1st Day Ideas- 5th Grade

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by sweidl, Aug 7, 2007.

1. sweidl

sweidl Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

I just wanted to check with other 5th grade teachers to see what "ice breaker" activity they were going to do on the first days of school. I only plan on doing one each day for the first 2 days....any ideas that are easy and not too time consuming?

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 7, 2007

Give them a quiz about you. Joke that it really counts.

4. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Aug 7, 2007

a training i went to suggested one of those games where everyone stands in a circle and says their name followed by something they like/what they will contribute to the class/etc. the next person must repeat the person(s) before them, then say their name and answer for the prompt. good if you have students that don't know each other...

my students are typically mostly returning from the previous year, so i'm doing a Guess Who? game where they have to write personal info on a notecard.. name, birthday, favorite food, movie, color, subject, etc. then i shuffle up all the cards and draw one. i give clues about the mystery person and other students guess... whoever gets the mystery person right draws the next card and gives clues. even if the kiddos all know each other, they'll usually pick the most obscure clue on the card and try to trick the class. i do several cards the first couple days and 1-3/day after that as a little treat during down time. they love it.

5. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2007

School starts tomorrow! All of the fifth grade classrooms are putting individual slips of paper with a procedure in a balloon and blowing them up. They'll pop one any way they want, read the procedure, then model it without saying a word, like charades). The rest of the class has three guesses to figure it out. Then we'll discuss them. We put some in that are funny, and I can't wait to see the modeling of them ("Avoid throwing up in my class. Go to the restroom as quickly as you can." and "Wear deodorant.")

6. kelbel7583

kelbel7583 Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

We have a class snowball fight!
    1. When students enter the classroom tell them to write down 3 interesting facts about themselves. ( Make sure that they don't write their name on the sheet.)
    2. Have them crumble the facts into a paper ball.
    3. Form a class circle.
    4. Explain rules for the fight. ( No running, yelling, aiming for the head, teacher ...) Be sure to explain the signal for stopping.
    5. Hold snowball fight.
    6. Once it has stopped students pick up the nearest snowball and read the facts. The goal is to figure out who the facts describe.
    7. We read aloud the facts and guess as a class.

- This activity really eases the tension on the first day of school.

7. shouldbeasleep

Aug 7, 2007

I like that one! I think I'll try to do that too. My cheeks are puffy from blowing up balloons. This balloon pop had better work. I also like the teacher quiz one. Sounds like I'm going to play games all day tomorrow. Maybe I should try teaching something!! LOL I should also propably go to bed, but I know I won't. Can't sleep the day before school starts--and I've been teaching over 20 years.

8. pokybloom

pokybloom Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

That is so cute! I love it!!

9. osutx

osutx Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

I have two I'm going to use. First is "me in a bag". You have a sack and put things about yourself in it (favorite book, picture, something you collect, postcards of travels, favorite things). Then you share it with the class. I model the first day, then send home a little paper with the kids explaining the activity for the parents. I always tell them don't send anything that is precious or breakable. The kids then share the next day.
    This year I am going to try the "toilet paper game". You have a roll of toilet paper. You pass it around the room and tell the kids to take as much as they think they will need. For each square they took, they have to share something about themselves with the class.

10. shouldbeasleep

Aug 10, 2007

The balloon pop I described above went well. the kids were enthusiastic about popping them and acting out the procedure. I think, though, it took too long with 22 kids. Next year, I'll just do half the number and they have to pop it together and act it out together.

The quiz worked well too as a filler while we waited forever for lunch. Backed up as usual. They need to find a better way to get the kids through the line. I was extremely hungry by 1:10, 50 minutes after we were supposed to start! You can bet me and my hunger crazed body complained after school.:mad:

11. novalyne

novalyne Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

I love the balloon idea!

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2007

I like the charade idea too. I'm wondering if I can just fold the pice of paper in half and put them in a box/hat and just have them pull a paper out. I don't have time at all to blow up all of those balloons!

I plan to do quite a bit of getting to know you activities.

Wednesday: Student Survey, Teacher Test, Welcome Back Bingo

Thursday: Snowball Fight, Getting to know you as a reader, Procedure Charade, Write letter to self about what 5th grade will be like

Friday: This is Me Poem

13. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 11, 2007

What is "Welcome Back Bingo?":confused:

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2007

A sixth grade teacher mentioned this and I asked the same thing.

Hmm... I posted a link where I found my Welcome Back Bingo Card but it didn't work. HOld on.

Okay, I can't figure it out. BUT, here is Teacheroo's response when I asked her what it was.

Peachyness> For welcome back bingo I give each student a chart with 25 squares. In each square is something different (ie. has been to another country, is the middle child, has the longest hair in class, flew in an airplane over the summer, lives in an apartment, etc.) Then the students go around and ask each other to sign their page in boxes that are true for them. They may not sign a persons page more than one time. The first person who gets a Bingo (5 in a row) wins. It's a little chaotic, but the kids love it and they get to know each other a little better.

15. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 11, 2007

Thanks! And here I thought I was the only teacher up at midnight..hehe

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2007

:D This is the first time I've stayed up late in a while. I went camping in the mountains and so with no computer, all I could do in the evening was sleep!

17. shouldbeasleep

Aug 12, 2007

WHY AM I STILL UP??? I'm going to be so tired tomorrow! I thought starting school in the middle of the week was crazy, but now I'm glad. We had a short week, recoup on the weekend, and then...full steam ahead! I'm making myself stop now. If you see me on here in sometime in the night, fuss at me.