1st day in 5th

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teacherlissa, Jul 16, 2011.

1. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Jul 16, 2011

I am switching to fifth grade after teaching 2nd and 3rd for 9 years. I have no idea what I should do with fifth graders the first day (minus the procedure stuff that has to be taken care of...). I am planning on doing a scavenger hunt through the student handbook but need some fun activities that fifth graders would enjoy. I always used to read "1st Day Jitters" to my students and do a get to know you activity but I feel I need something older for these fifth graders (plus I have already had about 10 of them when they were in 3rd grade so I don't want to repeat what I always do). Suggestions, please?

3. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Jul 16, 2011

4. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Jul 16, 2011

Here is a good one. You could even do it later in the year with content area question like math problems. Cool Introductions
    Have students write three things about themselves. They should not put their names on their papers. Then have each student crush his or her paper into a ball. Now you're ready for a getting-to-know-you "snowball fight." Tell students they cannot begin until you say "go" and that they must stop when you say "freeze." Remind students not to throw "snowballs" at anyone's face. When you say "go," give students 30 seconds to a minute to toss their "snowballs." When you say "freeze," every student should pick up one snowball. Each student should open up the snowball and find the student it belongs to. Students should chat with their partners about the information on the sheets. Then students will be responsible for introducing the students whose snowballs they "caught" to the rest of the class.
    Carly Sween, Randy Smith Middle School, Fairbanks, Alaska
    Penelope Cook, Chrisman (Illinois) Grade School

5. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 16, 2011

There's so much to do in those first few days. I try to mix me talking about procedures with assessments and craft projects that need to be completed for future or ongoing activities.

I love the snowball idea, and I was thinking about using it as a recap activity at the end of lessons.

As for 'get to know you' activities? My kids know each other; they've grown up together. I have a scavenger hunt for them to complete. They have to find things like "someone who went to camp this summer" or "a person who got a new pet over the summer." To make it more challenging, and to encourage the boys to talk to the girls, they are only allowed to use each classmates name once on their sheet. They also have to ask politely (we practice what that sounds like) and they can't write in other kids' names.

6. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Jul 16, 2011

OK LYNN. Can you PM me your activity and teacherlissa can you pm me info about your get to know you activity and anything you used with First Day Jitters? Sorry to hijack the post. I can keep looking if you are looking for more.