1st Day Ideas

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by k80hardy, Jul 8, 2014.

1. k80hardy

k80hardy Rookie

Jul 8, 2014

So I have been researching/taking notes regarding what to do on the 1st day of school. I have this book called "Manners Mashup", and one section is specifically devoted to teaching classroom manners and another for playground manners. My idea is to go over these 2 sections along with practicing walking in line, what to do in the morning, showing them around the room, etc., however I still feel like there's more I should be doing.

Any suggestions? Would playing Simon Says be a good idea to illustrate the importance of following/listening to directions?

3. MrsJay

MrsJay Rookie

Jul 8, 2014

I need ideas too! Are you full day or half day? I am full day. I'm waiting to meet with my team and see what they are doing. Definitely procedures, procedures and procedures as simple and age appropriate as possible. I plan on introducing new procedures daily and not all at once.

4. k80hardy

k80hardy Rookie

Jul 8, 2014

:) It is kind-of complicated how my school works. I was working at their branch in Fort Myers, FL but they closed down here and I'll be transferring to their branch just outside of Chicago. I am one of the K homeroom teachers, but I will be teaching specific subjects (Language Arts, Phonics/Reading). When I am done teaching my homeroom my class will go to the other K teacher's room where they will learn math and I will teach the same lesson all over again to the other K class (someone else will come in to teach science and social studies).

So long story short, my kiddos will be a full day K class.

I do plan to go over procedures/routines; that is a given. I think the thing I'm having the most difficulty with is coming up with a "behavior system".

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 8, 2014

You also might want to think about doing some sort of community classroom activity-laying that foundation for working together. The cup towers or I like the one where they have to try to put the toothpaste back into the tube with toothpicks to show that once you say something mean it's out there and you can't take it back.

I might check with my partner teacher and get together on a behavior plan, I think especially with the little ones transitioning from one class to another-consistency between the 2 would be easier on the kiddos.

6. k80hardy

k80hardy Rookie

Jul 8, 2014

Thank Q for the tips! That's a good idea suggesting I wait to speak with my teaching partner. I left her a message and I'll wait until she gets back with me.

In the meantime I'm still taking suggestions and I'll continue to research and prepare myself for the upcoming school year.

7. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2014

I like to have them draw a self portrait the first day of school and then one again near the end of school to compare. I like to make sure they have something to bring home that they did or made every day. Procedures and touring the school, learning about each other takes up most of the day however! It will go by fast! :)

8. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Aug 5, 2014

I like to build in lots of opportunity to practice transitions. For example, pull the group to the carpet read a story and sing a song with movement. Model how to walk to the table and look at books. Have a few friends model. Send the group to the table for a bit then call them back to the carpet for anther great story and movement (practice these transitions many times if needed before starting the next thing), send to the tables to do a self portrait, practice lining up and walking around the room, take a tour of the school if they weren't there for pre-k, back to the carpet for a flannel board story, send to the tables to explore math manipulatives. etc. Practice what to do when you hear the attention signal often as well and praise those who are doing what you expect.