1 year vs. 2 year

Discussion in 'General Education' started by kcjo13, Jun 10, 2009.

1. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 10, 2009

Question for all you negotiators (jdub??)...

We had our first round negotiating meeting with our board this morning, and they shocked the heck out of me by proposing a 2 year salary contract. Not a locked in contract where you couldn't leave if you wanted to, but a negotiated agreement. And pretty much told us they would give us whatever increase we asked for, plus more rows down on the salary schedule.

So what are the pros of a 2 year agreement? Cons? I talked to a vet teacher I know, and her first reaction was to take it, due to the unstable economy. But I wanted to get some input from those who have experienced it.

TIA!!

3. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jun 10, 2009

I agree that in this economy it would be a good idea to accept a two year contract. Although, I am not sure what you mean by a negotiable two year contract. If you want to PM any details, that would help with the cons. For example, changes in class size, professional development, reimbursement, changes in insurance, etc.

4. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jun 10, 2009

Wow! That sounds like a great thing. Obviously you have really impressed them. I say take it, especially since it isn't locked. What do you have to lose? In the area I live in you are required to be one 1 year probationary contract for 3 years, if you have less then 5 years of teaching experience. I think you have a great thing being offered to you. I

5. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jun 10, 2009

Sounds like a good thing to me too.

6. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 10, 2009

They only had 2 items on their list, the 2-year contract, and to increase our insurance deductible from $350 to $600. As far as the negotiable two year contract, I mean that if someone wanted to leave, they wouldn't be held to a contract, but that the base pay and everything else we agree on would be good for 2 years. Does that help?

We are such a small school, we don't have class size issues, you get what you get (for example, I will have 11 next year, and that won't change-that's the whole class). Other items we asked for were:

1. Rows most importantly, and columns
    2. Ins. deductible remain the same
    3. Base increase of 4%, which would be $1,063
    4. Add NHS sponsor to extra duty schedule
    5. Pay for covering classes
    6. Ins. coverage for retirees for 1 year (that'll never happen, but it's a good one to give up)

7. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jun 11, 2009

Overall that sounds like a great contract. The length of a contract be it one year or four can be both good or bad depending on the terms of the contract. If your bargaining unit likes a contract, you want it to last longer. If it's a bad contract you want it shorter. So each side of the bargaining table may have something to gain or lose on the length of a contract. Although, your board may not want to bargain each year, since it is so time consuming and draining. Both sides can be fair and agree to terms that both sides can live with for a certain length of time. Just make sure that there isn't language in the contract that might be detrimental to the teachers or the learning environment. Otherwise, the points you have in your post seem pretty good.