1st grade Homework

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by WonderW05, Jul 21, 2007.

1. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

How much homework do you normally send home with your students each week? Do you use the 15 min. rule: A child should be able to complete his/her homework in 15 mins each night?
    what are your views on homeowork? What do you normally send home with them?

3. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 21, 2007

Hi there!

I send home about 15-20 minutes of homework nightly. That does not include the nightly reading log, which is a part of their nightly assignments.

My homework is usually a worksheet that reinforces the day's taught skills. Could be a math worksheet or a phonics worksheet. I usually have them tear out the worksheet from their workbooks (which is a challenge at the start of the school year!! :eek: :eek: ) and the children put it in their take home folder. :love:

4. mbfenner

mbfenner Rookie

Jul 21, 2007

I send home about 10-15 minutes of written work on a daily basis. The kids are also required to read and write down in their reading log what they read and for how long.

5. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2007

Monday is Spelling
    Tuesday Math
    Wednesday Reading

Thursday and Friday are no homework days.

We also encourage students to read every night. (hoping that every child reads before bedtime)

6. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

How long do you normally have them read nightly?

7. MissTexas

MissTexas Rookie

Jul 21, 2007

Sounds like a good schedule! I think I just may try that!

8. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

mbfenner,

thanks for the website link. I quickly scanned through it and it has some great things that I am sure to use.

9. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

yes, Starista I was thinking about the workbook thing (having them tear it out). We usually torn it out for our kindergarteners so wasn't sure if I should still do that, or have them, since I didn't want them to rip it to pieces. But I guess it is good for their fine motor skills.

10. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 21, 2007

I send home a homework packet on Monday that is due Friday.

Monday: spelling/word wall words- write 3x each
    Tuesday: math
    Wednesday: making words or HM practice book page
    Thursday: reading summary
    Friday: no homework

The students are also to read for at least 20 minutes per night. The above work should take them about 15 minutes to do for a grand total of about 35-40 minutes per night.

11. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

Mable

So having the students read is not a required assignment? I mean do they get points or stickers, for what they have read? Do you have parents sign a reading log? On Monday what type of spelling activities do you have them do? I am familiar with 2nd and 3rd grade spelling contracts, but I am unsure how to go about give out spelling words and what type of activities to support learning those words for the week as homework. Do you have them write them 3x's each, write in differnt color crayons for words with the oa? What else do you do have them do to practice learning the words for the week? Thanks for your ideas!:)

12. Iteachtwo

Iteachtwo Companion

Jul 21, 2007

This year I'm trying something new. I'm going to send home a homework packet on Monday that will consist of a fluency log, spelling tic-tac-toe, and a couple of math sheets reinforcing whatever we're doing in math. I hope it works out ok.

13. BuLadybug

BuLadybug Rookie

Jul 21, 2007

homework

Generally I do not follow a "schedule" for homework but most times I will send home a math worksheet to reinforce skills taught, when we start spelling Thursday night is spelling homework, each night I send home either Guided Reading books, our basal story, or Reading Mastery story for students to practice. The homework does not usually take more than 20 minutes

I also send a notice to parents to indicate to me if their child is struggling with the homework, etc.

14. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 21, 2007

It is required for my students to read every night. It is on their homework chart. I also have take home reading books and the kids read with their parents each night. They log what they have read (a book at their independent level) and tell their parents about it. The parent decides whether they should get a new book or keep practicing with the one they have, based on criteria I sent home at the beginning of the year.

15. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 24, 2007

Last year I gave out homework nightly. They had a reading log to fill out and write one sentence responding to a question about the book. Every day I'd give them a worksheet reviewing what we were learning at school.
    Monday - spelling
    Tuesday - math
    Wednesday - grammar
    Thursday - math or writing
    I discovered the spelling, grammar, and writing worksheets were difficult and stressful for my low kids, and super easy for my high kids. This was pretty much pointless because I only had like two or three kids on grade level! The rest were above or below.

This year I am going to try
    -A different reading log: title, author, minutes read, check just right, too hard, too easy, color the face how they liked the book. Laster in the year I will probably start the sentence response.
    -Spelling tic-tac-toe: I'm not sure if we are changing our spelling program. The new program focuses on skills and not words, so I'm going to have students practice the spelling skill with this
    -Math worksheet: One worksheet to start, maybe two later in the year.

16. momtomm

momtomm Rookie

Jul 28, 2007

I gave out different homework then the other two first grade teachers that I work with. (My daughter who went to another school for first grade had this homework-we hated the sentences-but it helps the writing !)

Monday thru Thursday was spelling-we don't start spelling until January, but I gave the students 5 word wall words that we were going to work on that week. Monday- three times each, Tuesday-abc order-Wednesday-Write each word in a sentence, Thursday-pretest.
    The students also got a math worksheet every night.

17. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2007

I rarely give out homework besides nightly reading. We keep track of the reading on an At-Home Reading calendar. Occasionally I will give a math homework but it is never a worksheet. It is a page from our series but it usually involves some kind of hands-on lesson. Even in the classroom I try to stay away from worksheets as much as possible. I have always believed in the 10 minute rule...10 minutes of homework per grade level - 1st -10 min., 2-20 min, etc. I do encourage them to practice their spelling also but I do not keep track of it. I feel I work them to death during the day so I don't want to push it at night. The reading and spelling works great for me and my students.

18. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Jul 28, 2007

Our school is supposed to follow the 10-minutes per night per grade. We're also on a strict copy-budget, so I think this year I will be doing some sort of homework calendar/homework BINGO where I will send home one sheet of paper and homework can be completed in a notebook or on looseleaf paper at home. I will also send home a reading log. I made a cute one for classroom use last year and I think with just a tiny bit of modification I'll be able to send it home.

