1979 Flashback

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by TeacherShelly, Apr 10, 2007.

1. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 10, 2007

My how times have changed. I just read Your Five Year Old Child by Louise Bates Ames (c1979). Check this out:

"As for the writing (or actually printing) of letters, most (Five-and-a-half year olds) can at least print random letters and many can do better than that. The largest number (though not yet half of all children at Five) can print their first name. By Five-and-a-half, more than half can print at least their first name and a substantial number can print both first and last names. Or at least they know what letter their last name begins with."

Where I live, at least, all the kids in PreK are printing their full first names, and most are just turning 5.

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 10, 2007

heh...

All of my 3's can tell me what letter their name starts with, and almost all of them can spell it (the longer names happen to belong to the ones who have trouble anyway)... they can all write at least the first, and most can print their first name (although they don't all write it properly... working on that!)... I have several who can write the alphabet, or most of it. Most of them can spell their last name if they're looking at it.

PreK (4's at the beginning of the year) has ALL the kids printing their first and last names in the morning when they sign in.

Times have changed... or are we pushing down the curriculum too far? (perhaps a bit of both!!!)

4. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Apr 10, 2007

I would like to see if kids today will be any farther ahead when they are in middle school/high school/college then those from the 1970's. In the long run, I don't think it will make that much of a difference if they could write their first and last name in k or prek.
    I think we are pushing down the curriculum too far......but that's just me and I'm from the old school.;)

5. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Apr 10, 2007

I'm with you Kinder!:D

6. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 10, 2007

I agree!

7. lw3teach

lw3teach Companion

Apr 11, 2007

We already know that the high school pushes advanced courses wwwwaaaayyyy to early, and in my opinion, when they aren't ready for it. Also, the valedictorian now has to have way above a 4.0, which seems so ridiculous to me, but my question would be: Are these kids truly understanding what they are learning? Are they really internalizing it?
    And to throw another wrench in everything, now kids main education is via technology. How has that impacted their brain process?
    OOOOO... now I have to stop! I am starting to get antsy about it all!

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 11, 2007

Count me in. I have started a new job, and had to eliminate worksheets, homework, parent conferences, and report cards.

Tonight I will train my staff on using Creative Curriculum lesson planning. I have been here for five months and enrollment has grown, and word of mouth has brought in most of the new students. When the children are happy, and learning, it shows.

9. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Apr 11, 2007

Things sure have changed! I just talked to my mom the other day about how when she was in school she didn't read or write till first grade but was still able to complete a bachelor's degree. It just makes me wonder if pushing back curriculum helps anything.

10. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 11, 2007

Tell me more about your school? What age students, public or private, details :)