1st day planning???

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by pwhatley, Jul 17, 2012.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 17, 2012

Do you have a planning period (enrichment/specials) on the first (student) day of school? I ask because on the first day, classroom teachers (at my school) are required to correctly accumulate student transportation information for all students as well as create or at least fill in some form of label/tag for each student showing how they get home (and if there is a bus transfer, etc.). This would be no big deal, but we are supposed to do this while dealing with parents, students, first-day supplies, crying fits (some students have these), and all the other joys of the first day of school, yet we HAVE NO PLANNING PERIOD in which to do any of the paperwork. We are also expected to sit with our students during lunch, which means that WE GET NO BREAK AT ALL, and neither do our students.

Personally, I think we all (students and teachers) need a break from each other and from the classroom (it is too hot to have recess), but our enrichment teachers are generally helping with enrollment (although they are usually finished by 9 a.m.).

Please don't think I am totally negative. I know that there are things with which the enrichment teachers are expected to help. However, I just don't think it is good for the students OR the teachers to be "stuck" in the classroom (aside from a 20 minute lunch and a 10 minute school tour) all day.

What is the situation at your school? If you have any ideas, how would you suggest I approach our (brand new) principal to address this situation?

As some of you know, I am a diabetic, and have problems eating (anything) in the cafeteria due to the noise and lack of time.

3. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2012

I will be the music teacher next year (first year doing it), and my classes won't start until after about a week of school. My last school didn't start until later than that. However, I think I might have to go help out with the Kindergarten classes on the first week. I also have to do yard duty every day, so that the general ed teachers don't have to do it the first week.

If parents drop off most of the kids, I would have them fill it out when they come in. Or have it be an activity for part of your first day. You could even give the kids something fun to work on while you go around and fill out the transportation information.

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 17, 2012

We have to eat with them for the first few days, but we do have a planning period. We have a meet the teacher where parents tell us how they get home and I create a list and kids labels/nametagsfrom that for the first day. A few will change and there are always additions, but not as bad as doing the whole class!

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 17, 2012

Unfortunately, I won't see many of my parents the first day (some not at all throughout the year). The kiddos (even first graders!) show up on the bus and we have to hope they get home the same way (and that they remember the bus number on which they ride!).

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2012

We don't have a planning period the first day, but we do start getting them on day 2.

Maybe try asking your principal if special teachers could be assigned to a grade level to help out with this task.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2012

Yes, our specials start day 1! It's REALLY interesting if you have that first period prep though! It's like, hi kids, I'm your new teacher, so glad to see you..now line up for art!:lol:
    I work in an 'independent' reading time those first few days just to get thru the paperwork!:dizzy:

8. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Jul 17, 2012

Will you have access to any of the information ahead of time? Could you email/call parents before school starts?

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 17, 2012

In the past, we have gotten tentative rolls the day before school starts (in this case, on Friday). Unfortunately, the phone numbers in the system are from last year, and most will not be current.

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2012

We also start our specials on day 1! :D

11. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 17, 2012

We start specials on the first day. They come in at 8, and leave for specials at 8:15!!! It is rather tough to get attendance and lunch count done that first day before they have to be out the door.

12. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2012

We've never had planning on day 1, but someone usually stops by to relieve us so we can go to the restroom. There were many days I've gone without having a planning. :( It makes the day really tough.

PWhatley, they will have to accomodate your diabetes under the ADA.

13. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 17, 2012

WaterfallLady - I know, but I always feel like such a heel/troublemaker whenever I bring that up.

14. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2012

Don't feel bad...it's your health, silly!

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2012

Since I am starting at a new school, I have no idea if we have to do that or not. The first day is crazy enough with all the supplies they come in with. Hopefully they start their specials on the first day, but I really don't know.

16. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 17, 2012

I hope so! I'm at a new school so I'm not sure. In my previous school, classroom teachers didn't get a planning for the whole first week! It was something my P felt really strongly about and wouldn't listen to a word about it from anyone else. She said "research shows" that the first week is the most important as far as building your classroom community and establishing routines and kids shouldn't be off in other classrooms (specials, interventions, etc.) It was just bad news all around. For one, specials and interventions ARE part of a student's routine, and something that they should be learning if they're learning routine! Two, it created a lot of tension between classroom teachers and non-classroom teachers, because those of us that weren't classroom teachers had full days of planning that week since we literally weren't allowed to see students. Of course the classroom teachers were jealous, and the rest of us felt like the P was saying our classes weren't as important, and we started the year behind since we missed all of those days of instruction!

17. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2012

We do not get prep until the second week. Could you do a graph where the children write their name on a chart of the type of transportation the children take? Doesn't the office already have this information?

18. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 18, 2012

Again, much of the information the office has is from last year, and therefore not current (sometimes cell phone numbers change 3-4 times in a school year, and we have kids who move a lot, too). Also, not all of my students are literate yet, being entering first graders. I have kids that can write full paragraphs, and others who don't know their alphabets. :dizzy:

19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2012

We follow our regular timetable (specials, preps, etc) after the first period on the first day.

20. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 18, 2012

I would ask for the most up to date info on the students. They have to at least have addresses on those riding the bus in order to pick them up the first day. Maybe you could mail a note to those parents at least asking them to send the needed info. ??
    Do you have open house before school begins?
    I like the idea of having parents and/or students fill in a graph of some sort.

21. janney

janney Cohort

Jul 18, 2012

I do have a planning period the first day. Getting everyone home the right way is also the most stressful part of the day for me. I always try to call parents several times before open house to get dismissal information. Many of the phone numbers don't work and many times I get parents who say that they have moved and their child won't be attending (I turn this information into the office). I at least get a few answers though. During the sign in for open house I have a sign in sheet that also asks how your child will be getting home. I get a few more answers then. For these students I make their dismissal tags before the first day so I don't have as many to make.

When the buses arrive on the first day the people on bus duty put address label stickers on each student when they get off the bus. The label has the route number on it.

22. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 18, 2012

I feel so negative - truly, I am not! A lot of this is just the situation I'm in....
    We are getting a new P this year, and she won't start till the week before school starts (just found out who it is, and still don't know anything about her, lol).
    In the past, I have not had access to student info (other than name & sex) prior to the first day of school, and not been allowed to send out a pre-first day letter, even at my own expense. I have no idea what will be allowed this year.

Unfortunately, we do not have an open house before school. Last year, our P held an "orientation," at which all teachers were required to attend. Exactly 6 parents and 3 children showed up.

I am just praying that this year things will be more organized.

23. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 19, 2012

We don't get planning until second week of school. It makes for very long days since we don't have a lunchroom at our small school either and kids eat right in the classroom. No break at all for the first three days of school.