1st grade math journals

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jlj, Aug 5, 2012.

1. jlj

jlj Devotee

Aug 5, 2012

what do you do? Do they work in them every day? Are there sites that give daily activities?

3. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Aug 5, 2012

I used Math Journals last year in Kindergarten...My kids loved them. It was literally one of their favorite times of the day. I bought them from Elementary Teacher Resources. I would give the kids a strip and they would glue them at the top of their page in the journal. At the beginning of the year it would say something like "I see a book on top of a table and a shoe to the right." They got harder as the year went on. At the end of the year they were something like "I have three bananas, 2 apples, and 1 pineapple. I have ____ altogether." They would draw a picture of it and then write and solve the problem underneath. I graded them right after the finished and they loved the instant feedback. The site I linked to above has first grade Math Journal prompts also for just $7. It gives you 180 prompts...one for each day of school!

This is a pic I took of one of my kids math journals back in October.
    [​IMG]

4. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Aug 5, 2012

I did math journals about 3x a week. We wrote math vocabulary in them using the frayer model, as well as answering problem solving questions as a whole group. The students also used their math journals to write down math problems when they did math centers.

5. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2012

I have found that at all grade levels students benefit from a choice of, "today I learned" or "I have questions about..."

6. yvonnemommy

yvonnemommy Rookie

Aug 7, 2012

DD's teacher send us to this site beestar for math. There are two worksheets per week, full of all real life word problems, challenging stuff to help kids thinking. DD does these worksheets on weekend for reviewing. It's helpful.
    Lisa

7. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2018

I like to do a lot of “the answer is x” (often the date but not always)
    And then they write problems to go with the answer

So maybe the lower kids might only write an equation, middle kids write a story problem, and the higher kids write as much as they can come up with...

Obadiah likes this.
  8. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jan 11, 2018

I use the math journal in the beginning of they year to glue in "tools" which is resources they will use all year long like a 120 chart, number words, place value chart, base ten blocks etc. This also teaches them my expectations on how to use glue.
    Next, they use their math journals as a math station. Once a week they are assigned an review journal page that typically has them doing a review page. I use Reagan Tunstall's journal page on TpT. They also have to do one word problem a week. When they do the word problem they partition the paper into four sections and they have to tell me: a number sentence, draw a picture, answer the question asked in the word problem, then finally tell me what strategy they used to solve. I hope that helps!

9. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Jan 16, 2018

Wow! I've used journaling in writing and spelling, but this is the first I've heard about math journaling. What a tremendously beneficial activity! I found all the usage suggestions above enlightening, especially the application activities (something I find lacking in math texts). Prior to reading this post, I've been thinking about how more daily student oriented math activities could be integrated into a classroom. My third graders have kept track of sports scores, even figuring out the averages when they reached that skill level and charted the temperature and compared it to another locale, measured things in the building, and a few other whole class activities. If math is to become a personalized process, students need to become accustomed to utilizing it concerning situations that occur in their daily lives. The posts above sparked my imagination. I can see where a free writing time in the journal could also be profitable, where each student individually records a situation that happened recently and apply math to it. Some whole class activities to model this would be needed at first, but I'm pondering that as a useful elementary activity. A hypothetical example of what I'm thinking; after lunch, a student had counted how many raviolis were on her plate and figures out how many raviolis were served to all the students during lunch. Situations like that, that the student individually decides to calculate, chart, or contemplate in their journal.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 16, 2018

We used math journals daily after we did morning math. I used the Calendar Math program and devoted a huge bulletin board to maintaining all the different parts to it. Every day the kids were to simply write what they learned from that day's mini-lesson. Almost all of them included what was posted on the BB (equivalent fraction/decimal/percent, the day's pattern figure, etc.) and I encouraged them to include as much as they could.

11. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Jan 22, 2018

When I taught only 3rd grade Integrated Setting, I used Everyday Mathematics. I used Math Journals for student notes, quick assessments, math messages, and reflections.

Math Journals are actually a good idea.
    I do not use math journals anymore, due to my instructional plans and scheduling constraints.