10th Grade English, Block Periods!

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by ms.irene, Jul 23, 2014.

1. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2014

My part-time position at a new school keeps growing...now I will be teaching one section of English 10 in addition to 3 sections of French! I am so excited and nervous! This will be my first time teaching HS English in a traditional setting (I taught 11th and 12th grade English online for three years, but it is a very different ballgame). I taught HS ELD last year, but was required to follow a strict program that was...not a good fit for me (or the students IMO). I also taught MS ELA for three years. So I am excited to finally teach the subject and level that I initially trained for after seven years of other experiences, but I'm also nervous since it will be my first time!

I haven't gotten any of the curriculum or access to books yet, but I am wondering how other teachers approach HS English -- how do you structure your classes? How do you break down a 100-minute block for English? How do you decide which texts to use? I am planning on brushing up on the CC standards, but I know they are more of a guide than a prescription. Any thoughts, suggestions, or just moral support are welcome!

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2014

I'm going to have sophs this year for the first time in many years. We read Lord of the Flies, Macbeth, and The Glass Castle, plus several short stories, and we do a pretty comprehensive research paper during the course of the year. At least, that's what I remember! 100 minutes is the equivalent to two periods at my school--my only advice is to provide a lot of variety during that long period. Good luck!

4. mrsroos

mrsroos Rookie

Jul 29, 2014

What Mrs. K said is right on! We also read Animal Farm. I tried to only have them read 30-40 minutes max otherwise you will lose them for the rest of the block. After reading I would always have them do some questions or partner activities relating to the stories. Also some of the other 10th grade teachers had them do a career project rather then a research paper, I would honestly say it depends on your kids and what they will benefit from the most :) It takes a while to get use to having them for so long but you will end up loving it! I'm teaching summer school and only have my kids for 50 mins and its killing me! hahaha! GOOD LUCK :) you'll do great!

5. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2014

Thank you for the suggestions! I still haven't heard back from my dept. heads and am starting to feel a little anxious...mostly I just want to know what books/texts I will be teaching! I have taught on blocks before so I am familiar with what that means, but I was teaching ELD and a "scripted" (ugh) program so it was very different. I would love to do Animal Farm and Shakespeare...British Lit is my jam! :) But really I will be happy to teach any of the sub-topics. I just want to get my hands on that book room after a year of "not being allowed" to use books!