10 Questions about Heading Back to Class

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherSandra, Jul 25, 2008.

1. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2008

1. What grade will you be teaching this year? PreKinder

2. Are you especially nervous about this school year? Not really...at least, not yet!

3. If you had an extra $50 to spend on the class, what would you purchase? I'd love to have the extra money to purchase colorful material for my bulletin boards and a really nice cabinet with shelving for the students.

4. Your ideal class size would be...13-15 students; not 20!

5. You're hoping that...this year, I'll have a great set of classroom parents, please no drama queens this year...not even one!

6. I'm not looking forward to...getting a paycheck! It's been tight around here!

7. I wish my principal/director...would back us up regarding school policies!

8. Do you know what you'll be wearing on that first day of school? haha! All I know is a pair of slacks and a top!

9. Have you spent more than $25 for your classroom yet?? Nope!

10. What is your favorite school celebration and why? I really love Valentine's Day! For most of the kids, sharing cards is new to them and they LOVE it; I LOVE watching their faces as they open up their cards!

3. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2008

1. What grade will you be teaching this year?
    Second

2. Are you especially nervous about this school year?
    Yes and no. More excited. Lots of new changes.

3. If you had an extra $50 to spend on the class, what would you purchase?
    A circus tent.

4. Your ideal class size would be...15

5. You're hoping that...this year all of my new teachers on my team will meet my enthusiasm.

6. I'm not looking forward to...strep throat in November (I always get it!!)

7. I wish my principal/director...answer his emails

8. Do you know what you'll be wearing on that first day of school? Not quite yet!

9. Have you spent more than $25 for your classroom yet?? Yes

10. What is your favorite school celebration and why? I like our Halloween Hall that PTA sponsors. I also like the family nights we put on for parents/students.

4. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 25, 2008

high schoolers - freshman through seniors

kinda - I am teaching an AP class I haven't taught before

I would buy a new set of classroom maps

4. Your ideal class size would be...
    20 students

5. You're hoping that...
    I have at least half my students pass the AP Euro Exam

6. I'm not looking forward to...
    the activity period our principal adding this year

7. I wish my principal/director...
    would communicate on a more regular basis

8. Do you know what you'll be wearing on that first day of school? haha!
    haven't even thought about what I will wear yet

9. Have you spent more than $25 for your classroom yet??
    Ummmm . . . yep :) I had spent $25 by the end of June

10. What is your favorite school celebration and why?
    Basketball homecoming - it gets us out of our winter funk :p

5. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2008

1. What grade will you be teaching this year? 5th

2. Are you especially nervous about this school year? Not yet...

3. If you had an extra $50 to spend on the class, what would you purchase? Hmmmm... Probably the basics (paper, pencils, colored pencils, etc)

4. Your ideal class size would be...20 sounds good

5. You're hoping that the parents who requested me like me as much as they think they do.

6. I'm not looking forward to all the meetings.

7. I wish my principal/director all the best :) I love her!

8. Do you know what you'll be wearing on that first day of school? I have put on a few lbs this summer, so probably a mumu.

9. Have you spent more than $25 for your classroom yet?? No Comment ;)

10. What is your favorite school celebration and why? I love Back to School night, and I love our special school night where everyone comes in a performs. It is great to see the kids and parents.

6. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jul 25, 2008

1. What grade will you be teaching this year? 4th

2. Are you especially nervous about this school year? absolutely terrified! It's my first year.

3. If you had an extra $50 to spend on the class, what would you purchase? I feel like I don't have enough math manipulatives, or science manipulatives. I would also like a social studies trunk--some things to show and use when teaching SS.

4. Your ideal class size would be...18-20, but I am dreaming here. My class right now has 22, and the others are maxed out, but only because I am in an "educational condo".
    5. You're hoping that...I don't mess up any kids. I am so scared that I am not going to be able to meet the needs of all the kids in my class. I just want to be the best I can for them and worry so much about it.

6. I'm not looking forward to...getting the first week or so under my belt. I am just scared! Plus, they tell you in college to teach procedures, but they don't tell you HOW! I have practice teaching subjects, just not procedures and I feel like that is such a big gap in my knowledge and it makes me scared.