I love giving homework on Monday, due on Friday. The parents love it too, since they can plan their weeks accordingly--they don't have to worry about me sending home a bunch of work on the night that they have dance practice, soccer and cub scouts.

19. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Jul 29, 2007

I send home math, writing, and reading Monday through Friday.

I expect that the worksheets will take them 10-15 minutes to complete. The reading is on top of that.

I don't give homework on Friday because I have found that first graders misplace their HW 99% of the time over the weekend :). Plus, it gives me time to catch up.

20. gmer22

gmer22 Rookie

Jul 29, 2007

How important is homework for a 1st grader??? If i would give hw monday tues and thursday only would that be bad?

21. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2007

No, not at all. I feel homework is important but only if it is meaningful. I don't give a lot of homework because they are still really young and work their tails off at school.

22. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Jul 29, 2007

I agree with Emma. I'm starting to rethink my HW practices. I might try out the Tuesday through Thrusday HW plan. They really do work their tails off during the day :).

23. mmis

mmis Companion

Jul 29, 2007

I give reading homework on Mon, Tues, and Thurs nights- 10 minutes tops.
    I usually send home a math sheet once a week.

As a mom, I don't like the spelling homework that comes home with my own kids so I don't send it home with my students. Our time at home is precious and copying spelling words is not as important as reading, writing, or working on word problems.
    I encourage my parents to work on spelling orally- in the car, at home, in the grocery, etc. I try to work on spelling at school.

24. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 29, 2007

It is really great to hear a parent's perspective. Thanks. :)

25. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2007

mmis isn't it funny that as mom's we tend to run our classroom like we would want our kids taught. I have found myself doing the same thing not only with homework but with other things I do in my classroom.

26. mmis

mmis Companion

Jul 30, 2007

Emma35- You are exactly right! I have changed many things in my classroom based on my personal experiences with my kids.

Projects that are to be done at home? Not anymore.... I found that rarely can a child do the work alone (or it will take hours to complete). I do projects in class walking through the steps with my students.
    Homework is the same. I've spent hours helping one of my children do work that the teacher thought would only take 45 minutes.
    But what happens when a child doesn't understand the concept? What takes 1 student 45 minutes might take another student 2 hours. What takes 1 student 15 minutes might take another student 45 minutes. I've seen it cause great frustration- in both child and parent.

27. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2007

Oh At-Home projects should be a whole new thread. I used to have at home projects and it was so sad to see what came back. So many were done almost completely by the parents. I felt bad for the kids that come in looking like they did all the work themselves and then it sits next to the one that is picture perfect because mom or dad did it. Of course I love the ones that are completely done by the kids themselves way better than the mom & dad ones. So now I only have 1 At-Home project and in the rubric I send home it clearly states that it needs to be done by the child. Well, you know what still happens...mammy and daddy still insist on making it look perfect!

28. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 30, 2007

I give homework every night but it doesn't take them long. I tell the parents that if the child is frustrated, don't let them sit on it too long. Write me a note to let me know and we will work on it at school. However, homework is always something that we are working on in class. I also have them read for 20 minutes per night and they can all do that. I send them with a book to read at home. To me, homework is a way to teach responsibility. Having them realize that they have something to do each night and return it is a big responsibility. The parents appreiciate it and so do the teachers in the later years.

29. cmgeorge626

cmgeorge626 Companion

Jul 30, 2007

I send homework Mon-Thurs.
    Everyday: Spelling/Sight Words, 10 min. reading, math worksheet
    Tue: leveled reader from reading curr.
    Thurs: practice reader from reading curr.

30. tiaramp

tiaramp Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

31. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Aug 4, 2007

I am in a low income school community. We have a district wide reading log, and I would like to send homework home. However, many parents do not like the extra work. How do you get them to be more involved because many of the students just don't bring back their homework.

32. KW_P4edu

KW_P4edu Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

As a long term Mom and a new teacher I have the opinion that homework can be very helpful but,....lot's of students get home and have no one to even say "do you have any homework" much less help them with it. Every night homework ( other than reading for fun) is just too much. Kids and parents have lives at home other than making us teachers look like we have accomplished everything necessary at school.

33. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 10, 2007

Hi - I notice that you mentioned Reading Mastery - this will be my first year teaching Reading Mastery - I will have 2nd & 3rd graders and be teaching RM3 - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tiara

Jumping in on this kind of late but I teach Reading Mastery at my school. Many people hate it but I love it. My adivice is to stick to the script and you will see progress from you students. I taught levels 1 and 2 last year to my first graders. This year I'm teaching level 5 (and cannot be happier!!!). Also, outline your procedures to your students clearly for behavior and checking work. Once this has been established, be consistent! I cannot stress that enough. Consistency is the key to success in Reading Mastery. Also, try and think of cute things to do with the kids to keep their attention. I used to have the kids do a little dance and say "moving on" whenever we went on to another page of our lesson. Seemed corny at the time (someone from our main office came in and gave me the idea-actually worked!) but the kids loved it. 2nd and 3rd graders are not too old to do this or something similar. Lastly, keep up your pace! Pacing is key in Reading Mastery!!! The pacing will allow the students to follow the lesson without getting bored. Good luck!

34. TeachGrade1

TeachGrade1 Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

Monday- I send home a story from out reading book.
    The kids also have Spelling and Vocabulary words to study. Wednesday is a pretest and Friday is the final test.

I send home weekend homework that is a short reading/ writing assignment and it should be completed with a parent. The assignments build on one another throughout the year. They come from a scholastic book and it tells the parents what to do and how many new words are being introduced. It's a great book.

35. dizzybri14

dizzybri14 Companion

Aug 12, 2007

Do you have a copy of this that I could use? I am trying to find one I like, but have been unsuccessful.