1st grade Para

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by maebowler, Oct 5, 2006.

1. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Oct 5, 2006

Transition Idea Needed

Hi. I am a para in a 1st grade classroom (morning only, then I go to 4th grade). I am assigned to work with three students, all boys, that are LD, ASD, and EBD.

The EBD student that I work with has a hard time transitioning from recess back to the classroom. Today was the best day so far, but he knew he had candy waiting for him and I don't want to give candy to him everyday. Usually when we come in he doesn't want to go to the bathroom and gets antsy waiting in the classroom to start the next thing, but usually doesn't want to day the next activity. During this time we also do a para switch. I leave and the afternoon para comes. Any suggestions?

The ASD student I work with is a very sweet boy, but is very much ASD. The afternoon para always calls him weird and says he is unlovable. I know the student has some weird things that he does, but I believe it is just the ASD coming out. I try to remind her of that when she calls him weird, but she has been a para for a long time and I'm just 23. I have my teaching license and am waiting for a job. I also have a minor in special ed and am trying to use that to help, but don't want to act stuck up. What should I do?

Thanks.

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 5, 2006

It depends on if she is being rude TO him, talking to YOU, or just being affectionate (weird but loveable is strangely affectionate). Paras have a right to have opinions about their students. It's not using that to make the student feel bad that is unprofessional.

I might confide to my friend that my middle child is soooo freaking slow and it drives me crazy but he is my most affectionate kid. To him, he knows he is the slowpoke but I wouldn't say it in a bad way TO my son nor would I constantly make him feel bad about it.

4. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Oct 8, 2006

Any transition ideas?

5. thelonius

thelonius Rookie

Oct 8, 2006

I use elements of TEACCH (Treatment and Education of Autistic and related Communication-handicapped CHildren) for students in the ASD spectrum. Each child has his/her own schedule -- accordingly to his/her levels -- creating the structure and ease of transitioning from one activity to the next. Every now and then, I would supplement it with elements of ABA.

Here's the link for more info:
    http://www.teacch.com

Good luck.