7. I wish my principal/director...would hire another brand new person, so that someone else can feel jsut like me, right now. Everyone keeps saying that felt this way last year, or whatever year they started. i want someone in my school who feels jsut like I do right now, so that I know that I am normal, and not just really freaking out!!! My principal and ap have both been so warm and supportive.

8. Do you know what you'll be wearing on that first day of school? haha! NO! and I would love to go shopping, but I am broke from buying everything else. Between my classroom and my own children, I have no money for me!

9. Have you spent more than $25 for your classroom yet?? That seems to be the daily average around here lately. Really though, it hasn't been that bad till I got a small addition to Vista Print and Ebay.I've found some great book sets lately.

10. What is your favorite school celebration and why? I really love them all I think. I can't think of one that stands out, cause the kids are usually excited about them all, so that makes me excited. Normally, back to school is my favorite, cause I love the deals and the supplies. I am a school supply nut. I have so much fun in the supply aisle.

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 25, 2008

1. What grade will you be teaching this year? Kindergarten

I am really excited for this year! I had a challenging year last year and feel like I really have something to prove.
    3. If you had an extra $50 to spend on the class, what would you purchase? Probably math manipulatives

4. Your ideal class size would be...2 .. just kidding, that would be boring, as long as it's not over 24, I'm fine.

5. You're hoping that this year all of the teachers on my team will not key my car. There I'm only half-kidding, we've had some difficulty. I hope they will make decisions based on what's best for the kids.

6. I'm not looking forward to...two weeks of inservice to sit through before I can get in and start teaching. :rolleyes:

7. I wish my principal/director...would come into the classrooms more to actually see what's going on before making "suggestions" for things that we already do.

8. Do you know what you'll be wearing on that first day of school? This is going to sound so lame but, my Mom still will buy me an outfit (usually it's from Wal-Mart) a skirt and a button-down shirt, I know :yawn:

9. Have you spent more than $25 for your classroom yet?? Ummm, YES! :whistle:

10. What is your favorite school celebration and why? Honestly, our school doesn't really do much, I usually invite the parents to hear a Reader's Theater about the 1st week in May, the kids work so hard on their fluency and I like for them to be able to show-off a little.

8. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 25, 2008

1. What grade will you be teaching this year? High School Spanish, mostly Juniors and Seniors

2. Are you especially nervous about this school year?Yeah. I'm extremely excited. It's my first year so I vacillate between "Holy crap! This is awesome!" :D and "Holy crap! What I'm getting myself into!?!" :p

3. If you had an extra $50 to spend on the class, what would you purchase? I'd buy some flags from other Spanish speaking countries. I have a lot of stuff from studying abroad in Mexico, but Mexico isn't the only Spanish speaking country in the world and I want my room to show that. I would also buy a Spanish magnetic poetry kit to put on my mini white board (2ft by 1.5ft)

4. Your ideal class size would be...between 20 and 25. I had a class during my student teaching that was 33 freshmen for an hour and a half. I always left that class feeling like I was punch drunk from a brawl.

5. You're hoping that...this year will go well and I can establish myself as a GREAT teacher.

6. I'm not looking forward to...waiting for a month to get my first pay check. I lived off my savings during the spring semester when I was student teaching. Then at the beginning of the summer, my job informed me that they would not be bringing me back for the summer, so I haven't received a paycheck since December. I am TOO broke.

7. I wish my principal/director...umm...nothing. I've never met the guy. I'm new to the school, he's new to the school. We just haven't crossed paths yet.

8. Do you know what you'll be wearing on that first day of school? Umm...dress pants, a nice shirt and some comfy but dressy shoes.

9. Have you spent more than $25 for your classroom yet?? Yup. But since I'm a brand new teacher starting out with nothing, I don't think that's too bad.

10. What is your favorite school celebration and why? Valentine's day is fun to watch because high schoolers go over the top wearing pink, white and red and walking around with 4 foot teddy bears and blimp sized helium balloons that say "I wuv you! You teeeerrific!"

