1st & 2nd grade combination

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by asumountaineer, Jul 7, 2009.

1. asumountaineer

asumountaineer Rookie

Jul 7, 2009

This will be my second year teaching a 1/2 combination class. Last year I found out at the last minute, so I did my very best with the short notice. I want to do a better job this year since I know ahead of time and have a chance to prepare. Any ideas or suggestions?

3. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 7, 2009

You will need to be very organized and not have any slack time. There are some subjects you can teach to the whole group. LA you will probably need to teach separately, so you will have to plan what the other group is doing. My DD teacher had one grade doing seat work while she did reading groups. She had one group do math centers while she taught the lesson to the other grade. etc.

4. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jul 7, 2009

I teach a multi-age 1/2 class.

My top tips:

-Teach procedures and routines until they can do them in their sleep. It is VERY worth it to take the time to do this with any class, but especially a multi-age class.

-Check into the Daily 5/CAFE. It makes my language arts block SO much easier. I have a seperate writing time and use a combo of Lucy Calkins/6 Traits for that.

-Have a place for everything. Have the kids help with cleaning up and putting things away. Put them in charge of things so your day moves smoother.