100th day in pre-k

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by brejohnson88, Jan 25, 2011.

1. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Jan 25, 2011

Does anyone celebrate the 100th day in preschool. If so, what kind of activities have you used in the past. I wanted to send home a take-home project the kids can complete (such as bringing 10 items or even a 100 items..) anyone have any suggestions?

3. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Jan 25, 2011

I did the celebration of 100 days of school in 2009 with my second graders in our English classroom.
    We enjoyed it so much that we inluded it in the open class to share w parents!
    Each kid brought a collection of 100 objects (bottles´tops, pencils´leads, shells, earrings,little toys, leaves, etc)
    Kids were very excited!
    As a challenge they wrote a description of their collection (using English as second language).
    We also did a shared snack where we counted 100 M and Ms, 100 cookies, 100 Skittles, 100 candies, etc, etc, it was fun!
    We walked 100 steps around school, girls gave 100 kisses decorating a huge white paper and boys built houses with 100 Legos.
    One of the funniest activities was doing 100 sit ups, 100 spines and some other ex., we took the time and they could not stop laughing.
    I think this is it! If something else pops into my mind, I`ll post it later.
    Hope it is useful for you and your class.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 25, 2011

In pre-K, I would probably stick to asking the students to each bring in 10-20 items of some kind. Try to get enough students to bring in the same thing that you end up with 100.

If you have very involved parents and provide enough time (about a week), you could have them bring in 100 items. It would be great counting practice. But they would need parent help.

We've also had students bring in words or items or pictures that start with a certain letter (S or whatever you are learning). Then we post these around the room until we have 100. Something special is given to the child with the 100 item!

5. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2011

We have done 100 items per kid, but I 've instructed the parents to have the kids make 10 groups of 10, and then show the kids how to count by 10s (which is something that's covered by our curriculum, anyway). I've done it before where they bring in 100 of a small snack (cheerios, m&ms, etc) and mix them all together into a huge trail mix, but I'm a little too germophobic lately to partake in that....

We read the Chicka Chicka 123 book where zero is the hero of the number tree. We read The Wolf's Chicken Stew by Keiko Kaszo and then we write/draw what 100 things we'd most like to eat.

I make a giant 100 grid and they practice throwing a beanbag onto it, then they name the # where it lands (if they don't recognize the numbers that are larger, it's perfectly fine to just name the numerals that make up the number, for example - instead of saying 61, they may say "a six and a one.")

I put a timer on for 100 seconds and see if they can perform one action for that long (hopping, balancing, etc), so they get a sense of how long that really is.

I'm actually looking for new things to spice up our celebration, myself.

6. missnaebay

missnaebay Rookie

Jan 29, 2011

great activities i wanna do a 100 day in my pre-k class