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2008

1. What grade will you be teaching this year? 6th

2. Are you especially nervous about this school year? I am always nervous to meet the students...I just emailed my dad explaining to him how scary it is! :)

3. If you had an extra $50 to spend on the class, what would you purchase? Well, I still have over $350 of classroom money to spend, so this is a good question for me to think about. If a had an extra $50 I would like to get some "extra" things, like one of those cool (but kind of sad) gel ant farms discussed earlier this week!

4. Your ideal class size would be... I think 22 is a good number of sixth graders...there are enough students to generate discussion, but not too many that you can't easily provide for all of them.

5. You're hoping that... I will not overload my plate with the classes I am taking.

6. I'm not looking forward to... Well, long story short we are totally revamping a particular class and I am NOT looking forward to that. I worked so hard last year preparing to continue teaching the class as it has been (making files, posters, etc.) and now those cannot be used. :(

7. I wish my principal/director... would be more vocal. It is really strange...if one person is constantly late, just for example, he will not address that with the one person...instead he just mentions the importance of being on time at the next group meeting. If I am doing something wrong I want to know about it!

8. Do you know what you'll be wearing on that first day of school? The same thing I wear every other day.

9. Have you spent more than $25 for your classroom yet?? Yes, yes, yes!

10. What is your favorite school celebration and why? We don't really have anything...well, I do always enjoy the Black History Assembly. It is infused with Christian messages and I LOVE to see that in public schools. I know, I know...that is a another thread!

Good questions!

10. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 26, 2008

This is a great thread!

11. msmath

msmath Rookie

Jul 26, 2008

1. What grade will you be teaching this year? 7th

2. Are you especially nervous about this school year? Nope, not really. I am excited and, actually I can't wait!! There are little things I am nervous about, but once I get back into it, I will be fine. I love the beginning of the school year. You start out fresh and can improve or change anything that didn't work the year before. :)

3. If you had an extra $50 to spend on the class, what would you purchase? Hmm probably more books/ resources to use with the kids.

4. Your ideal class size would be...15 would be amazing. Instead I will have 30+ in each class.

5. You're hoping that...I'll incorporate technology more into my curriculum....my CTT class will go well.

6. I'm not looking forward to...having 8th period lunch (2pm).

7. I wish my principal/director...wouldn't yell at us like we are children, and really you shouldn't even yell at children the way she yells sometimes!

8. Do you know what you'll be wearing on that first day of school? not yet!!

9. Have you spent more than $25 for your classroom yetYes, I just ordered like $120 worth of stuff.

10. What is your favorite school celebration and why? I like our class parties before winter vacation. We all need a break around then, and it's a nice time.

12. msmath

msmath Rookie

Jul 26, 2008

6. I'm not looking forward to...getting the first week or so under my belt. I am just scared! Plus, they tell you in college to teach procedures, but they don't tell you HOW! I have practice teaching subjects, just not procedures and I feel like that is such a big gap in my knowledge and it makes me scared.

Read Harry Wong's book. It really helps with going over procedures. My first year I didn't do this as well as I should have, but the second year was much better and the outcome was great.

You have to teach them like you teach content. Explain, model, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! Be extremely consistent. When they forget a procedure, stop and go over and practice it again. I even give my kids a procedure/rule quiz that first Friday (I teach 7th). Have the major procedures posted in the room. For example, I have the procedures for Entering the Classroom and Exiting the Classroom up all year. In the beginning, I go over it every day they come in. I remind them; I thank them and praise them when they are doing it well, and we stop and practice if they forget. This is the same with all procedures. Eventually, it becomes routine for them, but it may take some time. CONSISTENCY is the key!!!

