10 things I think they should do...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by scienceteach82, May 13, 2008.

1. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 13, 2008

(From www.ajc.com)

I started thinking about the ten things I’d like restaurateurs to know. Here’s my list:

1. The bathroom is part of your restaurant. Pay someone to keep it clean. Always.

2. Servers should know how to pronounce everything on your menu. “Gestapo” for “gazpacho” doesn’t cut it.

3. Servers should know what everything on your menu tastes like. The worst answer to the question, “how’s the coconut milk soup?’ is “I don’t know, I’ve never tasted it.”

4. Never think that #2 and #3, above, don’t happen. They do. They have.

5. Terms like “vine-ripened” and “organic” are only worth using if your ingredients actually are.

6. “Made-from-scratch” does not mean the same thing as opening a box and adding eggs and water.

7. The customer is always right. Really.

8. There is no place for smoking in a restaurant, including you, smoking at the back door on your break.

9. Sure, Anthony Bourdain is cool. You are not Anthony Bourdain, no matter how cool you think you are. Be yourself.

10. “Award winning” means that you have actually won an award. It’s not a catch phrase.

So, what would your list include?

3. AZSpedtchr

AZSpedtchr Rookie

May 13, 2008

I totally agree with these. Nasty bathroom=gross out for me...and I am sure I'm not alone!
    I guess I would also say:
    -Don't ignore a customer once you've served them. They might need more water, and they'd like to get the check eventually!
    -Please have your waiters/waitresses cover their chests/behinds. Don't need to see any crack/undies/etc!

4. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

May 13, 2008

1. Servers should acknowledge you in the first few minutes you sit down. Even if they are busy they should say they will be right with you.
    2. Guests deserve refills if the restaurant offers them.

And here is my biggest gripe... Servers NEED to ask you how everything is after they serve your meal! Coming back 10 minutes after you serve the meals is unacceptable!

5. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

May 14, 2008

I'm going to say that if one customer is moved from a spot for a wobbly table, DO NOT sit anyone else there!!! Same goes for it being cold, drafty, noisy... if the table is that big of a problem it shouldn't be there!

6. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 14, 2008

lol...I agree

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 14, 2008

Do you think we could put those reservation buzzers on our waitstaff, so if we do need something they would know instead of us looking like the ding dongs trying to get their attention!!!

8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 14, 2008

10 things restaurants should not do.

Do not have the greeters sit single, depressed, mad people with the worse waitstaff. ("hmm..Melba, yeah..Melba!") I took one look at Melba and moved myself.

Waitstaff should not call anyone 'dearie', 'honey', 'sweetie', 'you girls'...

Waitstaff should not plop the check down as if you knew we didn't want anything else.

Don't come up to me with your pad, never look at me, and say, "And yours?"

Don't make it obvious that you are kissing up and gushy at the table of 6, and just outright rude and nasty to me. Like single people don't tip.

If you are the manager, when I am upset don't come over, and get down on their knees to talk to me. That is so rude...WE do that to kids..but that is appropriate...for kids!

Don't hire staff that look like, well..they just got off the bus from high school. Spiked green hair, three tattoos, and hairdos that couldn't possible fit in a hair net. Yeah, they need a job, and you got bills to pay...but can you really have an appetite being served by somebody you can't help but stare at???

If I have allergies, be respectful and don't give me a hard time. Serve the dish plain, without the sauce, and don't tell me "Well, it will cost the same." or say..."It comes like that." What is this Burger King? Are you just nuking everything back there?

Get rid of those dreaded Star Wars light pads. Do something human, like call my name when my table is ready.

When you have a zillion people seated, and you know your seating capacity is 121, have the courtesy and common sense to turn people away. "I am sorry, but we have a wedding party...and they don't look like they are leaving any time soon...and we have customers already waiting over 30 minutes." Don't keep letting more peple in...tell us what is really going on!

9. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 14, 2008

oh yeah, and the staff that are on break, off the clock, just hanging around...

build a break room for them...or a covered smoking area...so they can laugh, tell nasty jokes, and get loud far away from customers who just want to relax and have a decent meal...without feeling like they are sitting in a high school parking lot..

10. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 14, 2008

nice!

11. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

May 14, 2008

The restroom is a reflection on the entire establishment. If the restroom is dirty, I figure everything else in the place is too. I will not eat in a restaurant that has filthy restrooms. Imagine what the kitchen must look like!:eek:

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 14, 2008

Haha I like all of those. One thing that annoyed me one time:

Hostess saying, "Oh,there's only a 2 hour wait". ( ONLY?????)Then she got snotty when we said never mind!

13. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

May 14, 2008

This is a huge pet peeve of mine. When I order a side of ranch,sour cream ,or extra sauce, and it doesn't come with the meal. Then I need to wait 10 minutes before they bring it. I get especially irritated when I remind the server and they say "sure" instead of "oh, I'm sorry- I forgot. I'll be right back." I am nerver rude to servers- that's just my pet peeve!

14. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 14, 2008

Have any of you seen the movie "Waiting"? That puts a whole new perspective on how you treat the wait staff...ick

15. newbie1234

newbie1234 Companion

May 14, 2008

My pet peeve is that a reservation should mean something. I hate being seated 30 minutes after the time I reserved.

