1st/2nd Split - Help!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by aek471, Jul 25, 2011.

1. aek471

aek471 Rookie

Jul 25, 2011

I just found out that I've been moved from a regular 1st grade classroom to a 1st/2nd split for the upcoming school year. I'm a little anxious about this; I'm not quite sure how to teach 2 curricula at the same time. If you've taught a split, or have them in your school, any advice of any kind would be greatly appreciated!

3. theteacherinme

theteacherinme Rookie

Jul 25, 2011

I taught a 4/5 and a 2/3 split. I really enjoyed it. Here's how I did it:

Math: I taught math workshop. So the kids had stations that they rotated to. I had 4 stations (4 groups). I had two groups of 2nd graders and two groups of 3rd graders. When they moved around the room to the various stations, they worked on their own grade level material. When they came to my station (where I taught the lesson) j taught the lesson for their grade. It worked out very well.

Reading: reading workshop is already differentiated so it worked out well. I just combined mini lessons to make sure that I hit all of the content for each grade. Sometimes I'd meet with one grade while the othe grade worked on independent reading or daily 5.

Writing: it was tricky. The writing curriulum was very different in my district. I usually met in small groups and the kids wrote different pieces.

Science/social studies: My kids rotated classroom. I taught all of second grade, and my third graders went to a third grade teacher. Try to see if the teachers in your building are willing to do this.

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 25, 2011

I've taught 1/2, 2/3 and 3/4.

I do math workshop, readers workshop, and writers workshop. I combined social studies and science and we did it whole class. Our FOSS kits are for grades 1/2 so they work for both levels, and I design my own social studies based on state standards, so I could easily combine that too.

Sometimes my mini-lessons in math or reading would be more geared toward one grade or another, and the rest of the kids would sort of just take their time to learn it or it would be review.

I did do small groups for phonics/spelling. I would have the other kids do centers or independent work while I took the small groups.

5. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2011

Try Daily 5 for reading.

For math, I would practice fact s together. Then have 4 small groups.
    1. new/current concept with me
    2. Practice #1 (ideally have an aide available to help)
    3. problem solving
    4. old concept or game

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 25, 2011

A couple of years ago, my school had a 2/3 combo class. I think the class had 8 second graders and 12 third graders (this was back in the days when we had a 20:1 ratio)!

Anyway, the 2nd graders were deployed to the other four 2nd grade teachers during the entire language arts block. Thus, I had two extra students for the entire morning, but it wasn't bad at all. In fact, none of the four 2nd grade teachers complained about having two extra students each.

During math, though, the teacher had both 2nd and 3rd grade together. I believe she taught her 2nd graders first (while her 3rd graders worked independently) and then when her 2nd graders were ready to work independently, she pulled her 3rd graders to teach their lesson.

7. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2011

I am moving to 1/2 next year also. I have been teaching 1st for several years. I am planning on revamping the curriculum to make the math more concept oriented and workshop. I also will be making the reading into much more guided reading with Daily Five to help.

8. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2011

Will you have your former students as 2nd graders? I think that would be helpful.

9. 5leafclover

5leafclover Companion

Jul 26, 2011

I taught a 1/2 Multi-age (our principal hated the word "split") for the last 3 years. It's not that different if you do guided reading, writer's workshop and have a science and social studies rotating system. Math was by far the hardest thing to deal with. I had to have math groups similar to guided reading. Luckily I have had a para and an intern to help manage the groups.

The one thing I was thankful for about moving to 5th this year is that I won't have to deal with Multi-age anymore. To be honest I'm not a huge fan of it.

10. aek471

aek471 Rookie

Jul 26, 2011

Thank you everyone for all the advice! I will have some of my old students from last year, which will help, but the majority of the class (at 28 right now) will be new to me. Math is what I'm most concerned about, thanks for the tips! Good luck to you too, emonkey, hope it works out as well!