Check out Harry Wong's book if you haven't already. It really gives good tips on procedures. Good luck!!! Consistency, and practice are so important. You can have kids model the correct way to do different things, and have them model the wrong way. You can even make it into a game. You can't just tell them once. It needs to be covered a lot those first weeks of school. If you do that, your class will run smoothly. :)

13. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2008

1. What grade will you be teaching this year? first grade

2. Are you especially nervous about this school year? Not really...

3. If you had an extra $50 to spend on the class, what would you purchase? book cases

4. Your ideal class size would be.. 20

5. You're hoping that..no parents requesting their child be moved into my room months after the year has started

6. I'm not looking forward to...waking up in the morning earlier than 9;00!!!!!

7. I wish my principal/director.. hmm... he's great can't think of anything to say!

8. Do you know what you'll be wearing on that first day of school? Nope, not yet!

9. Have you spent more than $25 for your classroom yet?? Yes, but don't tell my husband!

10. What is your favorite school celebration and why? The last day, we (staff) get infront of the school who are all holding hand made flowers, we're dressed as gardners and our principal reads a poem about the children being our flowers and us being the gardners. Then we all (staff) stand in the front of the building with big baskets of apples. We say good bye and hand out apples to each and every student

14. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 26, 2008

1. What grade will you be teaching this year? 2nd

2. Are you especially nervous about this school year? A little bit. I'm always anxious about how it will go.

3. If you had an extra $50 to spend on the class, what would you purchase? Uhmmmm ... already spent it... Starfall journals and dictionaries -- love those Starfall journals and dictionaries.

4. Your ideal class size would be... 16 students.

5. You're hoping that... my school keeps their promise not to make me the inclusion cluster teacher. I already have the autism inclusion cluster, and both of them together is just too much. I did it for 5 straight years. It is somebody else's turn.

6. I'm not looking forward to... feeling leftout by my grade level colleagues... who are all quite young, military wives, and either with small children or planning babies. I try to fit in, but they don't make it easy.

7. I wish my principal/director... would be a little more aware of what goes on in the school.

8. Do you know what you'll be wearing on that first day of school? I could care less -- so long as it's clean and it fits, I'll wear it.

9. Have you spent more than $25 for your classroom yet?? Yes.

10. What is your favorite school celebration and why? I can't think of one I especially like.

15. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 27, 2008

1. What grade will you be teaching this year? 8th

2. Are you especially nervous about this school year? Yes - We lost half our teachers at the end of the year so we have all new teams this year. Yes - Last year was extremely challenging (my second year) and I've had trouble recovering from the stress.
    3. If you had an extra $50 to spend on the class, what would you purchase? Hmm probably more books/ resources to use with the kids.
    4. Your ideal class size would be...15-20 would be great but I expect I'll have 24-25.
    5. You're hoping that...This year's kids will be an easier group to work with, that they'll learn and follow procedures some time before June unlike our last group, that I'll be an even better teacher than I was last year, that I'll relax some time between now and when school starts..

6. I'm not looking forward to...my schedule this year - three classes in a row without any breaks.

7. I wish my principal/director...would listen more and not shut down. You can see a shield come over the eyes and you know that you've hit a subject that is not open for discussion even though it should be.
    8. Do you know what you'll be wearing on that first day of school? Not yet.

9. Have you spent more than $25 for your classroom yet?Yes, I probably went past that by the end of June - books, paper, decorations, cleaning supplies, etc.
    10. What is your favorite school celebration and why? I love our school team day. It is in the early part of the year, each team (we are a middle school) wears t-shirts they have designed (the field becomes a sea of color), competes in fun "olympic style" activities and earns points. Last activity involves the teachers. THe whole school participates including our high needs kids! It is a blast!

16. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jul 27, 2008

First Grade

I'm not nervous about starting again, but I'm worried that my classroom won't be finished in time. :eek:

Some more low-level bookcases.

12-15 students. I find that everything runs so much more smoothly when classes aren't over 15. I also have time to give each child one-on-one instruction. It's great. :) Last year, I had 28 in my class. :(

5. You're hoping that...
    I'm hoping to really be able to make some gains in my students' achievement levels. Hopefully, I'll have the opportunity to apply everything I've learned in MA in Reading and Literacy.

the faculty meetings, sigh.

I'm not sure yet since this is a new school :) So far, she seems very friendly and helpful.

8. Do you know what you'll be wearing on that first day of school? Ummm. Probably a pair of slacks and a shirt.

Not yet. :) The Sonny gift card is going to help a lot!

