1st Grade Classroom Management

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Teachingin08, Jun 24, 2008.

1. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Aug 2, 2008

Question: Here are the rules of our school

Do what's right
    Do your best
    Treat others as you want to be treated.

Should I use these as my classroom rules too?

While subbing, I would always tell the children they were welcome to do anything in class as long as it wasn't a problem for me, them, or anyone else. Then I would demo a few a problems. It worked great. When they acted up, I'd just remind them who it was a problem for.

2. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

If you like let me know and I can give you an answer that prevents most parents from being offended by #5. You can find that on my website under the listing for the Five Rules. If you P is still nervous about it, just follow their lead for now anyway.

Check out my website if you are interested in Power Teaching. The BIG SIX link gives you step by step instructions on becoming a Power Teacher. It also provides one stop link shopping.

If you want a copy of the posters for the five rules I can get those for you as well. If you have the link from Chris, they suggest printing the rules on photo paper to get vivid copies that last the whole year.

3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 3, 2008

Thanks, PT. I already have the posters, lol. Unfortunately, my principal is being pretty firm on this, so I have to abide by her wishes. That being said, here are some of the PT procedures that I will be using:
    • Class....Yes!
    • Teach..Okay!
    • Switch!
    • Hands and Eyes!

As the new kid on the block, I have to strictly follow the school policies regarding discipline & management, but have been granted permission to add the methods above to the list of approved methods. In addition to Class...Yes!, I will have to teach my babies that when an adult raises his/her hand and says "My Turn," everyone is to be quiet & raise their hands in the air as well. Oh, well, I figure that the longer I am there, the fewer the tethers will be that bind me, lol!

4. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Aug 3, 2008

Can someone give the link to the best or main power teacher site and where I can see what these things mean?

Thanks!!

Lemon

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 3, 2008

lemonhead: just use the link that PowerTeacher put in his post above - that'll get you to his site, and he has all of the links posted there!

6. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

Thanks pwhatley!

Anyone should feel free to email Chris Biffle as well. He is personable and very friendly. I will tell you that he calls me his Answer Man, and will send you to me for questions and help with the basics.

The listed site will walk you through the basics step by step. Just click on the Big Six.

7. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

The first three rules should serve you well. One if the great things about PT is the flexibility it allows. You know I am here if you have any questions.

Jeff

8. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Aug 4, 2008

Sorry I missed your early post with the link. Okay I just checked out the Class-Yes and the rules.

This is very intriguing. How do you think this approach can mesh with love and logic? Sorry if you covered it in your website, I need to get going and will read the rest later. I love the gestures described.

9. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

I think it will work fine. I am not as familiar with the specifics of the L&L approach as I would like to be.

From what I understand it should be easy to integrate them.

10. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Aug 4, 2008

Do you use fake coins and where do the kids store them? How much time does it take you at the end of the day to give our the nickels? How do yo manage this part of the coins, etc. When do you have time for it?