extreme back pain. I simply told my kids when I didn't feel good and that I would teach them while setting down and if they had questions to come see me. The kids were great and were patient and really strived to be good. Try to remember that you have to think of yourself and your baby now - kids and school come way down the line at this stage of the game. Slow yourself down so you're ready and maybe a little more rested before the baby gets here. If your tried to the point of exhaustion, you need to take care of yourself and that baby - other people will understand. With my first baby, my Principal put me on maternity leave about 3 weeks before my due date because she was tired of worrying about me being tired and overworking. I'm glad she did because I was over-exerting myself.

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 4, 2008

Kids are so, so sweet when they know you need help. I really had to go to the bathroom today (not the same at all, I know) and was charging down the hall with the class to get there before I exploded. One of my kids said 'are you alright, Mrs. U?'. I said grumpily 'NO! I am not! I have to go to the bathroom!' She started to rub my back and say 'it's ok, it's ok'. Hahahha-it almost made me feel better. Almost. But even after I went and felt better, they were still fawning over me. I love my kids.

10. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Nov 5, 2008

That is so cute!

I had a half day sub today b/c I was in meetings, but this morning while in my room prepping with the kids outside in line, I heard one little girl ask the sub if he was their sub. He responded "yes" and she said "Good, Ms. B really needs help, she shouldn't be standing so much," which is what I told the kids a couple days ago.

When I teach standing now, they remind me to sit down! Very sweet.

That said, they are still needy and teaching from a sitting position for the majority of the day isn't really that feasible, so I may call it quits very soon.

I had false labor for 2 hours last night - not fun :(

I know I am overexerting myself, and I know that I don't know how to NOT do that. :(

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2008

At this point, there's pretty much nothing you can do in a typical day that will effect the baby. So do whatever you can to keep yourself comfortable.

It's hard not to overexert yourself. Just take any little breaks you can, dress for comfort, keep hydrated. You know the drill.

Is your bag packed?