Christmas/Winter celebrations. At my old school, the students went to a high school were the received Christmas presents. When we came back, my students worked on building Gingerbread Houses. Then they did some graphing in regards to it and wrote about their houses too.

17. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jul 27, 2008

I think my favorite questions so far is number 8. I'm loving the responses!

18. ms_teacher

ms_teacher Companion

Jul 27, 2008

1. What grade will you be teaching this year? Fifth
    2. Are you especially nervous about this school year? Yes. It's my second year, so I won't have the excuse of being a first year teacher now... I think I'll be expected to be an expert
    3. If you had an extra $50 to spend on the class, what would you purchase? An eggspert or a classroom mailbox

4. Your ideal class size would be. Anywhere b/w 18-20. Last year I had 27!!!

5. You're hoping that...I'll be more organized

6. I'm not looking forward to...getting the school year started. But not quite yet.. I'm REALLY enjoying my summer vaca

7. I wish my principal/director...would lower my class size

8. Do you know what you'll be wearing on that first day of school? Something spiffy (LOL)

9. Have you spent more than $25 for your classroom yet?? Yeah right... $25 and then some :blush:

10. What is your favorite school celebration and why? Last year was my first graduation. It felt especially rewarding seeing the students celebrating this accomplishment!!

19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2008

1. What grade will you be teaching this year? Grades 5-8 Special Ed; English to the grade 4 French Immersion class

2. Are you especially nervous about this school year? Not nervous, but apprehensive about a few things.

3. If you had an extra $50 to spend on the class, what would you purchase? A couple of Mp3 players to download novels to.

4. Your ideal class size would be...20-25 (instead of the 30-34 that is our reality

5. You're hoping that...I can really get through to a couple of the difficult students I'll be working with and get them ready to go off to high school.

6. I'm not looking forward to...some potential conflict with one of the teachers I'll be working closely with. We'll have a rough time setting our roles and boundaries.

7. I wish my principal/director...be easier to read.

8. Do you know what you'll be wearing on that first day of school? Either capris or khakis (depending on the weather) and the school polo shirt we'll all be getting at the end of August.

9. Have you spent more than $25 for your classroom yet?? Of course.

10. What is your favorite school celebration and why? It would be a toss up--December holiday concert, variety show or grade 8 graduation.

20. Cateacher2b

Cateacher2b Companion

Jul 27, 2008

1. What grade will you be teaching this year? 2nd Grade

2. Are you especially nervous about this school year? Yes Definitely!! It's my 1st year and it's a brand new school.

3. If you had an extra $50 to spend on the class, what would you purchase? I really need center materials!

4. Your ideal class size would be...18 students with 9 girls and 9 boys who all get along!

5. You're hoping that...this year, I'll have a great set of classroom parents, helpful teachers, and a son who lets me get my grading done!

6. I'm not looking forward to...getting a paycheck! It's been tight around here! Me too

7. I wish my principal/director...get me my curriculum and class list

8. Do you know what you'll be wearing on that first day of school? haha! I want to wear a dress and nice shoes..gotta start shopping!

9. Have you spent more than $25 for your classroom yet?? Yep, about $150

10. What is your favorite school celebration and why? I really love Christmas. It snows here and makes it feel more special!

21. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

1. What grade will you be teaching this year? 1st

2. Are you especially nervous about this school year? Not nervous, but concerned about a few things and how they will go...

3. If you had an extra $50 to spend on the class, what would you purchase? A decent listening center tape player

4. Your ideal class size would be...14-16

5. You're hoping that... My AP will have the confidence in me that my P has.

6. I'm not looking forward to... having to schedule my own bathroom breaks around my classroom schedule!

7. I wish my principal/director... would help mediate (sp?).

8. Do you know what you'll be wearing on that first day of school? Considering my purple/tan flower/vine print skirt with a dark purple short sleeve shirt.

9. Have you spent more than $25 for your classroom yet?? YES

10. What is your favorite school celebration and why? Our school Olympics (that was renamed Spirit Week this past year) It's very similar to field days in other schools... the whole school is active and having FUN!... TOGETHER!

