100,000 new teachers in 10 years?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by cruiserteacher, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 27, 2011

I think that if the president can find jobs for, and fund, even 10,000 new teachers, it will be a good thing for education.

But, given the current economic climate, I don't understand how it would happen.

2. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Feb 27, 2011

OK--my two cents...I teach 6 year olds. I have a transitional class. My kids have done kindergarten and aren't ready (maturity) for first grade. I don't have curriculum. I do my own thing. We spend the first nine weeks focusing on math facts to 19 (no regrouping). Then we started subtraction without regrouping...now we are doing facts subtraction facts from 19. We will begin doing mixed problems in a few weeks. I also do a graph each week. We do glyphs weekly. I also do a reading page where each letter of their sight word is worth points and they have to add the letters to determine the total (kinda my version of Scrabble.)
    We will do double and triple digit addition without regrouping after spring break.

I am just sharing to give background. Another teacher (first year kind.) made a comment that my students weren't being challenged in math. How she knows this without visiting my room amazes me. A wonderful first grade teacher walking by stopped turned around and told her how my kids come knowing their facts making it easier for them to learn more. I am sure that I can add more to my lessons, but I don't want them to get so far ahead that they hate math next year when it is all review.

Just for the record, they all were able to complete this problem last week: 2 + X=16-6 They wanted to learn how to do math like high school students, so we did a few like these and they did this one on their own.

Sorry...my point is that we are expected to do so much in elementary, so our kids are getting enough repetition to master the skills.

3. ecl

ecl Rookie

Feb 27, 2011

Yes. It's called Everday Math.

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Feb 28, 2011

I hope I don't insult anyone, but here I go.

I think most people who teach specific subjects have a special interest in them. For example, history teachers are usually very passionate about history.

I think most people who excel in math and/or science go into career fields that are higher paying than teaching. For example, my boyfriend always did well in math and science and he in an engineer who makes two times what I make. I think it might be difficult to find people who are strong in math and/or science that want to go into education.

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 28, 2011

I must say I agree.