1st grade science help

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by meri78, Nov 7, 2005.

1. meri78

meri78 Rookie

Nov 7, 2005

hi everyone-i'm writing b/c i need some help w/my science time. my school does not provide me w/a science curriculum, and so i am basically free to do what i want as long as it is aligned w/the state standards. i am a little lost as to where to begin, though. one of the other 1st grade teachers gave me a 'curriculum map' that she created that basically outlines what (science) topics we need to cover each month. this is definitely beneficial but i am curious as to what kinds of activities other primary teachers are having their students engaged in. please help! thanks so much!! :) -meri

p.s. i just bought a great book that has many science experiments/hands-on activities for young learners. i'm going to begin it tommorrow so hopefully that will help!!

3. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Nov 8, 2005

We study weather, temperature, living, non living, sink float, seasons, plants and things like that :)

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 9, 2005

We did water cycle, measurement & organisms. We are lucky though...we have a kit that come with eveything in it experiments, observation books for the kids and adult book!!!

5. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 9, 2005

These are our categories based on Frameworks:
    Life Cycles:Animals
    Physical Systems:Scientific Inquiry, Matter, Sound and Light, Force, Simple Machines, Magnets, Electricity,
    Earth/Space Systems: Properties of Earth, Weather/Seasons, Water (attributes and cycle), Solar System, Conservation
    Life Science Systems: Plants
    If we have extra time, we do extra stuff.

6. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Nov 9, 2005

The main thing my first graders did last year was raise butterflies to study their life cycle. It was fun!

7. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Nov 14, 2005

Put a huge thermometer outside your window and read the temperature each morning as part of your opening.