22. Lareigna

Lareigna Companion

Jul 27, 2008

1. What grade will you be teaching this year? 6th grade math

2. Are you especially nervous about this school year? Anxious to get started, a little nervous because the last time I tought math was 2 years ago to 5th graders. Last year I taught LA.

3. If you had an extra $50 to spend on the class, what would you purchase? Wow, manipulatives.

4. Your ideal class size would be...20

5. You're hoping that... It will be a good year and that my teammates will be more accetping of me than the ones I worked with last year.

6. I'm not looking forward to... disclipine problems and possibly having some of my students that were retained last year back in my class this year.

7. I wish my principal/director... not walk away from me when I am talking to him!! (I know he is busy but...) He is famous for doing that and it drives me crazy!!

8. Do you know what you'll be wearing on that first day of school? It's to far away to decide.

9. Have you spent more than $25 for your classroom yet?? Wow, way more!! :D

10. What is your favorite school celebration and why? Our school has a lot of events that go on through the school year such as Red Ribbon week (Say no to drugs), Pig races, Walk against hunger and others.

23. 5thgradeTNteach

5thgradeTNteach Rookie

Jul 27, 2008

1. What grade will you be teaching this year? 5th grade Social Studies

2. Are you especially nervous about this school year? Not really, just a little anxious about some of the discipline problem students!

3. If you had an extra $50 to spend on the class, what would you purchase? An extra bookcase

4. Your ideal class size would be...Ideally I would LOVE 16, but I will probably have about 25 in a class!:eek:

5. You're hoping that... everything will work out with a overbearing teacher from last year that was lead teacher and now that I am lead teacher I hope that she handles it okay and realizes that we both have different leadership styles; I hope that I have a great set of parents and one who will step up and be room mom; and lastly that everything goes well with the completion of my masters degree in December and with my graduation!

6. I'm not looking forward to... disclipine problems and uncooperative parents;)

7. I wish my principal/director.. would be more visible in the building and not just limit herself to the front office!

8. Do you know what you'll be wearing on that first day of school? Probably a pair of dressy capri pants and a dressy blouse with a pair of sandles.

9. Have you spent more than $25 for your classroom yet?? About $100.00 so far!

10. What is your favorite school celebration and why? We have several that I really like, such as 5th grade graduation, 50s Sock Hop, but my favorite is our Christmas celebrations!!:)

24. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Jul 27, 2008

1. What grade will you be teaching this year? HS Math - 4 classes of 9th grade and 1 class of 10th grade

No, more excited because I'm transferring to a new school.

3. If you had an extra $50 to spend on the class, what would you purchase? I'd like to purchase more hands on activity sets..especially since I have a special ed class this year

4. Your ideal class size would be... between 22-26... I had 34 freshman during the last period of the day & it was too much. My other classes had 24..which i loved

5. You're hoping that... the transition into a new school will be smooth

6. I'm not looking forward to... being the new person! I hate having to introduce myself over and over to people!

7. I wish my principal/director.
    ...I've only met him once for my interview and he was very nice. He was previously a teacher in the school. Apparently he really cleaned it up well.

8. Do you know what you'll be wearing on that first day of school? Black pants and a top that I will probably go shopping for in the next few weeks.

9. Have you spent more than $25 for your classroom yet?? Probably around $15

Pi DAY! March 14th (3.14)... the school does a lot of nice stuff in order to celebrate it. && I do love Halloween... I love candy so I might as well share that with the kids!

25. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2008

1. What grade will you be teaching this year? 12th grade English.

2. Are you especially nervous about this school year? Nope.

3. If you had an extra $50 to spend on the class, what would you purchase? Something for my Macbeth movie project.

4. Your ideal class size would be: Thirty. I have had a couple of very small senior classes, and I find that I need a "critical mass" of about 28-30 for things to work well.

5. You're hoping that... the kids will be responsive to the Power Teaching techniques I'm going to integrate into my classroom management.

6. I'm not looking forward to... my 12 Standard level class, because I had a few of them for 7th grade. At least I had the chance to confer with the 11 Standard teacher, so I know what to expect.

