1st day of school book

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by 2Teach_is_2Care, Aug 15, 2009.

1. 2Teach_is_2Care

2Teach_is_2Care Rookie

Aug 15, 2009

Hi everyone. Does anyone have a good book for the first day of school? I don't want anything long, but something that I can read to help talk about treating others with respect and to be nice to others. Or it could be a book on dealing the first day (or week) of school. Any suggestions? Thanks!

3. BB0211

BB0211 Companion

Aug 15, 2009

Mr. Peabodys Apples by Madonna

4. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Aug 15, 2009

I start with First Day Jitters by Julie Danneberg. It's about a girl who is very nervous about her first day at a new school. But the end, it turns out she's...well, I'll let you find out! It has a great twist at the end.;)

One Smile is a nice book for showing how a small act of kindness can spread farther than intended.

5. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2009

I put a hold on that book at the library last week (to get it from another library in our system), but it didn't get here in time. I'll have to go to a back-up for tomorrow...:(

6. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 16, 2009

Fine Fine School - Great starter book

7. Luv2Teach3rd

Luv2Teach3rd Rookie

Aug 16, 2009

I used to read "First Day Jitters", but it's the first story in our reading series now. So now I usually read "Swimmy" or "Hooway for Wodney Wat".

8. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

Aug 17, 2009

I always read Ms. Nelson is Missing on the first day of school. I tell the kids that I can be the nice teacher, like Ms. Nelson, or the mean teacher, like Ms. Viola Swamp - it's up to them. If they want me to stay nice all year, all they need to do is treat me with respect. It's a picture book, but it's a great way to start off the year.

By the way, the first chapter books that I read to my class are Horrible Harry Moves Up to Third Grade and Muggie Maggie. Both of these books fit well with what we are learning at the beginning of the year, rocks & minerals and handwriting.