10th Grade Non-fiction/Fiction

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by jzsiteach, Oct 30, 2014.

1. jzsiteach

jzsiteach New Member

Oct 30, 2014

Hello,

Can anyone recommend either a fiction or a nonfiction for my 9th-10th graders? I am looking for something somewhat recent. For example, The Hunger Games, but not that one (over done at my school).

Thanks!

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 31, 2014

We read Divergent, Maze Runner, Hunger Games, and Ender's Game as lit circles. We just started Night (my favorite unit). We'll also do A Raisin in the Sun. My Adv. students will do First They Killed My Father and An Ordinary Man as lit circles. Last year we also did Of Mice and Men.

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Oct 31, 2014

Night - we do that at 11. Students love it.
    Of Mice and Men - Students love it.
    Anthem - Some students like this one.
    Tears of a Tiger - Students love it.
    To Kill a Mockingbird - Students don't love this one. :(
    The Count of Monte Cristo - Some students like this one.
    A Child Called It - Students love this one.

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 31, 2014

Ku, I'm glad to hear your students don't like TKAM either. I was so disappointed when mine didn't. It went over so negatively, I no longer teach it. Our advanced freshmen read it now.

I do remember hating it when I first read it before 9th grade for summer reading.

6. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Oct 31, 2014

TKaM is one of those dividing books -- people either love it, or hate it. I haven't ever taught it to a full class, just in a lit circle where it was chosen by some very high-level students who loved it. I think the vocabulary and setting make it inaccessible for some students.

I always recommend Touching Spirit Bear which may be a bit low for 10th depending on your students, but if you are looking for something engaging and accessible, this is a great pick!

7. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 31, 2014

Native Son by Richard Wright is an incredible book that they would enjoy. It is incredibly exciting with some important themes in it as well.

Uglies by Scott Westerfield is very popular and very good. Slants a bit toward the females in interest level, but then Native Son slants a bit toward the males in interest level.

8. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Nov 1, 2014

My sophs just finished reading The Glass Castle, which they enjoyed a lot. Many of our students identify that as their favorite book in high school.

9. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Nov 1, 2014

All of the books mentioned (except glass castle, a great idea) have been taught at the 6th grade level at my urban school, so I question their appropriateness for students 4 years older. I know they are interesting, but....

10. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Nov 1, 2014

Native Son was taught in 6th grade at your urban school? I am surprised knowing some of the mature content in it.

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Nov 1, 2014

TKAM is 6th grade? Night? Of Mice and Men? An Ordinary Man? First They Killed My Father?

I avoid conflict at all costs, but I'd be raising bloody h*** if I had kids of my own reading those books at that age. They certainly don't need to read about rape that young. Or genocide for that matter. I can't imagine your students understanding the Rwandan or Cambodian genocides. It's a difficult thing for adults to understand (the historical context alone...).

Go look up lexile levels for some books mentioned. They fit the text complexity standard. Some of mine don't, but I choose to start with young adult lit. It's an awesome start to the year and they practice text based questions and PARCC like quizzes and tests with those books first. We also read more difficult short stories with the unit too.

12. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 1, 2014

I question the appropriateness of teaching some of those titles at grade 6.

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 1, 2014

Check the Common Core websites for grade-appropriate texts. I've seen a couple of good appendices that also provide plenty of solid standards to use.

TKAM is my major anchor text for my 9th graders in the second half of the school year, along with Night, Diary of Anne Frank, and "I Have a Dream". This goes along with the Common Core appendix my school used to align curriculum.

14. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2014

I know at least two of these are currently being taught in my former high school. I know Of Mice and Men is taught in Sophomore English. I can't remember which grade I was subbing for TKAM.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 2, 2014

The page for To Kill a Mockingbird on California's online Recommended Literature List indicates that the book is in the grade 9-12 span - which sounds about right to me. So also with Night and Of Mice and Men, and I should think that would be true of First They Killed My Father, if for no better reason than parents flipping out upon reading the title.

I can imagine a GATE sixth grader picking up one or more of these to read on her own, but teaching them in a sixth-grade classroom strikes me as less courageous or rigorous than foolhardy.

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 2, 2014

I taught TKAM one-on-one to an average 8th grader and it went over well. Except she just stared at me as I read through torrents of tears at the end.

The books I loved most when I was in high school were by Carson McCullers - Member of the Wedding and The Heart is a Lonely Hunter. I don't know why they've been forgotten. They are so touching and beautiful. I recommend them to teachers, anyway.

17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 2, 2014

Here is the appendix with grade-appropriate books (fiction and non-fiction) along with sample performance tasks I had mentioned. There are also some great math and science reading suggestions.

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 2, 2014

What a great resource, cat!