1st ever spring break!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Rabbitt, Mar 16, 2011.

?

How often does your district have a spring break?

1. Every year

91.4%
  2. Some years we do and others we do not

5.7%
  3. Never

2.9%
  1. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Mar 16, 2011

We are having our first ever spring break!
    The community is split by those who LOVE it and those we HATE it.
    Tradtionally we run a tight calendar of Labor Day to Memorial Day.

Curious...
    How often does your district have a spring break?
    I voted never as this was the first in my 19 years with the district and our next calendar is without.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 16, 2011

As a Catholic school, we're always off Holy Thursday, Good Friday, and the week following Easter-- whenever that may be.

My kids always get a spring break, and it always includes Holy Thursday and Good Friday, but the rest of it varies. This week, theirs is mostly the week before ours.

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 16, 2011

In my old district, we always had a spring break, but the timing varied.

Where I live now, my kids get no spring break.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 16, 2011

We always have one scheduled into the calendar, but we don't usually get all of it. We use it for snow make-up days. This year we're using three days of it. Last year we used all of it.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 16, 2011

We always get a spring break. It is usually the last partial week of March/first partial week of April. But some years it is earlier or later...depending on the calendar.

Where I grew up, spring break always coincided with Easter. It was either the week before or the week after (usually the week before and the Monday after, though).

7. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2011

We always get one, and it's traditionally been attached to Easter, either the week before or the week after. There have been discussions about making it a specific week each year, which would be okay with me. This year it's in late April, and the stretch between our last day off in February for President's Day and then is a long one!

8. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Mar 16, 2011

We have one every year that begins Good Friday & the entire week after Easter. It has been this way since I was in school in the same district. Spring Break is usually just in time to recharge me and get me geared up for the end of the year. I would DIE without one!!!

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 16, 2011

We have a week in February and a spring break week EVERY year. No complaints. From anyone.;)

10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 16, 2011

I can't imagine not getting one. There would be riots here if they tried to take it off the calendar.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 16, 2011

We get one every year in mid-March. We are also off Good Friday and Easter Monday, whenever they fall.

12. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Mar 16, 2011

We have a week off during President's Week and then a week off in April. I would prefer to have two weeks off in March.

13. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

Mar 17, 2011

Spring break every year. We also have a fall break-- usually the first week of October. We start school early though-Aug 1st! (Teachers report July 26th).

14. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 17, 2011

We have spring break each year and traditionally it has been after we finish state testing which would have been the end of March/beginning of April. However, this year they moved testing to the middle of April so our break falls the last week of April. It's a LONG haul from Jan 3 until break 4 months later. The theory is (obviously invented by non-teacher types) is that if we give the kids any time off to rest before the test, they will miss "valuable" practice time. So, let's burn them out for 4 months and then see how they do on the test!
    If there is anything positive about this schedule, it's that we only have 3 weeks of school left when we come back!!

15. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 17, 2011

I like how our state does testing. We split it up into two parts. The kids take the essay part and the constructed response parts next week. Then in mid-April, they take the rest. This keeps the kids from burning out during testing weeks, and this year we get spring break in the middle. (We get out at the end of May, so it would not be useful to have a spring break starting April 18th when our seniors get out May 12th. I do like that everything's split up here, though.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 17, 2011

Every school/district I ever attended as a student & worked at had spring break EVERY YEAR. I never heard of sometimes yes, sometimes no. I do know that some districts have 1 week off, then a few have 2 weeks like Christmas.

My district I'm currently at always has 1 wk off. One yr, they had 3 wks off rather than the usual 2 for Christmas...that was nice! No break can ever be too long for me!

17. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 17, 2011

I didn't even realize spring break was an optional activity! :lol:

We only get 1 day, and it's usually sometime around the first part of March.

18. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Mar 17, 2011

Parents here complain about finding child care.
    They also think that teachers already get all summer, a week at X-mas.

19. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Mar 17, 2011

I am on Spring Break right now....and looooving it. We have spring break and a fall break. I really think more breaks/days off during the year is better and a little bit shorter summer.
    I could not imagine not having spring break. That would be crazy.

20. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Mar 17, 2011

Like Alice, I'm at a Catholic school, so we get Spring Break around Easter every year. Usually it's the week after, but this year, it's the week before.

21. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 18, 2011

Oh. Parents here typically let the kids stay at grandparents, friends, or home with older siblings. There are also a ton of camps that run at little or no cost. Many families use spring break to go on vacation. Schools sponsor trips during spring break, and churches do missions trips. These are annual events, so parents can use those for childcare as well.

22. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Mar 18, 2011

Growing up I had a week at Christmas, a week in February and a week in April. I miss that! Now I get 2 weeks at Christmas and one in April. I am pro more time off and shorter summers. We are the process of voting to move to an 'academic enhancement' calendar (9 weeks on, 2 weeks off) and I HOPE it passes!!

23. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Mar 18, 2011

Our spring break always used to be tied to Easter, but since the dates varied wildly, and messed up the state tests, they set spring break for the last week in March every year. It is nice to know and be able to plan for that week. Although last year, Easter happened to fall during our break. I live in an area that gets LOADS of spring breakers and we seem to be out alittle earlier than most.