1st day with my 3s - HELP!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by mom2girl0309, Aug 24, 2011.

1. mom2girl0309

mom2girl0309 Rookie

Aug 24, 2011

Today was the first day I had my kids in the classroom. They are 3, it's most of their first experience with a school setting. They are completely unable/unwilling to listen to the rules, pay attention when I'm trying to explain that we can't go outside and play until we hear the rules. I know they have short attention spans but we have to lay out the routines and rules from minute 1 or it will be complete chaos all year. One of my assistants even said to me today "Good luck with that, they are 3", then when I tried to talk to them (my assistants) after school that we would be practicing routines and procedures til we are blue in the face she told me "You need to be more firm with them." My issues with this assistant are seperate from this post so I won't get into that much. My main question is ... how can you lay out the routines and procedures and get them to do them? Everything I tried - from stickers for those who were doing what I asked to ignoring the negative behavior didn't seem to phase them. :dizzy:

3. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 24, 2011

You do need to be firm but also keep your routine the same every day so they know what to expect. Model the behaviors you want them to be doing. Some of them probably don't have a clue how to walk in a line or have quiet feet. Also, you and tour assistants need to be on the same page when it comes to reinforcing behaviors or they'll run right over you guys. Good luck!

4. mom2girl0309

mom2girl0309 Rookie

Aug 24, 2011

That's what I tried to tell my assistants, they need routine. I even showed her my lesson plans where it says "model how to stand in line", "model how to hold a book" , etc. It's the first day, hopefully it'll get better.

5. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Aug 25, 2011

Make it fun but be firm! You have to be like a broken record! Say the same way at the same time.
    Rules, routines, and rituals a SOOO important. Your assistants have to buy into this.

I would take the time to implement this over a 4 week period over and over and over again! Repetition and CONSISTENCY is what is needed.

6. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2011

yes, that's good; also can you print out a picture of what you're wanting...if you want them to raise their hands before speaking...can you get a picture of kids raising up their hands? Maybe tape the picture onto popsicle sticks. THen, hold up as needed so that the kids can see what they are to model.