17 Pages!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Aug 19, 2013.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 19, 2013

That's how long my language arts curriculum is for the 1st week of school-47 objectives (granted some are review-but still)! I am all for throwing some academics into the first week-but this is completely disregarding the fact that we have to do assessments and set routines. I do a lot of classroom community-type activities the first week not to mention some fun read-alouds, things to hang up for Open House. You don't even know where the kids are yet!

We have a reading adoption (but are fortunate in that we are allowed to supplement)-even starting Day 1 with that I think is just wrong. They are talking leveled readers/workstations everything. I'm not going to follow it-but seriously, how can someone write that on the page and think it's feasible?! :eek:

3. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2013

I heard my principal is expecting us to start with the first lesson in our new ELA program the first day of school (even tough we might not even have the program then!) It's just not going to happen in my room. I'll be lucky if I get to it by the 3rd day. I figure if I spend time doing things the way I know they work (going over routines and procedures) I'll be able to catch up later. If I don't do the important beginning of the year stuff things might get so bad that I'm not able to get things done in the classroom because no one knows the rules or procedures or routines!

4. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 19, 2013

Good for you for not even pretending to try to cover that. Stay the course.

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2013

That is so rediculous. We start a few, small academic things next week (our second week back), but nothing too over the top.

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 20, 2013

That's as bad as our third grade pacing guide - it expects the kids to start the year multiplying and dividing within 100 (seriously, that's what the 1st 5 weeks is, and nothing else), when they have NEVER done multiplication, and many are still struggling with addition without regrouping! Ugh. My coworker and I (2 3rd grade classes) are beginning with place value, then addition, then subtraction, THEN we'll look at multiplication.

7. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 20, 2013

I feel your pain Kinder. We had A LOT of people jump ship this school year (including one teacher only one day before school) so instead of our P lightening up or trying to, I dunno, make school a more pleasant place so people will stop leaving, she's become even worse.

The last two days, she's been in and out of rooms with her clipboard and camera writing and taking pictures, then she sends you an email with a list and photos of things you've done wrong (ie: when she came into my room, a boy forgot his sweater at his chair. I told him to get it and come back to the carpet, but I didn't make him move his color, so I got "cited" for that in an email. :eek:

Apparently "even first graders need to be held accountable". I understand that, but IT'S THE SECOND DAY OF SCHOOL! HE'S SIX! Plus I have several behavior issues this year. His was so small)

:hijack:Sorry. I didn't mean to vent, but I feel your pain. The two weeks of school should be about rules and procedures. Not cramming objectives down kids throats