100-Yr-Old Driver Hits Children

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 30, 2012

On the news today, a 100-yr old driver backs his car up into some kids & 2 adults. No one seems to have died, but the driver, who has no history of violations, nor wasn't under any influences, will be giving his car up.

At what age did your parents stop driving, if they have indeed stopped? Or how about your grandparents?

My dad's 83 & although has been pretty quick-witted, has stopped driving at about 77/78, I believe. My mom's 10 yrs youger &just turned 74 & still drives. She's still very active & no one thinks she looks her age. She wants to get her last new car for her 75th birthday.

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 30, 2012

I saw an elderly man getting gas yesterday. When he was putting his credit card in his hands were shaking and so was his head...I don't know if he had Parkinsons or something else but it kind of scared me that he was driving like that when he could barely put his credit card in the slot. I was thankful when he turned right out of the gas station and I turned left!

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2012

My granny was still driving into her 80s.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 30, 2012

My parents are all in their 60's and still driving. My only living grandparent is 83 and still drives. My other grandparents all drove until they died, except for a grandmother who never drove, not once in her life.

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2012

My gpa was in his 90s, but he drove on 2 laners...

My other gram is in her low 80s and driving (although we wish she wouldn't).

MissCelia... I can't imagine never driving. I have an aunt and a cousin who have never driven and it seems so weird.

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 30, 2012

My husband's grandpa is 90 and still drives. It scares the heck out of me. Hubby's family wants him to stop, but his aunt (who lives closest to the grandparents) thinks he is fine.

He's not fine. He ran off the highway not too long ago, down a ditch, across another road, and landed in someone's yard. With grandma in with him. Going 60 mph. It was very scary. She says "it will kill him to stop driving".

Um, maybe, but so will continuing to drive. And maybe injure or kill someone else also. The aunt is about to become a grandma for the first time, and my husband asked her if she would want her grandson to ride with him, or be on the highway with him. She changed the subject.

Sigh.

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2012

KC... my gpa was that age, but like I said drove 2 laners where the speed limit is 55...not that he went that fast...he was more likely to cause an accident by going to slow!!!!

9. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2012

My mom lost her license when she was in her 80's. She had stopped in what they said was the middle of the road in her small town, to check something. She claimed she was over to the side of the road. After losing her license, she lost her "identify" in a way. She went downhill and didn't live very long after that.
    I think it's very dangerous for someone in their 80's to be driving.
    I got a kick out of your post, "Celia" about your parents being in their 60's and "still" driving! I'm 60.

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 30, 2012

My nana drives at 80 but she does not seem 80 to me at all. I haven't ridden with her in awhile to really say, though.

My other grandma never drove but she has a friend who looks ANCIENT and she sometimes picks grandma up for shopping at the Family Dollar together or into church together. It isn't far but it makes me nervous.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 30, 2012

My grandma never drove! Neither did my other grandma who came to this country in her 30s and never wanted to bother learning. My grandpa who is still alive is 90 now and stopped driving in his 70s. He was annoyed at the way people drove so he just stopped and had his sons drive him places.

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 30, 2012

Neither of my maternal grandparents ever learned to drive. My paternal grandfather died in a car accident in 1946, and my grandmother had to give up her car around 75. She wasn't a good drive in her prime, and she had gotten to dangerous to drive anywhere. She threw an absolute fit when she had to give up her car.

My dad was 71 when he died, and he drove himself to church on a Wednesday night. Then he went to the ER that night, an he died on the following Monday.

Mom stopped driving at 57 due to seizures. They were uncontrolled, so she couldn't drive. After Dad died, she started seeking treatments again, and they found a new medication mixture that really works great for her. She bought herself a new car, and she started driving again at 63. She's 65 now. She's a good driver. She doesn't drive on the interstate anymore. She drives around our town and the next closest town.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2012

I don't know if others will agree with me, but I very strongly believe that elderly drivers should have to pass a driving test at least every year (perhaps even every six months) and after any major medical event in order to retain their licenses. I've seen too many accidents and near-misses caused by elderly drivers.

A friend of a friend was in a car accident not long ago. It was in a small town, so the newspaper printed lots of pictures of the accident because it was the biggest news of the whole week. The elderly driver who hit her had crossed the center line. The dashboard of his car was covered in post-it notes with reminders about what button or lever does what, like "Up for right turn signal" and "Emergency brake". The car was obviously too much for that driver to handle, and he ended up causing a terrible accident that left a young woman with a broken back, pelvis, arm, leg, and lacerated spleen and liver.

My hoosband's grandfather was in his 80s and driving even though his mind was starting to go. One day he drove out to the end of his long driveway, swerved off the path, landed in the ditch, and couldn't figure out how to get out of the car or call for help. He wasn't hurt and he was a few hundred feet from his own house, but he couldn't figure out how to get out of the car and walk to his house. He stayed in that car for two days until a neighbor saw him and helped him. :( I wish that his family would have taken his keys away before something like that had happened. I'm sure that the event was very scary and traumatic for him.

14. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 30, 2012

I think both of my grandma's drove into their 80's. Both of my parents still drive, they're 76, my Mom's almost 77. I worry about my Dad driving. He just seems to be slipping. I don't know what I'll do when he becomes dangerous. I can't imagine trying to take the keys from him. We are so far away from them.

My MIL, is younger, early 70's, she & her husband who's 80 just bought a new car. They are making plans in a couple of years to trade the other car in for a newer model.

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2012

I giggled at that as well... my dad is in his 60s and drives a truck and trailer...LOL!!!! My dad is a good driver, but does have lead in his toes...LOL!!!!

16. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 31, 2012

My grandmother hasn't driven for decades (At least for the past 22 years i've been alive), ever since she had some kind of accident in a car. She's 72.

My great-grandfather died at the age of 86, don't know when he stopped driving, but it was sometime before he died (So in his late 70s/early 80s, when he moved in with my grandmother)

My grandfather drove until the week of his death at the age of 69, despite being blind in one eye.

One of my mom's co-workers, the court bailiff, is 93 and still drives. No traffic violations and drives excellently. He doesn't drive long distances though, the longest distance he drives in a month is to his senior center for bingo night.