1st Day - Class Rules - Post them?

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by ayotte04, Jul 27, 2007.

1. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 27, 2007

Alright so in about a month (omg that's scary) I start school. I want to keep my rules as simple as possible (think short and sweet). What are your rules? Do you post them?

3. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2007

I have one rule, but it covers EVERYTHING

Do nothing to interfere with teaching or learning.....see the other good thing about this rule is that the kids cannot argue the finer points of the rule with you, it is what it is. Did you interfere with teaching or learning? If they argue, then what was I doing or fellow students doing? Did your actions interupt that? THen you broke the rule......

Yes post right away and then go over rules and procedures for your first lesson, also introduce your procedures for EVERYTHING, tell them what spaces are off limits etc, then give them an overview of your class, this year we will....fill in the blank

BE sure they are posted before the first day and go over them every day for a week or two. Then if a child breaks a rule, or does not follow a procedure have them stay after school for a "clinic" and reteach the procedure to teh student. You know what, just buy Adam Waxler's book 52 teaching tips from the store section of this site, download it and read it tonight......:D

4. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jul 28, 2007

I know you're middle school and I'm kindergarten, but I post my GENERAL rules on the first day:
    Listen
    Be Nice
    Have Fun
    Learn​

Each one has an icon to help understanding. Then, in a graphic organizer format, we brainstorm over the next few days how to do those things, and the kids come up with the "do's and don'ts" that we'll be following all year.

I make a poster that we can add to if needed.

Good luck! :)

5. LA/FLnewbie

LA/FLnewbie Companion

Jul 28, 2007

Do you feel it is helpful/important to discuss rules or goals with your students to have them give input? I hear many sources recommending this but wonder if it really works.

Also, what about writing a "class procedures" outline that kids and their parents have to sign as a kind of contract? I was thinking about trying this method.

6. kyblue07

kyblue07 Companion

Jul 28, 2007

I absolutely post my classroom rules/expectations. We also have a school-wide expectations chart for different settings while students are at school, which isn't a big deal because the teachers developed it. Then we each have our own specific expectations for our classrooms.
    I am still working on mine for this year. So far, this is what I have that is most important to me in my room:

Be respectful. Handle situations in an appropriate way.

Be prepared. Bringing notebook and writing utensils EVERY DAY are the responsibilities of the student.

Be focused. Listen, think, participate, and learn!

I have about 2 weeks till school starts and I don't feel like I am anywhere ready for it.

7. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 28, 2007

I do, I have a poster size copy of my syllabus hanging up in my room.

8. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 28, 2007

I post my expectations.

1. You may engage in any behavior that does not jeopardize the safety or learning of yourself or others. Unkind words and actions will not be tolerated.

2. Students may remain in the classroom as long as they do not cause a problem for anyone else.

3. I teach only when there are no distractions or other problems.

4. If someone causes a problem, I will do something. What I do will depend on the unique situation.

5. Respect is the key word in creating a positive classroom environment.

R - Respond toward others in an appropriate manner
    E - Excellence is expected!
    S - Serve others.
    P - Pay attention and participate.
    E - Encourage, not discourage, others.
    C - Come to class prepared to learn with all materials, a good attitude, and on time to lay a foundation for learning.
    T - Treat others as you would like to be treated. Take responsibility for your actions.

(I teach at a faith-based school, so I secularized the above. Mine have scripture to back each point)

9. cjven

cjven Rookie

Jul 28, 2007

I always have them posted the first day.

Here are my rules!

1. Have all appropriate materials and supplies at your desk and be seated when class begins.
    2. Respect the people, equipment and furnishings of the room.
    3. Adjust your voice level to suit the activity.
    4. Follow directions the first time they are given.
    5. Observe all rules in the student handbook.

10. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2007

My Rules (pretty much taken word for word from Love & Logic, and yes, they are posted in my room:

CLASSROOM RULES:
    I will treat you with respect so you will know how to treat me.
    Feel free to do anything that doesn’t cause a problem with anyone else.
    If you cause a problem, I will ask you to solve it.
    If you can’t solve a problem, or choose not to, I will do something.
    What I do will depend on the special problem and the special situation.
    If you feel something is unfair, whisper to me, “I’m not sure that’s fair” and we’ll talk.

11. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 28, 2007

is that something I can buy at a teacher store or Barnes and Noble? I'm a fan of hard copies...kinestetic learner that I am. how do you spell that word anyway?

12. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 28, 2007

Well since this will be my first year, i want to do things my way, no questions asked, so i doubt I'll be seeking their input.

in terms of a "class procedures" contract, i like the idea...im afraid I'll get carried away and instead make it look like a legal document with binding clauses. :lol: But I think it is important for BOTH parents and students to know how things run in the class. Thanks for reminding me.

13. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 28, 2007

mm interesting. poster size copy of syllabus. hadnt considered it.

14. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 28, 2007

I teach at a faith based school also, can you post what you actually put in your classroom? It would be appreciated....~SK

15. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 28, 2007

I sent it to you. I don't know if others would appreciate it. I did once (don't remember which forum) and I apparently offended someone.

16. LA/FLnewbie

LA/FLnewbie Companion

Jul 28, 2007

It will be my first year too...I'm worried about discipline and want to be "tough" from the start, so I think I might save this strategy for next year to try it out...I still might have a dicussion in which students set class goals together and post them on a big piece of paper so we can keep referring to them!

17. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 28, 2007

I have never had success with letting the students have input. Others have sworn by it. I probably do it wrong. But after 36 years (minus two student input years) of doing it MY way, I will probably continue to do it my way. :)

18. EnglishMiss

EnglishMiss Rookie

Jul 28, 2007

Definitely do that. I just have a section of the last page of my syllabus for the students to sign and take home for their parents to sign. It's nice because I can include a friendly hello specifically to parents, ask for their preferred contact information, and then I have their "agreement" signature in case I get a parent furious about my policies later in the year. Didn't have to use it last year at all, but it's nice to have the backup. :) I even make the signature sheet be their first grade in the gradebook to make sure I get them all back - I know we're not supposed to grade on behavior, but this is only 10 points and it's a good way for all the kids to "start at 100%".

19. FutureFLTeacher

FutureFLTeacher Companion

Jul 28, 2007

I'm still fine tuning mine but so far I have what I consider a fairly conscise line up:

Be respectful to all!

Be prepared each day!

Participate and encourage others!

Have fun while you learn!

I also like wldywall's rule of doing nothing that interferes with teaching...definitely no grey areas there...:)

20. JenJen

JenJen Rookie

Jul 28, 2007

Can you email me a copy as well?? ;) I will be teaching at a Christian school and would LOVE to see an example!

21. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 29, 2007

JenJen - Sent

22. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Jul 29, 2007

Yep, I made a big poster on the computer.

Rules:

R - Yourselves
    E
    S - Each other
    P
    E
    C - The learning environment
    T