1 to 1 initiative

Discussion in 'General Education' started by wcormode, Sep 6, 2012.

1. wcormode

wcormode Rookie

Sep 6, 2012

I have been working with my building principal for some time at researching a 1:1 initiative for the high school students. We are up about 26% in enrollment at this point (small school that is just 21 extra students 6-12). If the numbers hold until September 20th then he is fairly confident that the board will approve a purchase of some sort.

What we are struggling with is what to request. He owns an iPad and likes it but I dont like how restrictive iOS is. I mentioned the Nexus 7 if we were getting a tablet but then I found out that they ship with JellyBean which has no flash support. So both the Nexus 7 and the iPad would not allow us to use any flash websites including our credit recovery program, e2020. I did make it clear that if we get a tablet of any kind we should also get bluetooth keyboards for every tablet.

Alternatively we have been thinking laptops or netbooks. All of our teachers have Macbooks and I like the control I can have over all of the macs with Apple Remote Desktop. But they are so darn expensive. We have a google apps account and it keeps asking me to upgrade to Chromebooks which is a cheaper option but I have never used one so I am not sure if they will work for everything we need.

I would like to hear from people who work in high schools that are 1:1 on what kind of device they have and what apps/programs you use and for what subjects.

Also if you just have an iPad/tablet that you use in class what apps are good for High School Math/Science/Reading/History?

High School only please. I can find plenty of stuff for young kids but I can never seem to find high school appropriate stuff and we will only be giving devices to high school students.

3. teresateaches

teresateaches Companion

Sep 6, 2012

My entire district is a 1:1 district. We have Dell laptops for the entire secondary population (35000 students +). I hate Dells. I own a personal Mac and it is so much smaller, so much more user friendly and just a better computer all around.

The district originally had Macs and they were passed down to the Elementary kids when the contract was up and they needed to buy more. The Dells were $100 cheaper each. When you times that times the number of computers they needed to buy, it was a savings of 3.5 million +.

If you can go with Macs, do that. They are a far superior machine.

I would not get tablets. They have a place in the classroom but not for a 1:1 initiative, IMO. They are too restrictive.

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 6, 2012

5. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Sep 6, 2012

I have been in two districts (both with K-12 enrollment of >800) who have rolled out 1:1 initiatives K-12. One of the districts was the first to do it in the state to undertake this project! Both districts went with Mac's and neither of which have regretted it. The ability to create projects was the real outstanding factor for the HS level.

Cost is a factor of course. One of the districts just renewed and decided NOT to go with Mac because of budget. They still have the old Macs around if needed for some projects.

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 8, 2012

We're 1:1 for all high schools and use HP tablets with all the standard Microsoft software loaded. I like them! I use an iPad at home, and I think it would make some things (like typing essays!) more difficult.

7. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2012

Do you like being 1:1?

I'm a pretty hard core computer geek, but I find too much emphasis on technology for the sake of technology. I make my kids do a research project using actual books from the actual library.

I just feel that technology is often a crutch and real learning gets lost in the process. Now, I do certainly use a lot of technology with my classes, and we are on computers often: using real scientific data, spreadsheets, mapping programs, etc.

I would prefer solid computer education classes and a moderate use of computers in the classroom to being 1:1. Many of my students can only do simple, basic things on the computer and bypass the Facebook block, but beyond that, their skills are minimal and limited. (these are seniors)

On the topic of which, as much as I love macs and enjoy the OS, I think a Windows based machine would be better as they are far more widespread in the business/working world.

8. Momzoid

Momzoid Companion

Sep 8, 2012

I know you said no elementary, but in my system we were supposed to go 1:1, K-2 with i-Pads 3rd with net books and the rest with lap tops. It has been the biggest nightmare. The company that the e-text books are from, its web site cannot support the traffic. There is not enough band width for everyone to be on line at the same time. Yesterday it took 1 hour for two of my students to take an online test. The kids can't log in and if they do they are bumped off in minutes. To top it off our superintendent is lying to the public about how wonderful everything is working.:dizzy: This is happening in every school in system. I think you are better off with lap tops, but make sure that your server can support all the students and teachers online.

9. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2012

We all (teachers) got iPads last year. At first, I was completely sold, but I've found they are not as useful as PCs: The keyboard does not promote actual typing skills, Flash is not compatible, Pages is not as versatile as Word or Open Office (and Google Docs is not a solid alternative), there is no port for flash drives (and online data storage sites do not reliably perform well with all types of data), and printers that are not iPad compatible cannot be used.

Personally, I would like every classroom to have a Netbook cart.

10. wcormode

wcormode Rookie

Sep 8, 2012

Very small community, library is out of the question.
    I think the operating systems have gotten so close that it is easy to transition between the two, plus Macs are far easier to manage than PC's. Personally I am a PC guy but in my computer classes I am happy that we have Macs.

11. wcormode

wcormode Rookie

Sep 8, 2012

I have heard this from other schools. I have made it abundantly clear that we need to upgrade the bandwidth and server before we go through with this.

12. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 9, 2012

I use a lot of animations in my class that require Flash. So I'd not be happy with an iPad.

Are these machines staying in the classroom or being assigned to the students? When I was at a 1:1 school we had quite a bit of theft going on. The kids were expected to take their laptops home and often they would end up stolen.

13. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 9, 2012

Our kids take their laptops home. We have very few stolen ( I think 2 in 7 years!)

Molly, I LOVE being 1:1! It has revolutionized the way I deliver content. My students have so much instant access to information and it allows me to let lessons flow and change around those "teachable moments"!

14. mrsenglish

mrsenglish Rookie

Sep 9, 2012

I have a cart of Chromebooks for my English class. The issues arise if you want to do any sort of project involving something that is not available on the internet or through the apps store. My students can't use MovieMaker, etc. We have to go to a computer lab for something like that. But for general use in class, love them.

15. wcormode

wcormode Rookie

Sep 10, 2012

Chromebooks is starting to look like areal option. All the savings in money can be used for bandwidth and in three years no teacher has ever asked me to install anything on the lab computers.

16. wcormode

wcormode Rookie

Oct 11, 2012

I have some more question so I hope to bring this discussion back to life.

How big of a problem is the time it takes for a laptop to start up every class? What about battery life? I have 4 plug-ins in my room and I cant have computer cord all over the place. I have a 11 cell battery on my computer and it can only be unplugged for about 4 hours. Most of the laptops we are looking at come with 6 cell or less.

Because of battery life, startup time, and ebook reading we are starting to look at tablets. Specifically the KUNO tablet. Has anyone used a KUNO?

17. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Oct 11, 2012

Depending on the laptop, it can take anywhere from 1 to 5 minutes. I put a signal on my board that indicates to students if they need to have on their laptop. I have quit bell work that requires the laptop, so, while students are doing bellwork, they can be turning on their laptops.

As for battery life, it becomes an issue. I DO have cords all over my classroom. You get used to it. So do students. The best invention ever is the power"strip" with the retractable cords. I have 3 of them around my room, students use them as they need.

We have Lenovo Tablets. I haven't heard of KUNO.

18. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Oct 11, 2012

19. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Oct 12, 2012

We have it in the middle school where I work. Scratch that...the general ed teachers have it in the middle school where I work. We weren't offered laptops in the separate EC setting.

Anyway, most of the kids take care of them. However, they are causing a lot of problems too. Whether it is broken screens, broken keyboards, searching for inappropriate things, or just being off-task, it seems like we are ALWAYS having a meeting about these laptops.

I think the high school students might handle them better.