7. I wish my principal/director... continues to stay out of my room!

8. Do you know what you'll be wearing on that first day of school? Probably nice capris and a cotton twinset with comfy sandals.

9. Have you spent more than $25 for your classroom yet?? Heck yeah.

10. What is your favorite school celebration and why? I like Halloween because I dress up as Elizabeth I of England, and I also like the Finale Rally in May when all the seniors wear their new college shirts.

26. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2008

Here are my answers!

27. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 27, 2008

28. Iluvkids

Iluvkids Rookie

Jul 27, 2008

1. What grade will you be teaching this year? 6th grade

2. Are you especially nervous about this school year? A little, it's my second year teaching and I'm in a new grade level.

3. If you had an extra $50 to spend on the class, what would you purchase? books for my library- non fiction to connect with the Social Studies content

4. Your ideal class size would be: about 20

5. You're hoping that... my teaching team works well together, we're a new team

6. I'm not looking forward to...having some of the same kids from last year, it's a great class but for a couple, one year was enough

7. I wish my principal/director... continues to support me. And becomes more assertive, she hates making decisions and isn't great in front of large groups.

8. Do you know what you'll be wearing on that first day of school? Probably capris or khaki pants and a shirt

9. Have you spent more than $25 for your classroom yet?? yes but most of it was district money

10. What is your favorite school celebration and why? Football homecoming week (Spirit Week) because the kids get so into it and excited to be included with the high school (K-12 all in one building)

29. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 27, 2008

1. What grade will you be teaching this year? 2nd grade

2. Are you especially nervous about this school year? I had an amazing class last year, and I know the 1st grade teachers complained a lot last year, so yes, a bit.

3. If you had an extra $50 to spend on the class, what would you purchase? book shelves, more cool lighting

4. Your ideal class size would be: about 20 (this will be my lowest year, as we just hired a 3rd teacher!!!! But I don't want to jynx my number by writing it)

5. You're hoping that... my kids are better than the 1st grade teachers let on, hopefully they matured.

6. I'm not looking forward to...having a 2nd grader who reads level A:eek:hmy:

7. I wish my principal/director... continues to support me. She has been such a great principal and friend.

8. Do you know what you'll be wearing on that first day of school? one of two new skirt outfits.

10. What is your favorite school celebration and why? Field Day-I remember how much fun it was as a kid, and I love watching them enjoy it.

30. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 27, 2008

1. What grade will you be teaching this year? 3-5 moderate/severe

2. Are you especially nervous about this school year? Not yet!

3. If you had an extra $50 to spend on the class, what would you purchase? tissues & hand sanitizer

4. Your ideal class size would be...3-5 kids

5. You're hoping that...no over-involved, "I want it my way only" parents!

6. I'm not looking forward to...trying to learn everyone's name and/or room in the school

7. I wish my principal/director...new school, so I'm hopeful that she'll recognize my abilities

8. Do you know what you'll be wearing on that first day of school? well, I can promise at least one thing--my bra will be white!

9. Have you spent more than $25 for your classroom yet?? um, define "more than"--at one time? :whistle: yup.

10. What is your favorite school celebration and why? I like any of them, except Open House....ick!

31. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 27, 2008

1. What grade will you be teaching this year? 3rd grade inclusion (after 4 years of 5th!)

2. Are you especially nervous about this school year? More so than usual.

3. If you had an extra $50 to spend on the class, what would you purchase? Supplies to do more hands-on science and cooking activities.

4. Your ideal class size would be...12 students.

5. You're hoping that...my first year in 3rd will be successful, both for myself and my students.

6. I'm not looking forward to...working with a new case manager for my students.

7. I wish my principal/director...would realize what exactly I am capable of.

8. Do you know what you'll be wearing on that first day of school? Something cool, as we have no A/C and our classroom this year gets the p.m. sun!

9. Have you spent more than $25 for your classroom yet?? No.

10. What is your favorite school celebration and why? We do a Holiday Traditions celebration instead of individual classroom Christmas parties.

32. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Jul 28, 2008

1. What grade will you be teaching this year? Kindergarten

2. Are you especially nervous about this school year? I'm starting to get nervous since I was told I would have at lest 50 kids and the number keeps rising everyday. We have no where else to put a class, so it is all me. Oh, and I am getting 6 children with autism that will be fulltime push-ins.

3. If you had an extra $50 to spend on the class, what would you purchase? I'd buy more math materials

4. Your ideal class size would be...18

5. You're hoping that...Things are not going to be as bad as they sound right now

6. I'm looking forward to...seeing my fellow teachers and catching up... I get to share that I am the 7th teacher to get engaged!

7. I wish my principal/director...would get a third kindergarten class for next year

8. Do you know what you'll be wearing on that first day of school? White capris and a black and white babydoll shirt

9. Have you spent more than $25 for your classroom yet?? Yes, but I have spent less than I have in the past

10. What is your favorite school celebration and why? I like when fourth grade comes to play the dreidal game with us since most of the students have never played before and they think it is a really neat game

33. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 28, 2008

third

no

material to sew nice curtains instead of the old, ugly, dusty things we have now!

20 students

5. You're hoping that...
    I don't have 29 students like the year before last...too many kiddos for my small room!

the back to school meetings.

was easier to read.

8. Do you know what you'll be wearing on that first day of school?
    My cute new birthday shoes...and something else that goes with it.

Sigh...yes. I've spent about 15 times that amount!

Valentines Day Party because the kids love looking at all their cards, enjoy eating their treats, and have fun!

34. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jul 28, 2008

1. What grade will you be teaching this year? 3rd!

Yes. New school. New corporation. New policies. New grade level (I taught 4th last year). New curriculum.

3. If you had an extra $50 to spend on the class, what would you purchase? Construction paper. We have to buy our own for the kids! I was flabbergasted!

4. Your ideal class size would be... The smaller, the better! 14-16 students.

5. You're hoping that... this year will go very well for me. I'll make new friends with the teachers I'll be working with. I also hope to have supportive parents. No parent drama, please!

6. I'm not looking forward to... meeting my new students. I'm also looking forward to trying new things in my classroom this year. Oh, and the pay increase I took by moving to this corp. is an added bonus! :)

7. I wish my principal/director...would be supportive and consistent with discipline!

8. Do you know what you'll be wearing on that first day of school? Oh dear. I haven't gotten that far yet. Probably capris and a colorful shirt.

9. Have you spent more than $25 for your classroom yet?? More like 4 times that.

10. What is your favorite school celebration and why? I like them all. It's fun to watch the kids cut loose and have fun with the games and crafts.

35. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jul 28, 2008

1. What grade will you be teaching this year? HS

2. Are you especially nervous about this school year? Yes!!! It is a new school for me...

3. If you had an extra $50 to spend on the class, what would you purchase? composition books for vocabulary

4. Your ideal class size would be... 15

5. You're hoping that...
    I can balance this new job, online classes, and my other 2 jobs (part-time receptionist at dealership and petsitter!) Oh...and still have a life!

6. I'm not looking forward to... Teaching block classes

7. I wish my principal/director... Would recruit other teachers to help with Science Olympiad too

8. Do you know what you'll be wearing on that first day of school? No idea

10. What is your favorite school celebration and why? Last year it was fun doing our end of year party...cause it was the end of the year ;)

36. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 28, 2008

1. What grade will you be teaching this year? Interim teacher for language, speech, & hearing class.

2. Are you especially nervous about this school year? Not really

3. If you had an extra $50 to spend on the class, what would you purchase? Stickers & incentives

4. Your ideal class size would be...caseload of 20 would be nice!

5. You're hoping that...this year, I'll have a group of well behaved students!
    6. I'm not looking forward to...waking up at 5:30am again!

7. I wish my principal/director...would be as supportive & as fair as possible.
    8. Do you know what you'll be wearing on that first day of school? Nice pants or skirt & blouse! Cool clothes, after all, it will still be hot!
    9. Have you spent more than $25 for your classroom yet?? Don't need to.
    10. What is your favorite school celebration and why? I really love Christmas time. I usually throw a little party, bring doughnuts, give little gifts, maybe play Chistmas music softly in the background.