1st Grade Classroom Management

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Teachingin08, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Teachingin08

Teachingin08 Rookie

Jun 24, 2008

I will begin my 1st year of teaching this fall in a 1st grade classroom. I have many ideas for classroom management and discipline procedures in the upper grades, but they all seem too complex for 1st graders. So far, I have not found what I want to use in my classroom. I would love to hear what all the other 1st grade teachers have tried and what worked the best for them. Thank you!

3. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2008

The biggest thing for classroom management is have them practice and repeat guidelines for all classroom expectations all year long.

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jun 24, 2008

I totally agree with this. It's all about modeling and practicing what you want things to look like, and sound like. After I model, the kids practice, practice practice and sometimes i have one (that I think might be the one to blow it) show the wrong way to do something and then fix it. It is funny to them and it makes a BIG impact!!! :D

5. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

Jun 24, 2008

I use clips that move up or down. Everyone starts on green (Good Job!) everyday and based on their decisions they can move up to great job (blue) WoW! (purple) or down to Beware (yellow)or even Uh-OH!!! (red). I then have a yellow or red note that goes home if they make the wrong decisions. Every week I have behavior awards that go home (our class mascot gives it to anyone who made 1 mistake or fewer during the week) as well as special WOW awards for anyone who had a god week and made it to WOW on a given day. I have a book about the mascot (was tommy turtle in 1st grade we are switching to benny beaver) not knowing the class rules and then learning them that we read in the beginningof the year and whenever they need a refresher (especially if the there is a sub I leave it for them to read.)

6. Teachingin08

Teachingin08 Rookie

Jun 25, 2008

Here is what I came up with after reading everyone's suggestions:
    Rules and Expectations:

Be on task
    Be responsible
    Be kind
    Listen for and follow directions
    Do your best…ALWAYS!

I want to make sure that the students understand exactly what I expect of them, so we will go over these rules, why they are important, and what each one looks like. Students will act out role plays so that they know what being responsible or being on task actually looks like. They will also see what it doesn’t look like, and how to fix that. We will practice, practice, and practice some more!
    To monitor behavior and motivate students to do well, I will use a clip system. Each student will have a clip with his or her name on it and will begin the day with the clip on “Ready to Learn.” The clips can be moved up or down throughout the day depending on behavior. The first negative behavior will result in moving the clip down to “Warning.” The next level below “Warning” is “Uh-Oh.” The lowest level is called “Think About It.” At this level, a student is required to fill out a paper with the teacher reflecting on his or her behavior. The paper is taken home to be signed by the parent and returned the next day. Students can also move their clips up for positive behavior. The level above “Ready to Learn” is “Superstar.” Above “Superstar” is “Wow!” After the “Wow!” level, I will actually remove his or her clip and wear it around school for the remainder of the day for everyone to see. At the end of each day, students will write the level that they finish the day on in their planners. Students that end the day on “Wow!” will receive a sticker for their sticker chart. When their sticker chart is full, they take a trip to the treasure box.

Wow!
    Superstar
    Ready to Learn
    Warning
    Uh-Oh
    Think About It

7. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jun 25, 2008

In my class I have a consequence for each time they move their clip down---first time they may just get a warning or lose their job....2nd time loss of job...a little time out from recess-----3rd time- sit out from special activity and call parent.

8. Teachingin08

Teachingin08 Rookie

Jun 25, 2008

I know my principal does not like the teachers to take away recess, so I am trying to stay away from that consequence. I was considering having 10-15 minutes of reinforcement/free choice (puzzles, file folder games, etc.) time and taking away choice during that time as a consequence.

9. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jun 26, 2008

Depending on what you decide to use you may need to modify it after school actually starts. You want to do the easiest thing for you that doesn't take up a lot of time. Some things sound good in my head or on paper but then when I try to implement it it totally flops. One of the most important things (other than modeling) is being consistent with whatever you choose. I do the colored card system with green (which they begin on), yellow, red, and purple. They earn a nickel at the end of the day for a green card. If they have 25 cents on Friday they can "buy" something from the treasure box. After a warning, they pull a card. Yellow is 5 minutes off game time, red is 10 minutes, and purple is entire game time (15 minutes) with a note home. For severe behavior they may go immediately to purple and be sent to the principal and phone call or note home. I don't allow them to move back to green for good behavior. They have opportunities to earn more money by helping out their team throughout the day. I give tally marks to teams for making good choices and at the end of the day give everyone in that team pennies that equal the amount of tallly marks. On Thursdays I allow the kids to exchange their coins for nickels, dimes, and eventually, quarters.

10. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Jun 27, 2008

Going along with classroom management I teach a classroom procedure for EVERYTHING!

Everything from getting a pencil, asking for help, coming in late to washing their hands, working with a buddy, getting a book from our class library.

