19 Year Old Student Here With Some Questions

Discussion in 'General Education' started by pistons125, Jun 10, 2009.

1. pistons125

pistons125 New Member

Jun 10, 2009

Hello Teachers!

I am a 19 year old male college student who just finished my first year of college. I am still confused on what I want to pursue my studies in, so it's pretty much wide open right now.

To make sure teaching is the right path for me, I will be observing a couple days next school year in my 6th grade teachers class room, which I am looking forward to..

I am considering teaching, but have one concern. I read somewhere that the starting average salary for a teacher (in MI) is only $32,000. Is this true (if anyone knows?)? I am concerned that it would take a whole lot of time just to earn a decent amount compared to the work a teacher has to do and put up with.

I am also concerned with how hard it may end up being trying to find a teaching job. I don't want to end up having to struggle for years finding a job.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! :)

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 10, 2009

$32,000 sounds about right to me. The best thing you can do is get your Master's and plus credits as quickly as you can. This will move you up the scale quickly and most of the time your school will pay for it or part of it.

How much you will struggle finding a job depends on the area you are looking to teach in. If you are willing to move, you shouldn't have too much of a problem. It will also depend on what subject/grade you are teaching.

4. pistons125

pistons125 New Member

Jun 10, 2009

Thank you so much for your reply!

Do most current teachers earn a masters BEFORE finding a teaching job? Or do most of them work at during teaching?

Just curious

Anyone's input is appreciated!!
    Thanks

5. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Jun 10, 2009

I'll be starting my master's this summer, while teaching. There are arguments on both sides of the coin... districts in upscale areas often prefer teachers with Masters degrees. More urban or rural districts often prefer teachers without them because they're cheaper.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2009

Teaching is very rewarding career, but one that also involves a LOT of hoops to jump through. In addition, as you stated, the pay isn't very high for beginning teachers. Then, there's the difficulties of finding a teaching job (have you visited the job seekers section of this website?). I am having to go back to school to get another degree so that I will actually be marketable.

7. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 10, 2009

I got my master's after I had been in the classroom for a while. I would definitely advise you to get your master's. Unfortunately teachers are not paid what they are worth, but there are many other rewards. If you are just in it for the money, then it's not for you. If you want to make a difference in the lives of kids, help them learn, and possibly be the one teacher they remember when they are 40 because you cared about them, then go for it.

8. Petite_Teacher

Petite_Teacher Companion

Jun 11, 2009

Like the others mentioned above getting a Masters would increase your salary. You could get your Masters online while Teaching so that is another option so you can be working in the process.

I think you observing a classroom to see if you want to teach would be a good idea. Also have you thought about getting a mentor. Someone who is a Teacher who teaches the grade level and subject you are interested in. They can be there to answer any questions you may have and offer support.

9. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jun 11, 2009

32K sounds about right for a BA. Most teachers will work a few years then begin their masters - in MI (I am originally from there), after getting your masters it will increase your pay significantly. However, you should want and desire to go into teaching should be about your love/passion to teach children because regardless of the pay, time off, etc., there is a lot more to teaching than most realize and you have to have that love to teach to get through it all.:2cents::2cents:

10. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Jun 11, 2009

Go for it man! You're right, it's going to be somewhat difficult to find a job right away, but isn't that true for most jobs especially in these times?

Who knows what the job market will look like in 3 years when you're done- it could be a lot better for you. And if you take time to make a killer resume, good letters of recommendation, and a teaching portfolio your chances will only increase.

I graduated 2 years ago from college and got a job right away, which I was very thankful for. I can tell you that it took right around two years to organize my curriculum and materials, establish communication and set up good relationships with parents and faculty, etc.

I can tell you that it's been everything I hoped for and more. Sometimes I wonder to myself: "I can't believe they pay me to do this stuff!" I really have a good time and if you can enjoy yourself and LOVE being in the classroom with the kids, you'll never work a day in your life.

11. SubtoTeacher

SubtoTeacher Rookie

Jun 11, 2009

That's so encouraging - thanks for sharing Doug HSTeach 07.

Woohoo - my 2nd post!

12. dcalhoun

dcalhoun Companion

Jun 11, 2009

Some education masters programs require you to have classroom experience first.

13. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Jun 11, 2009

Welcome aboard!

14. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jun 11, 2009

Most of the teachers at my school do not have their master's. The pay difference is not much in my county. And no one pays for you to go but you. You don't have to ever get a master's. More teacher in my school have their National Board Certification. Our county was paying almost $8000 a year more for that, but because of budget cuts, totally cut the funding to NBC. Make sure you observe in several grade levels-you might like one far more than another. I first interned in 6th grade and hated it so bad I was going to quit being a teacher, but then went to Kindergarten and have been there 32 years. Good luck.:2up: