1st grade Book recommendations

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Teacher379, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Teacher379

Teacher379 Companion

Apr 4, 2006

I was informed that I would be teaching 1st grade next year....I was wondering if there are any favorite 1st grade books out there that I should add to my personal student library. Also which books do you use for guided reading besides the leveld readers that come with the series.

Thanks in advance.

-Crystal

3. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Apr 4, 2006

As far as guided reading goes we have a library closet just for leveled readers. We have some that go with our scholastic reading series but we also have some from wright, sunshine etc...

Good Luck

4. Sarah Leigh Ann

Sarah Leigh Ann Companion

Apr 4, 2006

My first graders love Froggy, Franklin, Clifford, Junie B., Curious George, anything by Eric Carle, Dr. Seuss, Gail Gibbons, Shel Silverstein, Kevin Henkes, Skippy Jon Jones, Frank Asch (sp?), and so many more!
    We use rigby readers for Guided Reading

5. missjoy

missjoy Rookie

Apr 4, 2006

Last year I was in a first grade classroom and they loved the lesson I taught using The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle. The lesson even can be transformed into a learning center! If you would like a copy of the lesson and/or learning center just let me know :)

6. AuburnTeach

AuburnTeach Companion

Apr 4, 2006

We use leveled books from a variety of publishers...Wright Group, Rigby, Seedling, Pioneer Valley, and Scholastic all come to mind.

For read-aloud, my kids love King Bidgood's in the Bathtub, Alexander and the Terrible...Day, tall tales, Junie B. Jones, and fairy tales. I also read them nursery rhymes...it's amazing how many kids don't know the familiar ones.

I get a subscription to National Geographic Explorer and National Geographic for Kids. They look at/read the magazines in partners and get so excited to find out more about the topics. They're also great magazines to inspire writing.

Good luck, and have fun.

7. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Apr 4, 2006

Chrysanthemum, Wodney Wat, Little Pea, Olivia . . . Visit a bookstore and look over the picture books. Caldecott award winners are always great.

8. Starista

Starista Cohort

Apr 5, 2006

I am just starting learning centers and would LOVE a copy!! :)

Any of the Caldecott books are a great choice... My 1st graders also love Junie B., Eric Carle, Jan Brett, and really almost anything that is read aloud to them. :love:

9. Teacher379

Teacher379 Companion

Apr 5, 2006

I would think that the students would love anything that is read alout to them...as long as you use fun "voices" and expressions......it's one thing I would have to practice.

Seriously said I'm really excited about 1st grade next year. I finally get the grade I always wanted to teach.

Thanks to all for your recommendations....I'm make a list, so keep them coming.

-Crystal

10. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2006

Missjoy, I am anticipating being a first year teacher next year and I would love to get a copy of the lesson and learning center. Thanks for your help!!