It takes a week or two to introduce everything but it makes my class run much more smoothly throughout the year and curbs the discipline problems!

11. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jun 30, 2008

Classroom Management

My system is very similar to Teachingin08. I had a sports theme this past school year. I have a clip chart around baseball clip:

Homerun -piece of candy
    Triple Play
    Double Play
    Dugout- Ready to Learn (everyone started here)
    Strike One - Warning Time out 2 minutes
    Strike Two - Time out 5 Minutes
    Strike Out - Time out 15 minutes, note or phone call home
    Benched - Loose all recess, and privilege

At the end of the day I sent home a behavior chart where, I indicated where they ended at the end of the day. Students could move up and down all day! If they made it past homerun, I would wear their clip and they could go to the treasure chest. :)

12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 30, 2008

When I taught first grade, I had a problem with students shouting out answers. Thus, on the first day of school, I demonstate how to raise a quiet hand. Students raise their right hand and cover their mouths with their left hand index finger (kind of like when you're saying "Shhhhh...." to someone, but while raising your other hand). By having them cover their mouth with their finger, they remember not to shout out their answer.

Whatever you decide to do, introduce it on the first day of school. And remember: model, practice, model again, practice again, etc. First graders need lots and lots of repetition.

13. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2008

I love that idea of having the kids cover thier mouths with their finger until I call them. I think that will work great with my new 2nd graders because I'm sure they will come in shouting out answers, I had the same problem this past year until I modeled, reminded & modeled some more! I like that, thanks.:)

14. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Jul 1, 2008

I looooove this idea, too!!!! I had a huge problem with this last year. This is a great idea and I can't wait to try it out!!!!

15. ginasparkles

ginasparkles Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

Yes, this is an awesome idea. I will definitely use it in my classroom.

16. dizzybri14

dizzybri14 Companion

Jul 14, 2008

I use the Bead System found on mspowell.com just go to the behavior management. This system worked REALLY well and was super easy.. You will have to have the rules set for messing with the pipecleaners or whatever you use to hold the beads in the VERY beginning.

17. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jul 14, 2008

Did you ever have problems with the kids wanting a certain color of bead, trading or stealing beads? Iw anted to do this system but the aide in my room thought it was a horrible idea and persuaded me not to use it.

18. dizzybri14

dizzybri14 Companion

Jul 14, 2008

traveler
    From the start I never allowed them the option of color. You could also just use one color of bead. I thought it may be difficult, but it was super easy and i LOVED it!!

19. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jul 14, 2008

Ok. Thanks for responding. I'm having a hard time narrowing down which idea to use now. :)

20. Teach in Tampa

Teach in Tampa Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

This will be my second year of teaching. I was in a first grade classroom last year and used a very similar classroom management strategy. I like that you allow the students to move up from "Ready to Learn." Last year all students started on green in my classroom and either stayed on green for the day or moved down to yellow then red for infractions. I like that you are giving them additional incentive to behave by moving up the spectrum. I marked a green star or a yellow or red check in their folder each day. Do you plan on having them write the words (i.e. Wow, Superstar, etc.) or will you have a color associated with each level?

I like this idea. Thanks for the post.

21. dizzybri14

dizzybri14 Companion

Jul 14, 2008

Everyone at my school was always asking about the beads and pipecleaners. I think that it was just "something new" and I thought that it couldn't hurt to try it, especially since I went through about 4 behavior systems the year before. I think its a matter of finding a system that you are going to be able to keep up with and keep parents informed.

22. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Jul 15, 2008

This sounds really awesome! I read all about it on the website. Do you think that this kind of system would work okay for kindergarteners, too? Also, did you have another behavior management system in place at the same time? This past year I used the color-coded card system. Do you think I could do both of these systems together?

23. Teachingin08

Teachingin08 Rookie

Jul 17, 2008

My original plan was to have them copy the word into their planners, but I was informed that 1st graders do not have planners at our school. Now I am debating whether to make planners, or just send home a slip of paper with each student telling their level for the day. (Having a pre-cut and pre-printed stack for each level)

24. TeacherJ4life

TeacherJ4life Companion

Jul 18, 2008

Does anyone have pictures of how their classroom management sign/poster looked like? I am so curious because I want to create one and I am so not creative:help:.

25. ladycajun1105

ladycajun1105 Rookie

Jul 18, 2008

I will be using the classroom management techinique implemented by Chris Biffle called Power Teaching. The rules are simple
    Overall: Respect Everyone
    1. Follow directions quickly
    2. Raise your hand for permission to speak
    3. Raise your hand for permission to leave your seat
    4. Make Smart Choices
    5. Keep the Dear Teacher Happy

I look forward to teaching my first year in first grade.

26. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Jul 21, 2008

Oh! I am soo happy to hear you mention power teaching. I have been looking into this method most of the summer. I am excited to get started. I think it could be a very powerful teaching tool. I am also using this management system and rules. I printed out and laminated the classroom signs for the class rules.

