1st Grade Phonics Activities

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by glitzern02, Sep 16, 2005.

1. glitzern02

glitzern02 Companion

Sep 16, 2005

I am tutoring a 1st grader in reading through one of my classes at school. We have been doing various testing to find out where they are at and then we are supposed to plan activities for them accordingly. Well, his listening comprehension and silent reading comprehension are through the roof, but he has trouble reading orally to me. Is there anything in particular I should do to help him with that?

Also, I did a phonics test on him and he seems to not understand the silent 'e' rule and the other various vowel rules (besides short sounds). FOr example, he cannot recognize words like cube, tide, etc. He also has trouble with vowel sounds like ai, oa, aw, etc. What kinds of activities are there to work on those skills?

Lastly, I noticed that he needs to really work on many of the basic sight words. What are some activities for those?

I know this is alot, but any help would be appreciated. I'm kind of overwhelmed by all this! Thanks so much! :)

3. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Sep 17, 2005

Read, read, read..... Books on tape, you read a page he reads a page, read books that interest him. Whisper phone. Let him read a book and record it, play it back and listen to his recording. Books with rhyming words. (free books to print at www.hubbardscupboard.org --At the Farm...sight words what and that AND Pam and Sam sight words this, is, and, like) and more. Check at your local public library to borrow books.

4. meri78

meri78 Rookie

Sep 23, 2005

hi-i am a first grade teacher in ohio. in our school, we do not teach all of the things that you mentioned in regards to long vowels (silent e, ai, oa, etc.) until later in the year. is he expected to know this at this point?? if so, i think it would help to teach him fun rules to remember these things. teach him that the silent e jumps over the consonant and make the vowel say it's long sound, etc. i'm sure first/second grade teachers in your building could give you other fun sayings that help w/memorizing these rules. as for the sight words, i would try and make it as fun as possible. for example, say the word (have him repeat it), cheer the letters (give me an e, etc.), have him say the word again, have him use it in a sentence (out loud), and then cut up the letters and have him put it back together. w/the littles ones it seems like the funner you can make it the better. sight words are hard b/c they can't sound them out...so they kind of have to be memorized!! :( i hope this helps some...good luck to you!

-meri

5. steve

steve New Member

Oct 27, 2005

Check this out... www.whisperphones.com They're a headset that's hands-free!