1st grade math

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Dalrose, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Dalrose

Dalrose Rookie

Oct 16, 2005

First year first grade teacher here. For addition and subtraction, are they supposed to have it memorized. They use their fingers or scratch marks to fuguire out the answer but it occured to me that maybe they are supposed to just know it when thy see it. Which is it? If so how would i teach it? Thanks!

3. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Oct 16, 2005

When I taught first grade, I taught the concepts of addition and subtraction. I taught them to use a number line, counters, and anything that uses tactile objects. I did not expect them to memorize them until the end of 1st grade. I would play Around the World and have them learn their facts to 12.

4. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Oct 16, 2005

I agree with jenglish97. Concepts are what is important in first grade. We now have new state standards that require 1st graders to know their addition facts to 10 + 10. I think this is crazy!!!! They are to young and are only beginning to understand and fully comprehend the concept. However, since it is on our report cards I have to teach memorization.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 16, 2005

Encourage flashcards, math games at home to reinforce the math facts. Don't worry if you have some counting on fingers, using manipulatives or number lines though- I've seen kids up to the third grade do the same on some math facts. First grade is EARLY (especially this early in the year) to have many of the facts memorized. Work on developing a good sense of number, strategies for problem solving, strategies to remember math facts (other than memorization). :)

6. Dalrose

Dalrose Rookie

Oct 16, 2005

Thanks for all the advice. I was just worried but I guess I'm doing ok.

7. ohteach

ohteach Companion

Oct 18, 2005

I am a first year 1st grade teacher. When I took my undergrad classes I was always taught to make sure they know how to do the problem first. It was stressed to us to make sure they undertsand how they got to the answer they did before they started even trying to memorize the problems.

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 19, 2005

Like the others we used counters, fingers, crayons, number lines. The memorization will come the more you do the adding & subtracting.

Rosie..do yours need to know the shapes...cone, pentagon, hexagon?

9. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Oct 19, 2005

Yes they need to know hexagon, triangle, square, rectangle, trapezoid, rhombus and circle. We just finished that unit.

I truly am not in favor of the memorization part however that is our state standards. Who came up with that I'll never know. Surely they weren't first grade teachers. What good is memorization if they don't understand the concept????

10. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Oct 19, 2005

Math is whole new animal this year. We adopted Everyday Math. I am still not sure how much of it I like.

However, always in the past I did't even start addition and subtraction till the second quarter. We worked on patterns, charts, graphs, number theory during the first quarter. Then I did it like everyone else has said with counters, number line and fingers. Touch Point is something I started a couple of years ago. I like that alot. I learned it when I was kid and never knew what it was called. I still use it today!

I also play Around The World too, after January.

11. becky

becky Enthusiast

Oct 19, 2005

On average, how much time do you spend on practice?
    My daughter uses a Houghton-Mifflin math book. There isn't enough practice work, in my opinion. We finished the addition unit last Friday, but I'm keeping her in practice until the end of the month. After that we'll go to subtraction.

12. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Oct 20, 2005

We recently adopted a new math series. I really like it. Everyday it has daily practice problems that involve previous concepts learned. It is a spiral effect which has worked out really good. We do not have practice, skill & drill as it sometimes is called, worksheets. We used many hands-on manipulatives to help the children understand the concept. The series moves along rather quickly but the Daily practice problems keep the children refreshed on previous concepts. Concepts are revisited constantly with the Daily practice problems.

13. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Oct 20, 2005

I agree with you here, Rosie. Our standards in California are probably really close to yours. My first graders are expected to know addition facts up to 10+10, but nowhere in the standard does it say anything about UNDERSTANDING why 10+10=20. We are teaching our kids a bunch of rules and facts but not giving them any chance to explore the concepts.

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 21, 2005

RosieO, I made flashcards & we did those as part of the calendar routine. It has to do with the MEAP!!!
    Our school wanted the kids to count backwards from 100 (I think), but the other 1st grade teacher & I worked from 50. Some could do more & some a lot less!!

I don't remember our math series. But for morning work we would review a concept and when we did our reading time & had them revisit math by doing the worksheets. This seemed to really help. We also sent home homework 2 times a week. I would send home something usually math related on Tuesdays & Thursdays was spelling related since we had a spelling test on Friday. They really liked that!!!

15. mommy36

mommy36 New Member

Nov 8, 2005

I agree that The children are to young. My first grader is age 6 and already with 41 days of school in the teacher is telling me that she is very worried about her. She can add/subtract/write and read Dr. Suess books at home yet she claims is having trouble in school with these things.

At what age should a child know how to change out money,use a number line and count backwords perfectly, and lastly know how to read and do story problems?

16. kermy

kermy Companion

Nov 9, 2005

I'm a student teacher and so i'm just learning. But from what i'm getting every child is different and learns at different rates, but there are certain guide lines for these types of things. a child should learn money around 2 to 3rd, #lines 2nd and counting backwards perfectly,depends on where you start. 3rd is where they start to really focus on the concept of counting backwards. reading is really an on going thing but idont know when students so word problems. I would think 2nd for really simple ones like Sally has 5 candies and Joe gives her 2 how many does she have now? Hope that helps.