Another thing that annoys me is when I go to an upscale restaurant, which I must add is infrequently, and they have plastic flowers on the table. If I'm paying $200 for dinner (which as I said is very, very, very infrequently), buy some real flowers for the tables. Sheesh.

Here's the rest of my list:

1. My child is a customer, not an inconvenience. He's old enough that he gets his own meal and his own drink, which will enhance the server's tip. If you don't want to serve children, don't advertise that you're a family restaurant, and I will be happy to deduct his meal from my bill when I calculate the tip.

2. A menu isn't a novel. It's better to do a few really good dishes than 100 really bad ones.

3. If your menu reads like War and Peace, please don't get snippy if it takes me a few minutes to decide what I want. You want customers to make snap decisions? Trim a couple dozen pages off your menu.

4. This is actually a big problem in Florida: the menu should be accurate. Catfish and tilapia are not grouper. I eat tilapia; if that's what you're selling, label it correctly and I'll probably buy it. Don't take me for a fool.

5. You're not the most brilliant person who has ever walked the earth. I know sarcasm when I hear it, and I don't want to deal with negativity on my night out. Rude or sarcastic waiter? Move me to a different table or I'm walking out. I have zero tolerance for people who are trying to ruin my day.

6. Update the darn specials! If you're out of fresh salmon, erase it from that nifty chalkboard you have at the front of the restaurant. That takes what, five seconds? Cross it off from the paper insert you hand out with the menus before you hand it to me.

16. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

May 14, 2008

Here's another: don't sit me at the tiny table in the back when there are several large booths available!

I can understand if the restaurant is packed, but when it's slow..c'mon!

17. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

May 14, 2008

we have had trouble getting the waitstaff to our table in a timely manner the last 2 times we ate out, we were eyeing the condiment packets at the tables as a means for nutrition lol................

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 15, 2008

How do you guys tip? I know people always say at least 10-15% and that that is the only way the servers make their money. Well, I have had some that were doozies and didn't deserve 10 cents! What do you do when they really mess up? Still leave a tip? One time i got the wrong order. Then it took 20 more minutes to get the right one. In the meantime my husband's dinner got cold while he waited. They didnt' offer to do anything to compensate and it was totally the waitress' fault. My husband still left a tip. I wouldn't have!

19. newbie1234

newbie1234 Companion

May 15, 2008

I give 20% unless the server is intentionally disrespectful, but I don't eat out that much.

20. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 15, 2008

I give 20% as well...unless they are crap...then I try to pay with cash so they can't add in tip w/o me knowing. One person my ex worked with did that! UGH

21. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

May 15, 2008

20% unless they are disrespectful

22. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 16, 2008

I left a penny one time---we were at Hxxx Rxxx in St. Louis on vacation. It was around 4 in the afternoon. I had a small child with me and an older child. My husband and I ordered our meals, our son ordered and our daughter ate baby food. I asked for a glass of water for my daughter. It had lipstick on the rim. I had to wait 15 minutes for another glass that had crackers in the bottom. Then our food was cold. The whole time our waiter stood in the corner flirting with a girl half his age. Then we waited twenty minutes for our ticket. We were one of five tables in the restaurant at the time. So our bill came and it was $39.99, I left $40.00 and walked out. The waiter chased me down the sidewalk yelling at me because I didn't tip him. I was so mad. I stormed back into the restaurant and asked to speak to a manager. The manager was out running an errand. I have never been so mad.

I waited tables for 8 years. I put myself through college waiting tables. I earned enough to pay for my first car in cash. I was good at it, so my expectations are high. I tip fair, but not if you don't do your job. If you go above, I not only tip better but I speak to your manager to compliment your work. I don't expect you to stay at my table all night, but watch my glass. Check on us time to time, and be polite. Also I don't want to hear about your boyfriend or your problems in life. I am there to get away from it all.

23. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 17, 2008

I don't tip when I am unemployed and broke. My mom said to me.."You get better service, and they don't get paid much."

I said, "I still get lousy service, and I am not getting paid at all."

If I can scrape up $7 bucks for the lunch menu, to get off my feet, look over my interview schedule, perk up a little, and have a decent meal ...I think I did good that day.

I can't afford the extra $1.

When I can, I come back and tip.

And I guess somebody would say, why not go to McDonald's?

oh..guess because I am spending $5.00 there. Same difference. They have jobs, I don't.

I don't tip my manicurist or hairdresser either...

Don't know...seems like you would be tipping the dry cleaner too. :confused:

I went out one night with my daughter when she was little. And when I got the check, I said..what's this extra charge? they told me it was customary after 6 to add a 30% gratuity tip on all meals. I said, I didn't see that on the menu..and had him call the manager, and I told the manager..I was not paying it...

and it didn't

24. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 22, 2008

I worked in a resturant at night the 1st yr I started subing (before I started classes @ my college) anyway all those are good and the place I worked for (lets call it X) X lets new employees test a sample of all menu items so you can say I have tryed it and do not care for it or I love this dish! The host (I was one) were responsible for cleaning the bathrooms they always looked good when I cleaned them.

25. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

May 23, 2008

I escpecially hate it when I'm expected to tip at Starbucks, picking up take-out, at a fast food place, ...

26. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 23, 2008

no, I can't see that kat53...they are paid minimum wage, and get discount on meals...I can't see that at all!