1st Grade Discipline Help!

Discussion in 'Behavior Management Archives' started by Starista, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Mar 28, 2006

Good Morning! :)

I have a group of very chatty, very LOUD 28 first graders! Thus far in the school year I have used the "stop light" ~ where the switch their name tag from green to yellow (warning) and from yellow to red (loss of recess for 5 minutes). Everyday I send home a calendar and if they get a stamp on it it means they stayed on green all day, etc.

I am wondering if that is not strict enough? Or if it is too strict? My children are VERY well behaved when I am teaching a lesson, reading a story, or at small group centers. But the moment we do a "seat work" activity, they all start talking even though I say countless times "this is a quiet activity" etc etc.

I have treasure chest days, stickers for positive behavior, etc... But there is a group of 6-7 boys who just WONT stop talking, behave in the halls, sit quietly at lunch, etc etc.

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated!

3. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Apr 1, 2006

Starista,

There is a site called http://www.callowayhouse.com which features the YACKER TRACKER and it makes a loud noise when the noise level is too high and the red light comes on. When the noise level in the room is where you want, it will stay green. I highly recommend this item. It's less than $60 and very effective for loud students. It will get their attention and they will be in CONTROL of their OWN behavior as well. I would also suggest a site called http://www.redandgreenchoices.com as well.

Troy in Los Angeles, CA
    AspieTeacher

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 1, 2006

Troy, this site looks great! I think I will use it next year in my class (and this year with one specific student). Have you read any of the books. Would you recommend any of the books? I teach a K-3 Mild ASD class.

5. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Apr 1, 2006

Proud,

I would recommend any of the books on that site. I was truly impressed myself with this site. It allows the student to be in control of his/her own behavior and no more excuses either. If he/she chooses to misbehave there are red consequences for those choices and it's pointed out directly to them.