1st Grade Classroom Management

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Teachingin08, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Teachingin08

Teachingin08 Rookie

Jun 24, 2008

I will begin my 1st year of teaching this fall in a 1st grade classroom. I have many ideas for classroom management and discipline procedures in the upper grades, but they all seem too complex for 1st graders. So far, I have not found what I want to use in my classroom. I would love to hear what all the other 1st grade teachers have tried and what worked the best for them. Thank you!

3. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jun 24, 2008

Get the Love and Logic videos if you possibly can!
    Some school districts have them on hand and will let you come in and watch them. Or get the book. (Videos are far better.)

First graders need a few simple rules to guide their behavior. Use kind words, hands and feet to yourself, ask before you take, etc. You will need to train them in your expectations from day one - no nicey nice. Be very welcoming but seriously, avoid being too familiar with them or too exuberant for the first few weeks. I have found I am automatically drawn to certain kids because they seem so sweet and well behaved, but these are the ones who ALWAYS turn out to be behavior problems. I have learned that first impressions are not reliable. Reserve you judgment on all the children until you have seen them in action for a month - both well behaved kids and known "problem" kids: often problem kids will behave differently in a new setting with a new teacher! Yeah!

4. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jun 24, 2008

I need to amend what I posted. The sweet, well behaved kids ARE sweet and well behaved, but I think they later take advantage of my good impression of them and try to get away with behavior that is not acceptable. Then I have to rein them back in, and it is tough because I don't want to hurt their feelings when they have been so good up to that point. I think they sometimes manipulate me!

5. wildcat82

wildcat82 Rookie

Jun 24, 2008

I was also looking for some great management ideas for 2nd grade and I went to the section for just second grade teachers that is located a little below the general education section of discussing. I went through all the 13 different pages of topics, some even dating back to last year, but I got some really great ideas. Give that whirl and I bet you will find some great ideas just for 1st grade! Good luck!