153 Days Until Kindergarten

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by mrgrinch09, Mar 13, 2014.

1. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Mar 13, 2014

There's 153 days until the kids in my class go off to Kindergarten.

It can't get here soon enough.

I've never had a class of children that were this bad. I've had individual kids that have been difficult, but as a whole, this is the worst group I've ever had.

Any horrible behavior that you can think of, I've got it in my class at this time. I've got hitters, tantrum throwers, tattle-tales, potty mouths, runners, bad table manners, argumentative disrespectful language, horrible nap time resters. We can't walk down the hallway without an incident. I've had to limit 2 kids to a center because they don't know how to play without fighting. No one can follow directions. I repeat the same thing, to the same kids, at the same time, every day.

They are the loudest group of kids I've ever had to work with. No one knows how to speak in a normal talking voice. Their normal talking voice is shouting!!!

We've cancelled field trips this year because we weren't sure we could trust them to behave out in public. I've always taken my classes on walks around the block, but not this group. I'm afraid one of them would run out into traffic.

The parents have been no help this year. I've written notes home, had parent conferences, but nothing has improved. Some of the parents are really trying, some are just oblivious to their kid's behavior, and some are just plain bad parents that blame others for their kid's behavior.

13 of the 18 go off to Kindergarten, and I can't wait for them to leave. Hopefully, the classroom dynamics will change once those kids go off to Kindergarten. Only 153 days to go.

It's not only the behaviors of the children, but their individual personalities are obnoxious and abrasive. They just aren't likable children. I feel like a horrible teacher because I personally don't like these kids. Have you ever had a kid in your class that you thought was obnoxious, and you didn't want to be around them?

I'm just venting here. I'm not really looking for any advice to improve my situation. I've lost all hope of any improvement this year. My goals for the rest of the school year are keep the kids safe, don't say anything to a parent that will get me fired, and try to maintain my sanity.

Only 153 days to go. :woot:

3. bora

bora Rookie

Mar 13, 2014

I subbed once in a kindergarten class that wasn't different from what you just described. My worst experience ever as a sub. I couldn't make them stop talking even for a second. Transition from one activity to another was very challenging. It took me more than 20 min to have them all on the carpet for Read Aloud,(hmm not all of them though) and after indoor recess I had to clean up their mess myself, because they were so out of control. OMG I don't know how I "survived" that day. hahahah :dizzy:

4. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Mar 14, 2014

The 4 weirdest things I've had to say this week:

Grocery carts are not for throwing.

Don't punch your friend in the private parts with the octopus.

Don't eat soup with your hands.

Stop smelling your friend's butt.

5. s_is_for_sarah

s_is_for_sarah New Member

Mar 20, 2014

:)

My very first pre-k class was like this and I felt totally incompetent. I was a mother of 3 and held a degree in child development, but I could just not get the hang of teaching that group. Turns out, they were just really, really difficult children. Every class since has been enjoyable.

6. ms.pekkle

ms.pekkle Rookie

Apr 2, 2014

I feel like my class is similar to yours. I teach kinder, and it's my first year. I have one kid that I feel is obnoxious and not too likable.

I give it up to the fact that it's my first year and that my classroom management (and lesson plans!! :( ) do not allow for 100% learning to take place.

Eh.

7. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Apr 2, 2014

Thank goodness we don't work at the same school because I have the same kind of group in kindergarten and I really don't think my sanity could stand another year of what I have had to deal with this year. I feel your pain and I am so sorry you are having a rough year. Luckily they leave my room and go to first grade on June 6. Can't wait!

8. HeatherTeacher

HeatherTeacher Rookie

Apr 4, 2014

8 more weeks of school

This is my first year of teaching prekindergarten. I am so ready for the year to be over, only 8 more weeks. The boys in my classroom do not listen at all. Three of my students hit each other, one of them rolls his eyes at teachers, and three of them run around the room and roll all over the floor. I am so over it. I have 20 kids and an assistant.

9. wyvern

wyvern Companion

Apr 5, 2014

Oh it's very hard. I call them Classes from Hell. Or sometimes just days from hell. There is no easy answer. But one thing I tell myself, over and over and over is my mantra. "Don't expect kids to come to you. (to your expectations). You must go to them. Kids won't learn higher skills till they get the lower ones. Maybe the first year is just about teaching regulation. Using strict schedules but appropriate activities. (maybe mushy hands on stuff?) Lots of practice scenarios. Lots of "First we do this, then we can do that." Lot's of starting over. "I see you are not ready to stand in line. Go back to your seat till you are ready to stand in line and follow the rules." (go over school rules everyday. Make some kind of ritual to reward desired behavior. Lots of music, dancing, moving, squishing, stomping, pulling, tearing activities. Go to them and bring them up. That's our roles as teachers.

10. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Jun 3, 2014

I've got 70 more days to go until Kindergarten starts.

The "Screamer" had his last day on Friday.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

:dizzy:

11. FogFor

FogFor New Member

Jun 5, 2014

quizans

12. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Aug 14, 2014

They're all gone!!!!!

I survived!!!!

Hooray for Kindergarten!!!

I feel sorry for the Kindergarten teachers that get this group of kids.