10 hour days

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Grammy Teacher, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2006

I teach Preschool in a private daycare. We are open 12 hours daily. We work 8 hours. Part time staff fill in after we leave. It is difficult to find qualified part time staff. Today the director asked me what I thought about us working 10 hour days, 4 days a week. We would have one day off each week(plus our weekends) and we would rotate days off so that everyone had a chance at the 3 day weekends. Does anyone have an opinion either for or against this idea?

3. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Mar 22, 2006

I would like it! I never had days off until this year, because of school and working two jobs. This year I have three days off every week, and it's so nice. I get so much more done!

4. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2006

Would that be hard for planning your weekly lessons? What would happen to your lessons on the days you had off? Would you still make lesson plans for that day? What do you think about it? I am not sure how I would like it. I'm on the fence with that one.

5. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2006

Weekly planning would remain the same. The relief person or whatever they would be called, would carry out my lessons as planned(I would insist on it) I think I would like having an extra day to get things done or just be at home.

6. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2006

Grammy I did this at a center I once worked at. It has it's pros and cons. Because of the center I worked at, I was very thankful to have a day off during the week because I hated working there. If it was a center I enjoyed I would worry about not being there every day for my kiddos.

I guess it depends on what you think would be easier and better for you. It's really nice to have a bit of a break during the week, or an extra long 3-day weekend. It tends to make the whole week go by faster. On the other hand the 10 hour days can really make the day drag, unless you get done early enough.

Could you try it out and then let your director know if you like it or not? I think that would be the way to go. You could love it, or you could end up hating it. Try it out, it couldn't hurt.

7. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2006

We are not really "ready" to do it yet. I am concerned about a 10 hour day dragging on. I would probably be done about 5:00. Right now I am done at 4:15, so there is not a huge difference in that. I really like my job there. It's a wonderful place to work . I really didn't give much thought to how I would feel about not being there one day for the kids and the possible chaos that it could create in that way. However, at this point, I am more concerned about when I have to leave at the end of my shift and they are stuck there for another hour or more with a high school girl who can't handle them.

8. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Mar 23, 2006

I would jump on it. I work from about 6:30 - 4:30 anyways. To get one day extra off a week would be wonderful!

Kelly :)

9. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 25, 2006

I am usually exhausted after an 8 hour day--so I don't know if I could make it another two hours.