27. dizzybri14

dizzybri14 Companion

Jul 21, 2008

I think it would be ok with Kinders as long as you model A LOT and also go over the rules "No touching" lol They will want to play with them etc. This was the only system I had in place, but I did a whole class positive system where they earned ice cream cones for each day the class was amazing. I don't know that I would use the cards with the beads it may be too much. I guess you could try it out and if it gets to be too much drop one.

28. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Jul 21, 2008

Thank you very much, dizzybri! I think I will definitely give the beads a try. I just need to figure out what I want to do for rewards and how...

29. dizzybri14

dizzybri14 Companion

Jul 21, 2008

I did weekly. I set a goal for the week say 10 and those that had it by the end of Friday got to pick something out of my treasure box. It worked well b/c I could take/give out throughout the week.

30. lilygirl

lilygirl Rookie

Jul 21, 2008

BOOK

I agree, Model, Model, Model and review, review, review. There is a book called "kevin knows the rules" that is perfect for introducing and modeling rules like "walk quietly in the hall" and "hands and feet to yourself" .. I just got it on amazon. It it does it in a fun, cute way that will keep the kids attention. :up:
    Have fun!

31. Teach in Tampa

Teach in Tampa Rookie

Jul 21, 2008

That looks like a really cute book. Thanks for letting us know about it. It sounds like a perfect book for the first week of school!!!

32. ladycajun1105

ladycajun1105 Rookie

Jul 26, 2008

I am going to be enlarging the rules say about 11X17 or so and get them laminated so that way they all can see the signs. I was thinking about posting it under the chalkboard. Do you think this is a good place to put them?:2up:

33. teacher143

teacher143 Rookie

Jul 28, 2008

Last year I used the color coded behavior chart. It worked well with my students but one with issues, would melt down with every move down. It took two chaotic months until I saw a glimpse of improvement. My best advise: If you like something stick with it. If you change managements systems too often, the students that really need the structure will go without it or won't take it seriously.
    I am planning on having the rules on the side of my whiteboard to show their importance and so they are visible from every part of the class.
    Best of Luck!

34. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 28, 2008

I was all set to use the same system, but my new P thinks that #5 might offend some parents, and she prefers (at least new) teachers to stick to a specific set of rules. :(

35. ladycajun1105

ladycajun1105 Rookie

Jul 28, 2008

Well my principal is so excited about it. She thinks it is cute. She wants me to show the other teachers about it in our school meeting. I hope that goes well with them. Power Teaching is not for everybody and is not accepted well by all.

36. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 28, 2008

So far, my procedures manual is 20 pages long. I've posted the conduct portion on my blog: http://pwhatley.wordpress.com/

I'd love to read what y'all think! Obviously, I stole some (most) ideas from teachers more experienced and creative than I am!

37. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 28, 2008

You are right, of course. I will be teaching in a very low-socioeconomic culture school. My babies will come to school every single day, rain or shine, sick or well, because they need the two meals the school provides. It is also a Title 1 school. While I still have very little idea as to WHAT Title 1 designation does for a school, I am learning that there are many things it will NOT let you do.

38. cajunteacher1

cajunteacher1 Rookie

Jul 30, 2008

Title 1

The purpose of this title is to ensure that all children have a fair, equal, and significant opportunity to obtain a high-quality education and reach, at a minimum, proficiency on challenging State academic achievement standards and state academic assessments.

39. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Jul 30, 2008

We use something like this in our school. You can only move down. though. I absolutely LOVE the idea of moving up!!!!!! This is a school wide system. I want to find a way to incorporate this to really recognize those great days of some kids. Thanks for sharing your terrific idea!!!!:2up:

40. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Jul 30, 2008

My favorite thing I learned from a kindergarten teacher aka the teachers that I love more than anyone else! :)

"You get what you get"-Me
    "and you don't throw a fit"-kids

If any child starts to whine about a color etc. I just start the phrase and the kids finish it.

I also use a money system as a reward. We have a store where the students spend their money. We practice counting it and tie it in with math standards and even an economics standard.

41. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Aug 2, 2008

I love You get what you get and you don't get upset... it works! LOL
    I also have a line up chant that i love that seems to quiet them down and remind them what they need to do in the hall:
    I'm giving myself a great big hug
    im standing straight and tall
    im looking right ahead of me
    im ready for the hall

I also have used the "stop light" system of behavior management. I wrote "on the road to good behavior" above the light. Children start on green and will move their car to yellow when they need to slow down and think about their behavior or red if this behavior continues. When I worked in private school it was enough for students to move to yellow or red because mom/dad would see it when they were picked up from school. Now that I'm in public and parents do not pick up their children from the room i think I'll have to have a consequence or note home..not too sure yet....